whats your biggest fish of 2009

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by catfishscotty, Jan 10, 2010.

1. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    with this weather and allmost all of the lakes and rivers froze up

I would like to hear some big fish stories to keep my fever up and get my catfish blood pumping, dreaming of fishin again !!!!

mine was a blue cat caught on a 13 inch sucker my buddy earl brought with some other smaller suckers and perch .
    we was fishing below truman dam on lake of the ozarks I put that big sucker on 1 of the rods and pitch him out he was on the rod for over 2 hours with no action ,, we was catching some blue cats from 3 to 30 lbs on shad and perch .

after another hour I told earl I think im going to take the sucker off and put a perch on that rod I picked it up and could still feel him wiggling good so i said well just a while longer i supose

after the sucker was on for around 4 or 5 hours it finally had a slow pull down but not fierce or anything just bent some and the rod tip was bouncing slightly ,, then i seen what was going on we was fishing in current and instead of the fish taking the rod down he was swiming with it sideways so i set the hook and the fight was on !!!!!

I was like yes a big flathead wooo hooo but it was a blue cat on my scales 65 lbs and on earls scales 72 lbs so some where inbetween is what it wieghed .

caught 3 others last year in the low 60s

biggest flathead boated in my boat last year was when me and herb went 1 night in lake of the ozarks he was reeling in a nice 30 lb blue or so after i got it in the net i looked over and another rod was down ,
    we pitched that rod close to the back under a large tree that had fell in using live shad on that rod . well he was reeling it in and when it surfaced i seen the large brown head wooooo hoooo
    a near 50 lb flatty that was so cool !!!!!

also that night herb caught a low 60 ish lb blue man what a night !!!!

please share your big fish outings !!!!!

I myself cant wait for the lakes and rivers to unthaw and go after them again ....

2. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    Judy and I wer fishing the Mo river at night. I had marked fish on the graph went up river let the anchor out . Threw out to where I thought the fish were or close to it. Judy had a small channel on and another rod went down hard. The fight was on. It ended up being a 48 pound blue.

Tom

3. catfishscotty

State:
    mo
    way to go tom you and judy have gotten onto some real bruisers together !!!!!!!!!!!

thats awsome of yas !!!

4. adam1886

adam1886 New Member

State:
    higginsville,missouri
    well me and chris ( i forgot his last name but judy calls him blueboat chris) went out one night this summer. like always you guys were catching them pretty good but when i got down there they turned off lol. we didnt catch alot of fish but we had a great time and i ended up catching my PB, around 13 lbs. another night me and dad were out on the river, one of my rods went down hard and started taking drag while it was in the rod holder. i had a heckuva time tryin to get it out of the holder and only felt him for just a few seconds. i had never had a fish on like that before so it was still fun. i'm definantly ready to start fishing again! i just need a boat

5. steveturner024

steveturner024 Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Steve Turner
    I caught my PB blue 27lbs 14oz. can't wait to slaughter that record this year. I'm also going to slaughter my flathead PB of 2lbs.LOL, I'll actually target them some this year. My PB channel was 10lbs when I was around 12 years old still haven't beat that one.

