Whats Your Favorite Fishing Conditions?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Marshall, Jul 3, 2008.

1. Marshall

Marshall New Member

State:
    Junction City,
    I was just curious to what everyone thinks is the most favorable fishing conditons. Im not really sure about mine. Never really bothered to worry about the weather and the dreadful eastwinds. Im gonna start focusing on these kind of things more and want to get an added boost by hearing some of you guys opinions. Lookin forward to the replys! Thanks.

2. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    I like an overcast or at least mostly cloudy sky with light winds coming out of the west or northwest in the spring or fall.

In the middle of the summer I like about the same but I fish at night only and like to have the barametrice pressure to be below 30 and falling, but below 30 and rising is okay to. Just don't like the pressure to be steady.

Water temperatures play a big factor too especially in the early spring when the weather is bouncing back and forth. Water temps above 63 degrees is when I like to fish. Seems to me the fish start moving and feeding better when the surface temp gets above or around 63 degrees.

If I know a front is coming in that's when I like to plan a trip. When a front is coming in I know the pressure is usually gonna be either fallin or rising.

Watch for fronts moving your way on the weather satelite days in advance and try to plan trips right before it gets to you. I know that isn't always possible due to jobs and other things but when ya can plan a trip before a front and everything else lines up it usually ends up in a good fishing trip for me.

Good luck fishing

3. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I try to fish around the new moon (I fish tidewater areas, and the tides are bigger on the new and full moons).

April and May are my favorite months.

Prefer the river to be running a bit low, but not too low...

A little breeze to ripple the water seems like a good thing.

I prefer a clear sky - not for the fish, just so I can look at the stars, plus the mosquitoes are not as bad.

4. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Very interesting , I always thought that was the worst time to catch flathead. Ill have to try your system. Thanks. :big_smile:

5. NewMexicoCatfisher

NewMexicoCatfisher New Member

State:
    Alameda, New Mexico
    I like to fish directly after a thunderstorm or early morning after a night of rain. It seems that, here in NM, that turns the channels on and I often catch 20-40 in the river by house.

6. rob128146

rob128146 New Member

State:
    Rockwell, North Carolina
    I like a hot evening with the temps fallin' about 15 degrees at night. Light wind but not to much just enough to make the water move. I like the bar. pressure to be about 30-40 rising a little or fallen. And I like the BIGGUNS' bitin'!! Honestly I'll fish anytime as long as the wind don't move my boat when anchored. But different times when temp, water temp, pressure, wind from directions, water flow, and time of the day and year all play into effect. I encourage everyone to keep a running jornal of all of this when fishin' and also what you catch and i promise you can refer to it later and it will help you and you will catch a lot more fish.:big_smile:

7. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    I usally don't even bother going when theres a low pressure front in. In my opinion your wasting your time. The blues will bite but not the flats.

8. Apache Flats

Apache Flats New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az
    I like fishing just before, during, and just after a new moon very important to me. Water temps above 70 and my favorite months are july - oct. Almost forgot little to no wind. You know those nights when it gets sooo quiet almost scary you know something is about to happen :crazy:and then bam it's on.:big_smile:

9. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I seem to catch some really good ones in the rain!!!!!

10. Mr_Catfish

Mr_Catfish New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I love high water, best when it is still going up. Creek mouths ,end of islands,behind bridges,behind log piles, or anything else that blocks or slows the current.But be safe and don't go on boat if water is too high or there is alot of debris in the water.No need to risk your life for some fish.

11. clintok

clintok New Member

State:
    oklahome
    does the wind affect the catfishes eating habbits?

12. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    That is a really good question. I have caught some good ones in the wind too. But I mainly like to fish at night with a light rain and not much wind.:wink:

13. Marshall

Marshall New Member

State:
    Junction City,
    Those are some very interesting replys. I fished last night from 6 till 2 no luck though. It was raining on an off early and turned into a steady rain later. winds around 10mph. fiashed live gills cut gills night crawlers, crawdads. Caught a couple perch on the craws. At least I landed something lol. Again guys thanks for the info and replys.

14. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i don't get to go except on short notice, so i will fish regardless of the conditions. when i was younger and had a choice, rising water or falling water on the river was a great time to hang into a few. at low water we'd take note of holes and pockets above the water line, then hit those areas during rising water. also, the little feeder creeks off a fast section of river that are dry most of the year. after a good rain and the water gets even faster, the baitfish will get up there to get out of the current and the flatties will be up there after them.
    now i only get to fish for flatheads in lakes. it is always windy here, so i don't think wind has much to do with it, except for your comfort level.

15. Eudora

Eudora New Member

State:
    Lambertville, MI
    I like a hot July night, water fairly high, and a dark moon. I do my best fishing right at dusk, with midnight being a fairly productive time, also.

16. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    slightly rising barameter, south or west winds..Stable or a slight rise on the water levels.

No falling waterr or east winds.

17. just a redneck

just a redneck New Member

State:
    kansas
    sorry.keyboard.broke.i.like.going.at.night.grabbing.the.biggist.bait.i.can.find.and.a.6.pack.of.beer.i.go.any.chance.i.get.not.very.exact.science.but.it.is.always.fun.and.i.even.manage.to.catch.a.few.fish.most.of.the.time

18. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    non of this is known fact but its what i like.my best flats come after a big rain and the river is up and roaring.i fish slack water areas just off the main current.i fish with native nite crawlers that i raise myself.i know i can here you now nitecrawlers.my best flat is 37 1/2 lbs.and worms is what he wanted.im also fishing a small river 30 lbs is a huge fish in it.
    blue cats if im fishing for big cats i want a dead calm blue bird sky.i fish a lot of floating structure and the sun drives the fish up under the structure.i use my depth finder to see how far down under the water the structure gos and then i use a cat bobber to present my bait about 1 foot to 18 inches below it.personal best 70 lb.blue was caught this way.
    for eating fish i just downsize my bait and fish the same way.

19. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    warm 75 80 degree nites a little overcast and realy still for flatheads for channels a little wind

20. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I love to fish after a good rain when the river is chocolate and ripping like trout streams.