What's Your Best Money-Saving Tip?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by boswifedeb, Aug 21, 2009.

1. boswifedeb

boswifedeb USCA Jailhouse Lawyer

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    We've all heard a few over the years. So what's your favorite tip on saving money?

I'll start with this one:

When you have left over veggies from your dinner, put them in a big container in the freezer and when your bowl is full use them to make veggie soup.

What can you come up with?

2. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    If I can't pay cash then I don't need it right now!!!:wink:

3. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

I got a ton of 'em Deb, but the only one that's coming to me at the moment is TRIPLE COUPON WEEK (on coupons up to $.99). It was last week at my local grocery store, and you can't beat getting almost 3 bucks off somethin' you already find on sale. :wink:

4. ncfowler

ncfowler Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Name:
    Jeff
    just pack your lunch, think bout this, the average cost of buying lunch is around 7 bucks, do some math, if you eat out say three days a week that is $21 bucks now do the math 21x52=1092 $1092 saved, most times i take left overs and a can of root beer for lunch, cost of my root beer is around 35cents. if you buy one soda at work a day it cost say around .65 most machines, once again the cost of a years worth .65X(5x52)= $169.bucks there are many other ways you can save money, but just a little thinking is required,

5. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    Dont buy junk. which pretty much says, dont shop.:tounge_out:
    Buy what your need.:wink:

6. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I have been taking my lunch to work every day for the past 20 yrs,I do get tired of sandwiches at work,but never at home:wink: I like to freeze all the leftovers we have,then every now and then drag out a bunch,whatever it is porkchops,brisket,chicken,all manner of veggies ,add some beef or chicken stock ,a few fresh taters and make a big pot of stew.

7. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    Always eat before u go to the grocery store ,u will not buy so much junk food ,well i don,t anyways :wink:

8. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I take all my change and save it in a jug in the closet. And once a year I put that money into savings. You would be surprised how much change adds up to over a year. And don't buy brand name foods, the cheaper ones taste the same most of the time.

9. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Saving change makes sence,, I do it and you will have about 100 dollars worth per quart jar,,,,average change as it comes...

10. boswifedeb

boswifedeb USCA Jailhouse Lawyer

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    Yeah, Sarge, we've got a gallon pickle jar just inside our bedroom door. It's been used several times over the years.
    As far as the name brand stuff, some of the store brands actually taste better. We did a taste test one time with cereal, and everybody picked the store brand over the real Cheerios.:smile2:

Y'all keep 'em coming!

11. catman79

catman79 New Member

State:
    iowa
    i like the store brand raisen bran better than name,not as sweet,i save all my change through out the year and cash it in to pay bills

12. cheapNdisgusting

cheapNdisgusting Well-Known Member Supporting Member Supporting Member

State:
    Yonder in Mo.
    Name:
    Russ
    Get the BEST (sleazy) lawyer you can.

Don't buy any "hair care" products recomended by BG.

13. moondog58

moondog58 New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Lots of good ideas here, thanks everyone.

Mine is: Cook at home, keep plenty of food at home, much cheaper than eating out.

Second: Put a cooler in the car and pack it with drinks and snacks for the kids. Keep it stocked in the car and when the kids are all cranky and thirsty you have drinks and snacks right there. Save you from stopping at he 7-11 or some other fast stop store, where the pop is a $1.80 a bottle. Easy to get your pop at the market or warehouse club.

14. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Go to the Goodwill store or DAV store and get yourself a book on tax strategies for .50 cents or $1. Charles Givens:"Wealth Without Risk" or something like that is a good start. They will give you a lot of tips that the rich folks use to reduce their taxes. There are all kinds of ways to reduce what the IRS takes from you. One of the best is to start a home business, (even if you don't expect it to be a success), because it gives you a lot of ways to deduct the things you like to do and reduce the tax burden from your primary job. Also go to the IRS web site and order the FREE tax publications that your tax dollars pay for, and read them. There are dozens of legal deductions that most people never hear about. Last year I reduced my taxes by over $8,000! The first year I did it, 1991, I made over $20,000 TAX FREE with a part time hunting business while working at a factory full time.

15. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    Don't buy what ya can't afford, credit cost more than ya think.

16. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    My cash saving methods are= Dont shop for food hungry and take only what I can spend to Bass Pro shops leaving the debit and credit cards at home.:wink:

17. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    save your loose change (coins) each day and then use that money to do your christmas shopping at the end of the year.

18. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    Why hire a lawyer, when a mineshaft is cheaper?

BG is the the new spokesperson for Nair hair remover.

19. Rollinunknown

Rollinunknown New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Missouri
    Ive been thru bankruptcy already and im 26... let me tell you this i now save almost every dollar i get i save and on my side jobs i blow that money 100% on my boat and gear...

The money i make at the bait shop weekly i dont even count it i just deposit it at the atm as i get it and never look in the account.

I think i waste more money on buying the good oil for the boat then anything... most of the time i mix @ 40.1 and some times even more and i should only do 50.1:eek:oooh:

as far as buying food thing .. My wife takes care of that and i think she dose a good job we are never low on food. Most of it is name brands by 90%.

again i gotta think my biggest down fall is i run 93 octane in everything i own and run mobile 1 full synthetic and i don't slouch on good car parts.

20. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Folks like us are addicted to fishin gear. When ya have reached fishin gear "NIRVANA" stay there. Ain't no need to buy more rods and reels. Especially if ya take care of what ya got and its workin fine. :wink: