What's your favorite Hog Gun?

Discussion in 'Hog Hunting' started by hobocatfisher, Feb 16, 2006.

1. hobocatfisher

hobocatfisher New Member

State:
    Texas
    Just thinking about a new gun for Hogs and looking for some feedback.

2. triggerhappy

triggerhappy New Member

State:
    IL
    At what ranges? Are you close in over dogs?

For close work I think a nice 30/30 carbine nice. Actually the any of the lever guns or remingtons 7600 pump in 308 or 30-06 carbine (only saves .25 lbs and the 4" shorter barrel would put it right with the 308 ballistically)

3. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I love my ruger 10/44. 5 founds of 240 jhp as fast as you can pull the trigger. If he is running at me I want to know I have a good chance of stopping him. Dont want to know what those tusks can do to me.

4. tbones23

tbones23 New Member

State:
    St. Louis, Missouri
    I like my Browning 30.06. Does a nice job makin' sure they don't have the gumption to get up and tree ya!! ;-)

5. Mountain Cur

Mountain Cur New Member

State:
    Missouri, Warsaw
    "triggerhappy" is exactly correct. 7600 / .308 / 165 gr. bullet. Personally I still shoot an old 760 it functions flawlessly. There are a few "hawgs" around Truman Lake and some are """big and tough."""

6. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Cats,Bears or Hogs with dogs,where you can end up in a thicket,a 44 mag.in a shoulder holster works great.Wear something over it,so that it won;t snag.Shotguns are great,if practical(range).Most rifles for longer range.For smaller caliper,or less powerful rifles,use a solid bullet where legal,for penitration.For the hunt that you will never forget.Find someone with trail and catch dogs.You catch the hogs and bring them out alive.That was the way they were hunted in my day.peewee-williams

7. augila

augila New Member

State:
    Texas
    Mossberg 12 ga. pump with slug barrel and rifeled slugs out to 50 yards. Change barrels and shoot some ducks and squirrels with the same gun.

8. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    id never go hog hunting without a side arm strapped on. i use a ruger .357 magnum. lol killed a 300 lb russian boar with a .22 magnum once. had ta shoot him bout 20 times though.

9. hobocatfisher

hobocatfisher New Member

State:
    Texas
    Well basically I'll be shooting within 75 yards and most hogs will be around 100 thru 200 pounds. I have been thinking of a 30/30 or 270 cal. A 308 would be good also, but I feel a 30/06 might be over kill. I have a friend who uses a 45/70 that will roll any hog and at 100 yards can knock a 50 pound rock for a loop. Talk about over kill. I have a 12 gage Mossberg with slugs but I'm really looking for that perfect gun to get the job done. I fell I'm not good enough with a hand gun to even think about using one.

10. tater7905

tater7905 New Member

State:
    kathleen, ga
    i am tryin to decide between my remington 30-06 or my mossburg 12 ga i know it depends on my distance. what do yall think

11. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    Had an interesting weekend on the ranch fellas and this is a great place to tell ya:

Our client ran out of arrows and got chased around a tree 5 or 6 times before he got dizzy, the hog got his pantleg, and guide #2 had to finish the pig with a shotgun.

I asked the customer if he was ok... his reply: "This is the best F***ing hunt Ive ever been on!" My answer: "Great- Now go to the showers and wash your britches and hang em up next to the pig." LOL.... Thank God he didnt go down too far off from us.

A 12 gauge works fine with a good slug in it.

My preference always has been for up to 100 yards, a 240 grain platinum jacketed hollowpoint shot out of a .44 Remington Magnum. It really REALLY ensures a good solid punch and typically they dont take a second step.

My other group used a 300 mag. It was a good gun but WAY WAY too fast. blew clean through the hogs and though it gave us a good two-lung spray as the hog headed off, it really seemed to be too quick a round.

The 30-06 I think will do fine, but if you're planning on being in close range just opt for the 12.

12. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    Pee Wee, I hear ya man. Down here, a dead hog is a wasted hog. Gotta feed em out for a while. A good catch dog is far more valuable than a gun. A gun won't lock down on their ears while you grab em:)

13. Dnedster

Dnedster New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    It all depends on the area your hunting if your shots will be close 50-75 yrds. Go with the shotgun do you have a slug barrel with sights? Other wise the 06 will take'm out darn near as far as you can see them I would go with Nosler Partions in 150 grs. Good luck

14. lonegunman88240

lonegunman88240 New Member

State:
    new mexico
    round here i use one of a few weapons for hogs, mostly i use a 150 lb crossbow, scoped with a 25x shotgun scope, most recently been using my 50 cal black powder rifle, and carry a 44 cal cap and ball revolver as back up, and have taken hogs with my 36 cal cap and ball, and my .22 lr single action revolver with 6 inch barrel, dont know why but have never used mu 60 lb compound bow on hogs,

15. rednecksportsman511

rednecksportsman511 New Member

State:
    Birmingham, AL
    sks is the standard around here. cheap, pretty dependable, plenty of punch, plus u can pop off shots real quick if ur ever in trouble.

way we hunt 'em round here is just spot n stalk. if we're lucky we can ease up on 'em if the wind's in our favor. otherwise we usually see one run off and stalk it. man i love pig huntin

16. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    I like my little Daisy BB gun.. Wow what a kick, lol. I dont pig hunt just wanted to add some Humor to this convo.

17. KATMANDO

KATMANDO New Member

just got back from texas. we took 8 hogs only three with guns 223,30-06 and 357mag . the rest were knife kills. so i would haft to say a heavy 8in blade.:) the one in the picture broke from the dogs and charged me:0a5: two 180grain cast core 357s dropped him about 1 foot from my feet. my guide put his hand on my chest and with a grin ask the last time that happend in ohio? i think my heart started to beat right again!!!!!!

18. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    i reccomend a 308 with a bull barrell and use 200 grain fmj

19. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    dogs are the only way to hog hunt .mountain curs to getem bayed and bull dogs to catchem.

20. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I just use a switch and order them to get in the back of the truck.
    Same weapon is used for bear.

Danny