What's Your Favorite Flathead Casting Rod

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by fullstringer, May 4, 2009.

1. fullstringer

fullstringer Member

State:
    Indiana
    I am looking to upgrade my arsenal and was wandering what you guys thought was the best flathead catfish rod when fishing around timber. I am wanting to pair the rods I choose with Abu Garcia Catfish Pro Rockets and would like them to be 7' to 7' 6" in a heavy action. Any help or insight is greatly appreciated.

2. xnmcclurex

xnmcclurex Active Member

State:
    Pittsburgh Pa
    i like the catmaxx rods from Basspro shop. they give enough bend but when fighting a fish it gets the job done

3. varmint_sniper

varmint_sniper New Member

State:
    OHIO
    i like the quantum big cat rods in 7'6 hvy action

4. One Legged Josh

One Legged Josh New Member

State:
    Ohio
    7'6" Tiger is hard to beat.

5. CatfishCC

CatfishCC New Member

State:
    Ohio
    7ft 6inch big cat rods heavy

chad

6. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i got aberkly glowstik,any body think them are good for a big blue , i like the fact i dont hlf to bring a but ive heard they arnt that sturdy, let me know

7. fullstringer

fullstringer Member

State:
    Indiana
    I currently have 3 CatMaxx Rods and don't like the eyes on them. I feel they are cheaply made. I also prefer not to have a foam handle. Thanks guys!

8. Harleycat

Harleycat Member

State:
    INDIANA
    surge rods say no more.

9. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    As you can see, there are MANY opinions, and most would work very good. I'd say it would depend soley upon your budget. If you have the money, I'd say buy a custom rod, $65 and up. If you are on a budget, the 7'6" American Spirit Pro Nite Sticks haul 'em in real good. I also always had great success with the Berkley 'Big Game' rods in the 6'6" length MH. My only beef with the Berkley rods was the flimsy eyes. Again, if you got plenty of cash lying around, buy a custom rod. If not, either of the above mentioned will suit your needs just fine. All I mate my rods with are Abu Garcia reels, so your set with your rockets!

Bill in SC

10. xnmcclurex

xnmcclurex Active Member

State:
    Pittsburgh Pa
    your handle is foam? mine is cork but i bought it a few years ago

11. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Catfish Safari Flathead Rod, 8', med/heavy.

12. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    For big cats I love St. Croix and pete manins musky rods. I mostly use the 7'6"-8' models.

13. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    talk to mr flathead, he can cast 200 yards with theese safary rods, they cost a fortun but you get what you pay for, now this is for big rivers and current, any rod thats on tributarys or lakes for flatheads will work, but im talking for moster fish in deep water,

14. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I have 2 American Spirit Nite sticks that I have had for years and fished rivers and lakes and have never found a fish they would not handle. I have fished with more expensive rods ,but can't say I've fished with ant better. I had Fenwick Lunker Sticks back in the 70's they were great rods but they met with their demize. Not fishing related though. Price doesn't make the rod cast farther.

15. USE TO BE

USE TO BE New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I fish with Glowsticks. The 7 footer, I would not trust with a big cat day in and day out. I've got an 8 footer that I landed a 53 lb nasty male Flathead with, no problem. I prefer the 9 footers as they have a little more backbone than the 8 footer. I landed 9 flats with the glowsticks ranging from 23 to 57 lbs. Actually, the 9 footers will horse them right in, but the 8 footer is a little more fun, because it is a bit more challenging.

16. REBELYELL1861

REBELYELL1861 New Member

State:
    TX
    bank fishing i just stick a 1/2 in pvc about 2ft in the mud and 4 ft out so 6ft long with an eye bolt through the top of the pvc then i put a wing nut on it sos i can take it off for retyin. i use 50 lb berkly big game line. twirl it and let go, it goes far. then i tye the line. to the eye bolt. BAMMM
    THERES THE BEST ROD

WHEN A FISH BITES I JUST PULL THE PVC OUT OF THE MUD THEN WALK BACKWARDS TILL THE FISH IS ON SHORE

17. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Daniel,
    That's a Great idea,,, I just need to get a Longer Boat when on the water,,, and, find a place where I'm not on a steep Riprap bank, 15-20' above the water line..when I'm bank fishing...at night. I'm just no good at walking backwards up Rip-Rap..:big_smile:

But,,, Seriously, now,,:tounge_out:

I build the Rods I use for catfishing,,
    7', fast-Med/Hvy with about 14" rear handle, trigger seats, and 5" or so foregrip,
    I don't need to usually cast more than about 50 yds, but, like to have a lot of leverage when bringing a fish in..
    so far, so good, pictures in the Fishing Rod Review section,!!!
    I've got several rods over 7', but, don't seem to use them very much.. up to 11'

18. fullstringer

fullstringer Member

State:
    Indiana
    The rods I have now have cork handles. I was just saying I would rather not have foam handles. Thanks!

19. catfishguy

catfishguy New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I have two Catmaxx rods myself. I must say I was and am very disappointed. The rods are much too stiff. The eyes fell out without ever catching a fish on the rods. Flatheads pull and feel the resistance and run the other way. I like a rod with a strong backbone, but flatties need a sensitive tip. The nite sticks I own have been extremely successful with flatheads and blues. I really think they are the best rods out there for the money. However, I am getting ready to buy either the Catfish Safari flathead rod, or the Team Catfish 1 ton rod. I wouldn't mind have the channel cat rod or the half ton rods either. I can't wait to add to my collection. The only things I wish was different about both of these rods are the facts that they don't come in 9 ft and the don't have cork handles. Oh well. I guess I can always change them out if I have too. Let us know what you decide and how you like it. I'm in the same boat as you though.

20. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    My favorite is my 8' Catfish Safari rod