6. shadguts

shadguts New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Back in October a freind and I decided we'd try our luck at the BPS BigCatQuest National in Memphis. We didn't prefish and only had a few fresh skipjacks to carry with us. I did have some frozen ones though. We used his boat and had not been on the river in his so we didn't have a trail on the gps which would've been helpful being as we used a ramp that neither one of us had used before and the tourney started before sunrise. We got on our first spot about an hour after the tourney started. Fished there for 30min or so til the sun was good and high and noticed that we were anchored way off my intended hole. We then went upriver to spot that I have caught fish everytime I've ever fished it. Was pleased to see no one there. I haven't carried anyone there other than my dad and one older guy and have never told anyone of this spot. Fished that area for 30 min of so and never got a nibble. I also had never fished this place at that river stage and it was almost unfishable. We moved around trying to find something on the sonar and did. We anchored up on a rip rap bank and had a good slow pull on one rod. My partner fought the fish for a while but it ended up hanging him up in something. He caught a 9lber from the same spot as soon as we anchored back up and I knew we'd found some fish. 30 min later not another bite. We decided to move to another area where my dad had caught a 40lber in 2008 and hasn't been very productive but where running out of places to go so gave it a shot. I was getting pretty frustrated. It was 12pm and the tourney started at 6am and we had one stinking 9lber. This particular spot we were going to fish is usually hard to anchor on and today was no exception. We used the graph, eased the boat up river, dropped the anchor, and waited for the anchor to grab but, it didn't hold so I let out more rope. It still didnt grab and ended up letting out all 200ft of rope, tied the rope to the cleat and just sat down and waited for the boat to stop. Mad and frustrated because when the anchor did grab we where a good 500 yds below the hole I wanted to fish and had drug the anchor right through the hole we were going to fish. Being as frustrated as I was I cussed a few words and my partner asked what I wanted to do? I said " I want to catch some fish". He asked if I wanted him to pull the boat up and try to anchor again and I said we might as well try it since we're here. I put 16oz on a rod and let out about 200ft of line reeled it back in and put on another 16oz and that didn't want to stay down so I sat the rod in a holder and started baiting another putting 32oz on it hoping to hang it up on something so it'd stay down. I told my partner we were wasting time fishing here. While I was trying to get it to stay down the first rod got slammed and went slack. Reeled it in to find everthing gone. Swivel, leader, and all. No joke it may have been the hardest hit I've ever had but no fish to show for it. While my partner was putting out another rod I felt a little pull on my rod and pulled back to make sure it was on and all heck broke loose. As soon as the fish pulled back I told my partner that this is the fish that we came to catch. We went after it and the fish fought better than any I've ever caught. At one point the fish dove under the boat and surfaced on the other side. We didn't see it but could hear it's tail hitting the water. I just prayed the line wouldn't break from rubbing the bottom of the boat. The fish then pulled about 50ft of drag and started up again. It was the 6th or 7th time I'd had the fish within a few feet of the boat and it pulled off 30-50ft of line. This time my partner got the net under it and looking at the fish in the net we both thought it had a chance of going 100lbs. After getting it in the boat we thought it'd be pushing 80-90lbs. The 80lb mono leader broke while the fish was in the net. The hook was almost straight (7/0 king kahle). The fish barely fit in the livewell on the big sea ark and we knew it'd be hard to get out and decided that we should weigh the fish early because there was only 2hrs of fishing left and we knew that the fish would have a good chance at being the "big fish" of the event. It was about @1:30pm when we arrived at the scales. The fish weighed 84.55lb(blue). We hated to leave early but felt confident we'd have a great place to fish on day two of the tourney. Day two we had a trail on the gps and were fishing as soon as the clock struck 6am. We absolutely beat that whole area up for 4 hrs and never had another bite. I think we had a 7lber or something at the end of day two. Two days and 3 fish. It was one of the worst fishing trips I'd had in a long time. Other than the big fish it was a long two days and a miserable finish in the tourney. After it was all said and done we ended up 10th overall and had the big fish for both days. I think all but the top 6 or 7 teams struggled and we got lucky to share the stage with some of the best. The only pic I have of the fish is of it in the tank. Thanks Patrick.

7. catfishscotty

State:
    mo
    wow what a beast shadgut

congrats bro !!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. o'boro cat hunter

o'boro cat hunter New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Shadgut thats a Beast.My best was a 75lber hit a 60,57 and that 75lbers all within in 3 weeks back in November,on the Ohio River in the Cannelton Pool.

Attached Files:

9. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    2009 was a really dismal pathetic year for me. 2 Blue Cats in the 40's was the best I managed all year. Gonne change that in 2010 I hope.

10. opposum

opposum Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    I only managed a 34 # blue. Several others about 30 # and numerous in the 20's

11. Catfish Pursuit

Catfish Pursuit New Member

State:
    Missouri
    My best was a 57 pound blue and 33 pound flathead, both from the same place actually. Caught tons of mid 30's which seemed to be really common this year for some reason. David, is that the fish you caught next to me that night? Chris

12. opposum

opposum Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    It was indeed.

13. COREY

COREY New Member

State:
    NORTH WEST MO
    MY BIG FISH OF 2009 WAS A 45 LB BLUE CAT .
    EASTER WEEKEND ON A MUD FLAT IN 3FT WATER AT LAKE OF THE OZARKS.
    HE PUT ON GOOD SHOW.

14. dennis boehm

dennis boehm Member

State:
    olathe kan
    biggest fish of 09 is still swimming the missouri river but biggest was 65lbs with 7 others at 60+lbs most caught on live bait all blues

15. Motopro00

Motopro00 New Member

State:
    Festus, Missouri
    My first year catfishing and off the bank. Biggest flat was 5 lbs I caught a 17,8lbs blue out on a boat. I went out on a boat once and we hit bank spots but all my fish came from standing on the bank. 21,18,16,12 lbs blues. 21 was my biggest fish last year.

16. big cat matt

big cat matt Member

State:
    mo,OSAGE ARM TRUMAN
    45 lb blue and 45lb flathead.
    Im ready for the thaw

17. catfishchris

catfishchris Active Member

State:
    missouri
    I caught a few decent fish last year, but overall it was pretty slow. I caught a new PB 71 pound blue that took over a hour to land. The fish hit a chunck of skipjack in some deep water and ripping current. I caught several more in the 20's, a few in the 30's and one in the 40's. It seemed to be a good year for eater size flatheads. I caught several of them between 5 and 15 pounds. I can't wait for the spring to get here so I can start all over again.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 10, 2010
  18. McLovin

McLovin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I caught a 29 lb blue and several between 18-25. I my pb flathead which went about 8lbs. I'm hoping to get into some big ones this year.

19. adam1886

adam1886 New Member

State:
    higginsville,missouri
    looks like alot of nice fish were caught last year:good:

20. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    We had an OK year. 75# blue and 49# flat were the biggest. Several blues in the 30's, 40's, and 50's to go with those. Best part was putting a couple people on nice fish - 50# was the biggest for "guiding" :) Hopefully they keep getting bigger in '10!