Whats your favorite Catfish Chum

Discussion in 'Homemade baits' started by PeZ, Sep 1, 2006.

1. PeZ

PeZ New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I got a 2 lbs bag of Bil Jac im gonna try and some old ferrett food.

And im gonna get some dry dog food all mixed and see what it does for me.

Please feel free to post ur recipe here

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

For prepared "chums" I like to take the cheapest canned dog food I can find (dollar store) and mix with cheap dry food put it in an onion bag are burlap sack and tie it off i the water. But my favorite is soured cracked corn thrown out loose in the water and then done up in a bag.

3. maverick43812

maverick43812 New Member

State:
    ohio
    i use dry dog food,vanilla,cream corn and garlic salt. put it all in a 2 liter bottle and let it set out in the sun. make it on mon go fishin fri- sat havent had a bad night yet

4. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I was wondering if you just dump it in the water are poke holes in the bottle are what? I am always trying new things and this woould be one.

5. maverick43812

maverick43812 New Member

State:
    ohio
    hope you have the same luck with this did you get my PM?

6. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Yes sir I did and I thank you for your quick response.

7. rbaggerly

rbaggerly New Member

State:
    OKC Area, Oklahoma
    I like to use Milo soaked in a 5 gallon bucket of water for a week or so and then either transfer to a burlap sack or just dump it in the hole.

8. Duzy

Duzy New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    We use cow cake, or sour corn.

9. Memphis_Catfish_King

Memphis_Catfish_King New Member

State:
    Memphis,TN
    dinner bell chum bye magic bait works every time

10. go_cats_go

go_cats_go New Member

State:
    Texas
    Canned Corn or Soured Milo

11. catman849

catman849 New Member

State:
    Alabama
    What is the quickest and cheapest chum that i can get??? I have used the dinner bell chum and it works but not as good as i would like. I do a little bit of net fishing for bluegill and i chum with bread and then catch the bluegill in the nets and there are always cats in the water near me that smell the bread. But bread isnt practical for long hours of fishing. So any suggestions????

12. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    Ever get a bale of alfalfa with stickers in it? The horses won't eat it, but the catfish will. Stickery alfalfa usually can be bought for $1.00 a bale where clean hay will go upwards of $6.00 per bale.

Wire a hadite concrete block or a large rock to the bale and sink it where you can cast to it in water less than 10 feet deep.

This really doesn't fit the definition of "chum" as well as it does a "baited hole". The catfish will immediately begin feeding on the alfalfa, and there will be nothing left but the wires in two weeks.

Be sure to tie a line to the wires with a marker float so you can remove them later and re-bait the hole.

13. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Going to give that a try Albert, I work shift work and it's hard to keep a baited hole in operation. Looking forward to giving it a try. Thanks.

14. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Well Ok you guys mix up all that stuff.MY favorite Catfish Chum would be 5'4" 36-24-36,and Brunette!!!!!:lol: :smile2: Recipes for my chum can usually be found in most popular magazines that have those long fold out pages.PS helpful hint don't study the recipe while the wife is in the area!!!!!:lol: :eek:oooh: :smile2: :cool2:

15. jstall

jstall New Member

State:
    Gary Texas
    I like sour wheat over sour milo.

16. melvinrose

melvinrose New Member

State:
    San Angelo, Texas
    Heres what I do. Get a 50lb sack of wheat from the feed store. Get three five gallon plastic buckets with snap on lids. Put the wheat equaly into the three buckets. I will not even fill them half full but dont worry about that, the wheat will swell up. Now take three cans of cheap beer, I use 16oz cans of natural lite, and pour one can of beer into each of the buckets. Then fill each bucket with water enough to cover the wheat. Snap on the lid but leave a crack on one side so the chum can "breathe". Chech on it every day and add more water as needed to barely cover the wheat because it will soak up the water and double in size. Leave the buckets in the direct sun for at least a week. After it stops growing and bubbling and it smells really bad, you can snap on the lids good and tight and store it out of the sun.

17. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    I like to keep all fish guts and left over bait and freeze it the when I get enough I will use it for chum when the fishing is tough

18. ravenloft420

ravenloft420 New Member

State:
    mo
    will chum attract the bigger fish also? and what about flatheads? I know that small channels will eat anything they can swallow almost.

19. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Benji I agree with you again. This has worked well for me .:big_smile:

20. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    When I use chum, most of the time it is some type of soured grain. Doesn't matter what kind ( wheat, corn, Milo, soybeans, rice ) whatever is cheapest at the time of purchase. Most of the time here it is corn. When I lived in East Texas it was Milo. I personally don't think it makes any difference what you use as long as it is soured.