Whats your biggest size catfish on your river?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by FlatGetter, Mar 14, 2006.

1. FlatGetter

FlatGetter New Member

State:
    Illinois
    For the river I fish 49# is the lake/ river record. Last year SangamonCatKiller caught a flathead in the 40#plus range. In 04 A 45# was caught. But were fishing a small river that you cant get a boat in. I will have to say there's a 50# in our river I dont see one over 60#. In our river a 30# is a trophy. In big rivers like the mississippi there's no doubt there's record size flatheads.Whats the top end size that you know is being pulled out.

2. jerrydean

jerrydean New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Arkansas River about 10 or 15 yrs ago, 127 or 129 lbs. Caught below Murray Lock & Dam in Little Rock. Guy was using a snag line. Seen it at Hatchet Jacks, a local bait store, later that afternoon. It was big as a man!!!

3. jerrydean

jerrydean New Member

State:
    arkansas
    oops... it was 139 lbs.

4. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    ive been fishing the great miami in ohio for 15+ years now from Dayton all the way to the Ohio river and i have only seen 2 fish caught over 40lbs. i have heard of a couple 60lb fish that were caught but i am kinda skeptical about them. i think they top out around 35-40lbs, but of course there are no doubt a few genetic freaks still lurking somewhere. biggest problem on this river is that there are very few areas that can grow a fish 30+lbs, and they are highly overfished. most big fish (15+lb) i see caught by others are usually taken out and not released.

5. maddcatter

maddcatter New Member

State:
    Newark, Oh
    I fish the Licking and the Muskingum here in Ohio. I've heard of fish close to 30lbs on the Licking. Probably not too many bigger than that. But the Muskingum holds some real nice ones. I'm sure there are 70-80lbers in there, but around 60lbs is the best I've heard of.

6. gofish

gofish New Member

State:
    Greenville MS
    On the Mississippi, I would say that there are cats over 100# easily. I haven't seen anything close to that size YET. One of our members caught a blue near Memphis that bottomed out his 95 pound scale. They are out there. Ya just gotta hunt for 'em!

7. jerrydean

jerrydean New Member

State:
    arkansas
    A few years back, I had a flathead on a trotline that was pretty close to 6 ft long. I use 2/0 & 3/0 hooks & run them about 15 to 18inches apart. He had 2 hooks in his mouth and I felt him as soon as I picked up the line and saw him about 10 hooks out. I got him within a couple hooks & figured out he wouldn't fit in the net. I've had a 77lb'er in it before. I dropped the net & rolled up my shirt sleeve & was gonna try to land him by hand. He made 1 big run and pulled both hooks. I was sick for weeks. Didn't bait up for 3 days. He was easily over 100. Kinda glad i didn't get my hand in his mouth. Don't know what I would have done if I had. That was the main reason I was sick. I sat down & thought what COULD have happened.:crying: This was in Arkansas River just above the I430 bridge in an 80ft deep hole.

8. SangamonCatKiller

SangamonCatKiller New Member

State:
    central illinois
    I'd say where I fish it's about 49 lbs.. Lol!!. Thanks for the props getter!

9. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    I know of a guy that runs trotlines where I fish, and he regularly catches tabby's in the 30's, 40's, and 50's. The biggest one I've actually seen him with was over 50 lbs, and it was well over 4' long. I was talking to him about it and he said he catches them regularly, but he always throws em back.

10. Damian_Storm

Damian_Storm New Member

State:
    indiana
    i fish the white river here in indiana and it has the record flathead for the state at 79 lbs..people catch them in the 50's all the time.....

11. bigfish

bigfish New Member

State:
    Dunbar WV.
    ive heard people catching 50 & upper 60 ies but havent actualy seen one yet. i know we have some monsters in our river, ive hooked a few that felt like monsters.

12. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have caught 1 50-lb flathead, and 2 flats in the 40's from my river the scioto...I had a hold of a fish last year, that I actually saw that looked to be in the 50-lb range but it got off att the bank...I have heard of 60-lb fish from the scioto, but I am sure there numbers must be few..I consider anything over 20-lbs from my river a good fish.

13. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    I mainly fish the Allegheny River here in western Pa.. The Pa. state record Flathead was caught here in 1985 weighing in at 43 lbs. 9 oz. The previous record Flathead also came from the Allegheny River. I feel there are bigger fish waiting to be caught and in 2006 the record shall be broken!

14. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

top end in kansas is well over 100 pounds, state and world record is 123 pounds so i know there is bigger out there

15. SangamonCatKiller

SangamonCatKiller New Member

State:
    central illinois
    By comparison, the river my and flatgetter, and 5 gallons all fish is smaller than most. It's average depth can't be much more than 3 ft. Some areas the banks are wide, some they are not. If we can push the 40#-50# mark consistently, we are doing something right!.

16. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    It's going to be over 100 pounds easy. The missouri river has some big cats in it.

17. Drum Andersen

Drum Andersen New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    The biggest fish i've seen come out of the creek i fish is 40 pounds, had a few break off that where bigger.

18. BigDuck

BigDuck New Member

State:
    Trumann, Arkans
    I have heard of 50 plus pounders being caught out of the St. Francis river here in N.E. Arkansas where I fish. I have yet to catch one but I'm still huntin'em ! :thumbsup:

19. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Josh-the Maddcatter, I met and old man down at Rokeby one day he showed me a picture of him holding a 72#er said he caught down at Devola on a 10" gold fish.He said that the lock operator let him bring it in and shut the gate till some one came with a net.lol
    If there are Flatheads in a body of water,then there is a possibility of a good sized one living there. There could be a hundred pounder in any body of water mentioned here.

20. bobsmitter03

bobsmitter03 New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    last summer i saw a guy catch a 53 pounder and thats what got me into fishing for cats