Whats your fav tree climbing stand?

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by hookeye, Sep 5, 2006.

1. hookeye

hookeye New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I have a Tree lounge with archery platform. Have mixed feelings about it though, as it is heavy around 31-35lbs and somewhat cumbersome to pack. I am also having a rough time obtaining a comfortable angle with it. I have found that some trees just are not suitable for this type of stand. Please share your thoughts and feelings about your favorite stand as I plan to buy something new this year.

Thanks!

2. catfishingRon

catfishingRon New Member

State:
    Earlville, IL
    I also have a tree lounge. Id say it is the most comfortable stand there is. You are right about it being a little heavy and clumsy. I feel that its a GREAT stand if you have land you can leave it on a tree and not have to take it down every day. Id let anyone use it being that I feel it is so SAFE.
    I also have an Ol'man climber that I feel is the greatest stand ever. It could be a little more comfortable, but for the ease and light weight, Id have to say it might be my Favorite climber. I am thinging about getting one for my wife.
    Then there is the ground blind. I got one about 2 yrs ago and havent looked back. Man this is easy hunting. The deer have no idea where you are and dont ever seem to figure it out. I hunt a spot with ground blind and the deer have never caught on.
    I also have a fixed stand I bought last year. I cant remember the name of it , but it has a large platform. I like that alot. Being Im no spring chicken and it might be good to lose a little weight It seems to do the job. And as long as they keep making stands that carry more weight, I dont see a diet in the future.:big_smile:

3. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    I use the Tree Saddle by Trophyline, I also got a regular ladder stand.

4. metalfisher

metalfisher New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I have had 4 tree lounges. The one I have now is the new style which is a couple pounds lighter than the original. It is not the "all" perfect stand but I think it is the best climbing stand.

The lounge is sometimes a pain to use and no where as easy to climb as it is represented to be but once up it is the safest climbing stand I have used. However, if you only plan on hunting an hour or so, there are others that will be just as comfortable but not as safe.

I do not care for the old style Ol'man because the cables will close in on your sides if you are in a small tree. But, stay on a big tree, say 16" or greater diameter and it is an OK stand.

However, if you plan on staying all day, you cannot beat the lounge. It just takes practice using it.

Robert

5. Nightprowler

Nightprowler New Member

State:
    ohio
    I have Summit Cobra climbing stand and I really enjoy it,it's a great stand to bow hunt out of,you can shoot sitting or standing.

6. mangus

mangus New Member

State:
    n.c.
    old man stand here.

7. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    I use a Summitt Broadhead & Bullet backpacker, they are extremely quiet & light, less than 20 Lbs.

If i'm not mistaken Old Man Treestands are out of buisness due to liability issues regarding a recall that they had, something about the cables breaking etc.

Two years ago they sent me the recall, since I was a registered owner. I had already gave the stand to someone else & forwarded it to him.

The Summitts are really nice, I bought 2 last year for Xmas presents

8. hunter 327

hunter 327 New Member

State:
    OHIO
    I use nothing but Summit stands. :boss:

9. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    They are great, I can set one up in a few minutes, while making minimal /no noise.

I have loaned mine to several of my friends; whom have in turn, purchased their own. Maybe I should apply for a sales commission:roll_eyes:

Happy Hunting, Elliot:smile2:

10. fishinpals

fishinpals New Member

State:
    Virginia, Illinois
    have an antenna tower with platform attached to one of my trees. works great and comfortable waiting on that 12 pointer to walk by. can't use a climber

11. djlabs

djlabs New Member

State:
    MO.
    I like my Loggy - Bayou climber it is light weight , quiet , and easy to set up.
    The one I have is older but real nice and I think the new ones are even better.

12. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    i have a api grand slam, a original old man, grand old man ,a summit bushmaster and several ladder stands and hang on stands to say wich one is my favorite thats a tuff one for each one has their time and place if im looking for comfort i woud say either one of my old men if i have a long hike, i use the summit bushmaster 17lbs cant beat it as far as the api grand slam i got it at a yard sale for 40 dollars thats the one i leave in the woods if i know im going to hunt the same stand in the morning and want to leave it in the woods all night if it gets stolen im only out 40 dollars its alittle heavy and not as easy to climb tree with but it works realy well without a doupt

13. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I hunt two farms, both family owned for 40 years. My brother and I use a couple of portables, (don't remember the brands) when we look at new spots on the farms. Once we find a spot we like, we build ex large size stands 12 feet high out of salt treated lumber. I'm an old guy and like to be able to stand up, sit down, wide bench so my kids or a pal can hunt with me. I put a rail all the way around so you can't fall out. Wrap it in thick black plastic and brush the outside with cedar. We have about twenty of these stands now. Cost of materials is about the same as a decent ladder stand. Downside is we have a few that we built in loser locations. $100 down the tubes!

14. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I really love my summit viper stand. It's easy to use and it doesn't wake everything for miles.

15. STC T&F

STC T&F New Member

State:
    Union, MO
    I have a summit Razor. I love it. I did some modifications to it. It has the front swinging bar for sit and climb functions. The bar then swings under the seat for an open front shooting system. I bought a couple of 1/4"pins and drilled a hole in the arms so I could lock the swinging arm in a up position. I feel safer with an enclosed stand at higher placement. When I am not as high I put the arm under the seat out of the way.

MJO

16. kycatman01

kycatman01 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I had a Loggy Bayou, once. I would say if I had to pick one it would the one. I didn't really like it to much, though. I would like to try a Summit or API. I heard they were good treestands.

17. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I have a API ladder stand and like it real well, I'm getting to old and fat for a climer any more.

18. Edisto Catman

Edisto Catman New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    My favorite climbing stand is the summit viper . It is a very comfortable stand to hunt out of.

19. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    I'm going to check up on the Viper, I wonder what the difference is between those & my Bullet Backpacker ?

20. wylie catter

wylie catter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I use an API Grand Slam Supreme, and love it. Easy to use, quite, comfortable, and safe. It's good for bow or gun with a detachable shooting rail. It's not the lightest stand out there but it's not too heavy. Good all around stand in my oppinion.