Whats your favorite gobbler gun?

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by Wabash River Bear, Mar 4, 2007.

1. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    What is the turkey tamer of choice in your neck of the woods? Mine is a Mossberg 935 Magnum duded up in new mossyoak breakup.:cool2:

2. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    i use my benelli franchi 912, advantage timber coating, semi auto, 3 inch magnum shells. full choke durin turkey season

3. Jay Jay

Jay Jay New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    I use a winchester 1300 12ga. 2 3/4 -3 in. turkey N.W.T.F. with a bantam 2-4.5 scope ,tasco, its ingraved with a turkey scene , its a pump, I use a extra full choke . I have real bad eyes ,but the scope does the trick . The biggest tom was 23 1/2lbs . Didn't get one last year ,but most years I do! Oh yea ! I won the gun at a N.W.T.F. banquet, it was one that my business catered .

4. brian sax

brian sax New Member

State:
    shawnee kansas
    A 12 gauge remington 870 express super mag with an undertaker choke tube. I dont think you can get much better than the 870.

5. bluesclues

bluesclues New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Amen brother, ("WRB") the 935 is kick ass for turkeys and yotes. The
    3 1/2" #5's Winchester do the job just the way we like it. Smoke the turkey but dont pass up a yote!! I had a 870 supermag before this gun and it was awesome too I just wanted a semi auto.:004:

6. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I have an 835 camo that I use for turkey, geese and the coyotes also, it's bad medicine.

7. huntsfromtree

huntsfromtree New Member

State:
    KC Northland
    Well my favorite is my Bowtech, but when the huntin gets tuff I break out the old mossberg 835 and some 3 1/2 mags in number 5 or 6.

8. Blue Duck

Blue Duck New Member

State:
    Idaho
    I have taken quite a few with my 870 Rem. But this year Im going to try my Savage 12/.223 over and under.

9. YellaCat

YellaCat New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I use a Benelli Nova pump 12 gauge. I have an extra full choke that'll stack em' in there. The Benelli is also my duck gun. Browning BPS 10 gauge for the geese. Browning Gold 20 gauge for the doves.:big_smile:

10. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I've not hunted turkey's with a shotgun ,But I'm going too this year and my shotgun is my old faithful Ithica mod37 field grade 3" I've taken a truckload of honkers with it and I'm sure it'll do

11. talk2sampson

talk2sampson New Member

State:
    smithville mo
    I also shoot a benelli nova with a tru glow x-tra full choke. I dropped a tom last year at 55 yards.

12. reddcat

reddcat New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Browning A-5 3" Browning extra full choke Copper plated 4's

13. greg

greg USCA - STAFF Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    GA/ Ia
    I did all my turkey hunting when I was in high school. and that has been ages ago. I used a side by side American arms 10 gauge.

14. HoggyO

HoggyO New Member

State:
    PA
    I just picked up a Camo Mossberg 835, Have'nt shot it yet, but when I do I'm sure I'll have no problem taking down some gobblers!!

15. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Beware, keep your cheek out of the way the first time. LOL. A guy at work got one last spring and wasnt prepared for a 3 1/2" magnum turkey load out of a pump action, short barrelled, thumbhole stocked, handheld howitzer. Nearly broke his cheekbone.

16. HoggyO

HoggyO New Member

State:
    PA
    WRB,

Thanks for the tip! I'll be sure to prepare myself for that first Blast!

17. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    They aren't that bad but they do have more recoil with Turkey loads than with steel goose loads.

18. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Dear Brother's and Sister's;
    Greetings!:smile2:
    I have to agree with Brother Sax!:wink: I have a Remington 870 Super Express in 12 ga. that I modified myself and can switch it from Turkey to Self Defense/Combat, to Dove, to Squirrel, to Quail, to .... well you get the idea.
    There is no better pump to be bought especially if your running a lot of rounds through the barrel! Have the ability to handle either 2&3/4", 3", or 3&1/2 shells is an advantage too. Plus, with the 870 you can get by with a lot of loads that might not function as well or as reliably in the recoil operated guns such as the Browning A-5 {but I have one of these too and love it!:smile2: } or some of the various "Gas Guns" out on the market.
    Folks, those of you using the Brownings please remember to keep your friction rings in the correct adjustment for the loads your using!
    For those of you on a budget that are running less than 10 boxes a year then consider the Mossberg 500's or there are a few Bolt Action Shotguns out there too! For Turkey Hunting your NOT under gunned using a Bolt Action Shotgun!
    Also, for those of you whose eye's are not what they used to be, there are Shotgun Scopes that are on the market to help with this problem too. While some eschew a scope on a shotgun for certain purposes, I would much rather use a scope than having to deal with only wounding my animal, have it get away from me, only to face a slow horrible death later on, or worse! If I am hunting, and I do so for meat not trophy, I owe it to the animal I am pursuing to dispatch it in as humane manner as possible!
    And finally, EVERYONE, keep your firearms CLEAN and in Good Working Order and not only remember but DO Hunt SAFELY and watch out who you Hunt with too, especially where certain politicians are concerned!:wink: :smile2:
    I'm sorry! I did not mean to get into a lecture here but perhaps the words above will help some of you out. If so, then I have done my job. If anyone has any questions that I might help them with please feel free to PM me and I will do my best to help you out. :smile2:
    Fraternally and Cordially,
    Coyote1
    [[[[[End of Post]]]]]

19. crmule

crmule New Member

State:
    Orange City Florida
    Hi guys and girls I just thought I would put my two cents worth in .I have used a single shot 410 3" with bb shot.
    It gets them good out to 30 yards and has a tight pattern.It's lite to carry and swings fast.and very easy to conceal in the florida bush .I have never wounded and lost a bird because I pick my shots well and don't take chances.
    be well crmule

20. brian

brian New Member

State:
    minneasota
    my stoger2000 with the turkey choke realy knock's them down