Whats your catfishing rigs?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by CJ21, Nov 2, 2006.

1. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I am wondering rigs u guys use for catfishing?
    I use a Abu 6000 with 20 lb test line and a 7'' MH big game rod Shakespeare Tidewater Freeliner with 20 lb test line and 8'' MH big game rod

2. Ulizth

Ulizth New Member

State:
    St. Clairsville, Ohio
    I love the Ugly stick big water rods in med hvy or hvy, 6 to 7 foot with 30 lb big game. The hooks I generally use are 5/0 kahle with a slip 2-4 oz pyramid sinker. Reels are usually a light saltwater type spinning. This rig has pull in blues up to 40 lb for me.

3. drifter106

drifter106 Member

State:
    kansas
    Depends on the situation (water and location). When I am chasing channels its usually in the summer on a lake and I prefer to use 2 7 1/2 G-Lommis graphite spinning rod. Have various open face reals baitrunner is a sweet setup and don't like to use more than 12-14 lb stren yellow line. I use the lightest sinker I can get away with. Our poles are light to medium action and it makes it fun when you land 5 -10 channels. Poles are usually almost doubled and makes for an execiting experience.

Now with the flats its a little bit different story. Here in Kansas its not uncommon to get into 30, 40, 50 pounders and you need to toughen up your equipment some. Still stay with the g-loomis stuff and usally go 20 lb test (unless we are in strong water).

When I was younger we use to use "big, heavy river poles and you could airplane the 2 and 3 pounders in. Keep your tackle light as possible to get the most out of the experience even if you lose a few. Makes for a better fisherman too!!

regards,

drifter

4. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

my rigs are about average I guess

MH Uglystick Tiger, Abu 7000, 30 pound test
    MH Uglystick Catfish Abu 6000, 20 pound test
    2 Berkly Big Game MH, Daiwa 5050 Sealine spinning reels, 20 pound test
    2 Daiwa Cygnus combo's with 12 pound test
    2 Shakespeare UL combos, 4 pound test
    2 Zebco 33 combos, 8 pound test
    12 foot pinnacle powertip, daiwa 5050 spinning reel, 15 pound main line with 50 pound shock leader
    12 foot beefstick rigged the same as above
    2 flyrods one 5-6 weight and one 8-9 weight I think

And a few more I cn not recall right now

As for the rigging I use on each rod it varies for each set-up and where I am fishing. Carolina rig, splitshot rig, nothing but a hook and bait, floating/sinking line and so on.

5. IrishO'Brady

IrishO'Brady New Member

State:
    Ga
    I'm using 2 light set ups ( MH and H 7' graphite rods rated to 20lb test with garcia 6000's) with 50 lb powerpro and 40lb Ande leader - 3 way rig with 7/0 Circle and 3 oz bank sinker

and 2 heavy set ups (Ugly catfish rods, 7'6 MH rated to 30 or maybe 40lb cant remember, with calcutta 700B and Okuma Magda or Penn 209m) using 80lb powerpro and 50lb Ande leader- 3 way rig with 7/0 and 8/0 circles, 3oz all the way to 5oz bank sinkers.

Im only listing my catfish set ups as thats what you asked for

6. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I dont wont to know any bass set ups lol!

7. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    7' M/H tiger rods I like white rods the best easy to see at night need very little light wal-mart has combo for 20.00 the reels no good that comes with them but sale good on ebay :lol:
    ABU 6000 & 6500
    40 lb cajun red main line with 80 lb leaders
    4/0 to 10/0 kahle hooks
    1/0 to 5/0 treble hooks
    2oz to 8oz sinkers egg or no-roll (Walking sinkers when drifting)

8. raybait1

raybait1 New Member

State:
    SE Texas
    dont laugh!!

4 808 combos on MH zebco rods
    30# big game line
    6/0 kahle hooks
    1oz egg sinkers carolina style

Im just getting into hand fishing for big cats
    been trotlining all my life.
    Ill spend more money and get better stuff if i find out this is for me.

9. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    2 of the Shakespear Tigr Combos for 20.00 at Wallyworld... I threw the reels away and bought 2 tidewater baitcasters for them.. 50 lb Magic Braid... with 50 lb leader... 7/0 circle hooks... 3 to 5 oz no roll... I've got a Abu 5000 and 6000 in the shed.. I don't like them... tooo small for me...

10. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    Shakespeare Ugly Stik Tiger Spinning (7 foot, medium action)
    Okuma Coronado C90 reel (amazing reel!)
    30 # Berkley Big Game

I have a few others but that is BY far my fav setup. Iam gonna buy some duplicates as soon as the funds come through, come on powerball. lol

11. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    ugly stick rods 6.5 to 7.5 ft in length abu baitcasters for reels and 30 lb cajun with a #8 circle or kahle hook depending on the bait i am using

12. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I dont have any trouble catching catfish on my 6000, and I just won and 5000
    reel off e-bay.

13. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    St.Croix's Wild River 11.5 foot Med action/light power coupled with a Shimano Symetre rear drag (sometimes Shimano sidestab or front drag Symetre) Spooled with Trilene "red box" or Yo~Zuri hybrid in 8-10 lb.test. (mostly for Channels and Bullheads)
    :big_smile:

14. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    most any 7' ugly stik, tiger m/h w/ a abu 7001 bg, catfish mod w/a 6501c3, inter coastal w/ a abu 5601c4, with maxima line on all

15. superman

superman New Member

State:
    DeSoto MO
    i use abu 6000 or 7000 ( have three of each ) all on 7 ft. ugly sticks m/h with 30 pound iron silk on three and 25 pound cajun line on the others ( use the ones with cajun kine when going for smaller ones )