What's your drag weight??

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by LEROYDOZOIS, Oct 23, 2009.

1. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    THERES ALL THE TALK ABOUT WHATS THE LINE WEIGHT FOR FLATHEADS, MONSTERS, AND SUCH....:smile2:

BUT I THINK THAT THE "REEL" QUESTION IS WAT LB DO YOU SET UR DRAG AT????:confused2:

NOW IM ASKING CASUE SOME GUYS ARE OLD SCHOOL AND PREFER TO "SET" THE DRAG WITH THEIR EXPERT "FEELING" OF THEIR HANDS.... (NO REAL # OF SLIP):cool2:

BUT I DO RECALL A GUY SAYING HE USES A CYNIDER BLOCK HE HANGS OFF HIS SETUP TO SET THE DRAG?!?!?!?!:crazy:

I FIGURE THAT THIS MAY BE A GOOD THREAD TO START...:wink:

SOOOOO... IL START... MY REEL'S MAX DRAG IS 15 LBS. SO I HUNG A 15 LB BENCH WEIGHT OFF MY POLE AND SET THE DRAG TO SLIP AT 15 LBS.... :wink:

ANY ADVICE IS GREATLY APPRICIATED !!!!

LeRoy:cool2:

2. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    I set my drags with a scale at 1/4 line test .For 20# mono I set at 5#

3. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    If everything was to match ,Lets say your pole was rated for 15-25 # test and the same with the reel and your using 20 #test it shoyld set at about 7 pound's ...Or a thrid on the line weight.

4. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I use 30# and set my drag between 3-4#. This is a good setting for me to tightline with circle hooks off the bank. I'll crank it down if the fish is big enough. I just need enough for a hard circle hookset.

5. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona

I SET MINE TO 1/4 THE LINE WT.... 40-80 LB POLE AND A REEL THAT TOPS OUT 15 LBS..... 20 IS 1/4 OF 80 BUT ID RATHER USE THE REEL CORECTLY AND HAVE THE CHEAP INSURANCE OF NOT BLOWING UP MY REEL:crazy:

6. festus

festus New Member

I set my drag at 1/3 of my line weight.

7. Widemouth

Widemouth New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I test my drag setting, in the field, by hooking up to some low lying object. The drag is set just right when I can pull a 90 degree bow into my fishing rod, just before the drag starts to slip. This procedure works pretty well if your reel and rod are matched up pretty well.

8. PaJay-p

PaJay-p Guest

Im pretty much like Dale but I'm a little more trusting. I set mine about 50%. 40lb. line, 20lb. drag.

9. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I keep mine set at around 20-22#.If i,m fishing close to some big snags ,I,ll keep my thumb clamped down on the line while I,m setting the hook and getting him away from the snag.I don,t know how much pressure this translates to,but it,s usually enough.Had some big ones run off line like this though.

10. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    Set mine by "feel" always have,havn't broke a line from too tight a drag in many moons. I set it after just about every cast,sometimes tighter,sometimes looser,depending on the habitat being fished. I can usually always tighten it up when fighting a fish,but just apply a little extra tension with the thumb instead,works for me!

11. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    I set mine just by using my hand and pulling line . I will work the drag as I am reeling in the fish .

12. whiteriver

whiteriver New Member

State:
    in
    My drag weight is about 100 pounds, it called an ex-wife. :angry:

13. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Generally 6-8lbs, and certainly never over 10lbs. Too many things can go wrong on a hard running strike, the hook can pull through the mouth of a poorly hooked fish, the combination of drag, rod angle, etc can lead to a lot more force on the line and a breakoff, rodholders can bend or snap, pull out of the ground, etc. I will tighten the drag as needed while I fight a fish, and I loosen it again as I land the fish so that if he goes crazy he doesn't pull the hook out.

The reels that the majority of us use for catfishing only have 15-20lb drags anyway, but somewhere around 20-25lbs you will start to experience problems with the line getting buried in the spool if you are using braid, and this can also lead to a breakoff right at the spool.

14. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    heck most guys hooks won't hold 15 lbs of deadweight without bending out.

15. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona

KING KAHLES ARE THE SHIZNIT....THEY DO IT LIKE NOTHING :smile2:

16. cattoon

cattoon Member

State:
    alabama
    I set my drags by feel. Tie off to solid object and then adjust drag based on rod bow and feel. The other day curiosity overcame me and I pulled out a set of scales. With approx 25 feet of line out when I bowed the rod and tried to slip the drag it was a great deal of pressure and I thought WOW maybe this is too tight. It was a whopping 4lbs of pressure. I bumped up to 5 lbs and it still seems like a great deal of rod pressure. I use 20lb ande line, ABU S5600C reel and 7ft MH berkley Lightening rod. I have 3 of these setups and a couple of abu 5000 on MH ugly stiks along with a couple of other misc rigs. I decided that the "if it ain't broke don't fix it rule" applies. I have had pretty good luck in not having hooks pull or line break due to drag. I normally fish in the Tn river, Lots of current but luckily enough not a lot to snag on. sorry somehow I changed the font and I'm apparently not smart enough to change it back.:embarassed:

17. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc

You got it on the nose. I wasn't gonna say anything but since I have someone here that actually weighed their drag pressure with a scale I will mention this fact.

If you use a Abu Garcia the max pressure of the drag will hold isn't even over 15#. If your saying you set your drag at 20# then you must not be using a Abu Garcia. This information comes from Abu itself, and I personally test mine.

Like mentioned I use between 3-4# and that's plenty believe it or not ; )

Reps to ya Jon
    -Jim-

18. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    I remember a study done once that I read about,the experiment was a olympic class swimmer and a 100 yard long practice pool,they hooked him to a flyrod with 2 lb. test line and set the drag at exactly one pound,all the swimmer had to do was swim once to the other end with one pound of force pulling him back. this swimmer was one that swam miles everyday and had took a gold medal,but I can't remember who,anyway he couldn't make it to the end,somewhere around the 80 yard mark the guy with the pole started dragging him back.

19. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I reckon my drags are set too tight, for the line I use, but I seldom catch a fish that will stretch my line. Even the 8 lb on my spinning reel. I have a casting reel with 9 lb strike setting and 14 lb max drag. I had 25 lb line on it and discovered I needed to change the setting for casting and free spool for it to cast. That affects the strike and max drag pressure so I just adjust it that I got enough not to stretch the line. I had some 6 or 8 lb line on a reel, caught a pretty good fish, a light rod too, he was something to bring in, but sure stretched the line. Since then I back off the drag, so it don't stretch the line.

20. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I use Daiwa Saltist.Max drag pressure is 22#.