What's your favorite braid fishing line?

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by LEROYDOZOIS, Aug 23, 2008.

WHAT DO YOU LIKE

1. FIRELINE CRYSTAL

2. BERKLEY GORILLA TOUGH

3. POWER PRO

4. SPIDERWIRE

5. STREN BRAIDED

6. BASS PRO BRAIDED

7. CORTLAND BRAIDER

8. BERKLEY BIG GAME BRAID

9. HATE BRAIDED LINE

10. OTHER ( PLEASE SAY )

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    SINCE I SWITCHED TO BRAID IM CURIOUS WHAT SOME OF YOUR FAVORITE BRAID BRANDS ARE?????

ANY INPUT WOULD BE AWSOME !!!!:wink:

AND IM SURE IM GOING TO FORGET SOME OTHERS OUT THERE !!!!!!!!!!! SRRY !!!!!!!!!!!

2. kansas_catman_16

kansas_catman_16 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    me personally my two favorites are power pro and spiderwire thats all i got on my reels to tell u the truth have one reel thats been spooled for a yr and aint worn down yet. but both are very strong even at lower line tests

3. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    I have 80 spiderwire, catfish fusion on all three abus i have! Great line but it dont like snags in the rivers! My barrel swivels break every time! lol

4. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Thanks for the post! This year I have tried Power Pro and have to say this is the best braided line I've ever used. It casts great, has no memory, lays on the spool nice, and is super strong. I have the 16# diameter-65#test strength on my Abu 6500. I'm thinking about switching to this on my other Abu reel too. If I can get a year's life or more on this braid, then mono is going to be obsolete on my reels. May cost a little more, but is worth it!:wink::big_smile:

5. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I'm sorry ,to say I don't use braid. I cant justify the cost in my fishing world. I would like to add that I don't use any mono heavier than 25 lb so ,I dont see the need to go any heavier. This is a very informative thread tho ,I might add. Thanks leroy for starting it.

6. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona

there is just something i cant get over about mono.... even the smaller # lest is stiff and springy in the winter......

and i also like mono for fishing around piers where crapy cables are......:crazy:

i hated braid before but i started loosing decent fish becasue i couldnt pull them out of cover fast enough..... ( its just the water i fish in ) so thats my reason for braid..... ALSO i realized that i dont have to set my drag to the lb line it is....set it to the fight of the fish :smile2:

7. Guido

Guido New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I have only tried Berkley Big Game. I tried some braided line I bought at Bass Pro and you know I didn't like it. But maybe I should try something else. I need to put some new line on. So tell me what is something good to try.

8. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    TUFF.LINE its better to me then power pro by far. more abration resitant infact i dont see rocks cutting it at all and knots are super strong . i like the black and white best . the sun does no or very little damage to it last for years on your reel . 300 yards around 15 bucks $$$. also very limp line casts good .

9. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    The poll only offers us to vote for Spiderwire. There are several different kinds of Spiderwire. I don't care for the original Spiderwire. The Stealth is better but the Spiderwire Ultracast is the ticket. I have had it on 3 of my 6500's for a couple years and believe it is the best that I have used yet. If you back up your spool about halfway with mono and finish filling it up with braid it will do two things. First it will keep the braid from spinning on the spool and secondly it will spread the cost of the braid out over several reels.

10. Ghosth

Ghosth New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    Well I have one rod loaded with the Spiderwire stealth 8#, and I'm happy with it. This is my lightest line, and I had to learn not to try to beef it around.

The other 5 rods are all loaded with Power Strike, made by the Woodstock line company. Its spectra fiber made by honeywell. Its in the store up here, its half the cost of Spiderwire, or any of the other superbraids. Its comes in a nice green color and costs 8$ for a 100 yrd spool. We've fished it hard all this summer and been very happy with it.
    Been mostly buying it in 20#, although I have one rod spooled with 10#.

Sleekcraft I've looked in 4 stores now, no gorilla tough anywhere to be found. I think that must be a Southern thing, or it just hasn't filtered up this far yet.

The other line I've bought but have not yet fished with is Tuf-Line XP made by Western Filiment in CO. It was more reasonably priced than the Spiderwire. Seemed to have a nice feel to it, and a nice olive drab color. But I have not yet spooled it up to see how well it will work.

On my spinning reels I don't put a mono backer on. I just tie a good knot, then bring the line out through the little line minder notch on the edge of the spool. Then just fill it up. This keeps it from being able to turn on the spool. Normally I only put about 100 yards on most of the rods. My fishing partners don't fish for monsters so that gives them plenty to play with.

11. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl

Hey Kip, Try SPRO power swivels. The #2 has approx. a 230lb breaking strength and they are super smooth, especially important if you fish river currents. They aren't too expensive in bulk packages of 50.

Also a mono leader is a good idea for abrasion resisitance and a slightly lighter test so it breaks before your braid.

If you fish a 3 way rig with a sinker drop, make that mono and even lighter yet, a sacrificial sinker so to speak. That will get you your fish out of your snag many times.

12. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I voted for power pro as well. I use 65 lb on some reels and 100 lb. on my tournamet reels. Me and Big Sam are fixing to do some testing on 80 lb. braided cajun line. We will post what we think of this line after we have had a chance to test it and compare it to what we use now.

13. dieselcat

dieselcat New Member

State:
    Washington, Mis
    I voted spyderwire only cause i havn't used any other braid but next time i respool my reels i'm either going to try powerpro or maybe the tuff line that catfish scotty talked about.no complaints bout spyderwire i've had it on my reels for 2yrs and it's still good and strong.

14. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Power Pro is THE HEAT! NO question!
    Bill in SC

15. BACKWOODSBOY350

BACKWOODSBOY350 New Member

State:
    COLORADO
    I USE STREN HIGH VIS GOLD LOOKS LIKE 1/4 INCH ROPE IN BLACK LIGHT MAKES IT EASY TO SEE LIGHT RUNS . BUT IM OUT IN SMALL CAT AREA SO I GET BY WITH ONLY USING 20LB TEST AND ZEBCO 733'S

16. raybait1

raybait1 New Member

State:
    SE Texas
    I use Spiderwire Stealth in 30# with 20# 3 way leaders. I like it so I haven't tried any other braids.

17. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    i use suffix performance braid it uses 6 strands versus 4 for power pro and that makes it a little tighter and smoother and its really supple.

18. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I use 100#power pro & love it !!!!!!!

19. Cuda

Cuda Member

State:
    Iowa
    Name:
    Mike
    Tuff line XP 30# 8# dia. works great fishing in current! Have used 50#too on a heaver setup. Knots hold and have not had one pull out yet.

20. PaJay-p

PaJay-p Guest

I've been using spiderwire on all my spinning reels, I love it. Only problem I found is that it fades real fast, I'm not sure if that hurts it or not. I'm Strictly mono on my baitcasters. I used Fireline for two years, threw more away than what I used. It frayed very bad and had a rough feeling to it after a couple uses.