Whats your biggest turtle

Discussion in 'Turtle Talk' started by General, Jun 1, 2006.

1. General

General New Member

State:
    Michigan
    i just wondered what was the biggest turtle you have ever caught and what you caught it on. my biggest turtle was had seventeen inch shell and i caught it while i was fishig. i casted it out and he took my worm.

2. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    Caught a 66 lb alligator snapping turtle on a crank-bait in Greers Ferry Lake about 10 years ago.

3. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    i caught a 44 pound snapper last week. normally for a turtle to get on my hook it is instant suicide but i have a friend who wanted one to eat. he weighed it while he was dressing it. i catch some bigger than that on my jugs but they die quickly. biggist i can remember i didnt measure or weigh but he went in a hole under the bank and i had a tussel dragging him out. and some folks stick thier arms in those holes after catfish.

4. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    62 lb.(on a bathroom scale)Common Snapper while noodling in Turkey Branch,Effingham County Georgia.I was lucky as I still have most of my fingers and all of my toes.These turtles have a lot longer reach than a Alligator Snapper.peewee-williams

5. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    25ish pound common snapper
    female softshell that had a shell prolly 20-24 inches

6. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I caught one a few years ago that was about 30" (shell). He ate a bream I was fishing with. I don't know how much it weighed but I got 15# of meat from it. My oriental friend Sengcow cooked it up, some fried and some soup, and it was great. I'll never clean another one though. That was the hardest darn thing to skin I've ever seen. I saw a picture of one that was caught be commercial fishermen in a net in Clarksdale Miss. that filled the whole back end of a Ford F150. The shell had to be 5' from front to back. HUGE!

7. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    My biggest was a common snapper in Spring River. I just got off of work and had brought my fishin' rods, but didn't know what to use for bait. So, I walked the river bank and didn't find anything. I was discouraged and went to sit on a log, then figured I might as well lift one more over, and underneath it was a baby copperhead, cranked back and ready to strike...so I killed him. I now had bait...:big_smile:. My rod was in the water for probably half an hour when it suddenly just bowed down. It put up a big ole fight, but it was a big ole turtle too. I didn't weigh or measure him. I just took him up to the truck, shot him in the head and pulled out a few guts for bait. I ended up catching a nice mess of channels off of him. The best one around six pounds. I was proud of myself for that one.

-Red

8. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    WOW, id like to see a picture of that turtle flathead willie..didnt even know they got that big

9. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I didn't think they got that big eighter. I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen the picture. It had a head the size of a basketball. It could probably take your hand off.

10. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    That is absolutly crazy, i defiantly would not want to tangle with with one of those beasts

11. BIGCAT DADDY 71

BIGCAT DADDY 71 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    my biggest was a 20lb snapper on little gill pole, i was thinking i was bringing in a log at first. i was acting like i was going to put him in the boat, but my girlfriend (wife now) said no way and would not go fishing with me again if i put it in the boat.lol.....

12. cornbreadnky

cornbreadnky New Member

State:
    Elizabethtown, Kentucky
    i grew up in ky on the salt and ohio rivers... my best turtle was a 63 pound snapper with a 25 inch shell....got him on raw bacon ( 1 slice per hook )

13. buzz crackstock

buzz crackstock New Member

State:
    Springfield, IL
    Here is the biggest one I've caught. Not sure what he weighed. Wouldn't even try to guess. Was all I could do to hold him up long enough to get a pic. Took about 2 hours to get him in on a 10ft hvy action rod with my 302 okuma "winch". Used half a chicken for bait and a 20/0 shark hook . Pulled the boat a good 3 miles, would have gone more but he hit the damn and turned around. Tried to dispatch him with the oar, that just pissed him off. After he snapped the oar in half he ripped the trolling motor clean off the front of my boat! That finally tired him out and I got the anchor rope wrapped around one of his back legs and towed him to shore. Took 3 of us just to get him out of the water! Well, here's the pic.

he he.
    View attachment 10484

14. I_try

I_try New Member

State:
    Central Arkansas
    biggest one ive ever seen buzz!!!

lol

15. bigredsbbq

bigredsbbq New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I caught this big softshell turtle last night it is my largest actually this year is the first time i've ever caught a turtle and I've caught 4 of them

Attached Files:

16. catfish_jordan

catfish_jordan New Member

State:
    Lincoln,NE
    i caught a 15lb soft shell turtle while bottem fishing a nightcrawler.:eek:oooh:

17. Bigdan99

Bigdan99 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I am going to set some lines out tonite to try to catch some turtle. I'm surrounded by about three acres of shallow water ponds that used to be holding lakes for wifes grandpa who used to be a commercial fisherman. But the lakes are now filling in.
    :confused2: :cool2:

18. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Mine is a weighed thirty pound snapper. I weighed the net on the scale, and deducted that with the turt in it. Huge head, and could bite a good sized bluegill right in half. Bait caught on : half a bluegill.

19. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Buzz,
    I kept one that size as a pet one time. Pretty neat to watch but after a while it produced a odor I couldn't stand, even after i cleaned the tub (I kept it in a big, thick, rubbermaid tub so it would have more room).

20. KingCat

KingCat New Member

State:
    Olathe Kansas
    Even though it might be true since I haven't seen the pic, I personally don't believe it. A 5' foot shell? No way. That would be a World Record and be all over the national news. Not to mention the Guiness Book of World Records.
    I think someone used Photoshop.