Whats your best Carp Flies?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing' started by Salmonid, Jul 14, 2006.

1. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    In my area ( SW Ohio) we do really well with hairy nymphs like Hares ears and then also with Black Stone Flies, Murrays Hellgramites, Floyd Frankie's Hellgramites, and small olive wooley buggers all work well for us here.

What are your favorites?
    Salmonid

2. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    The kind that gather after the carp has been on the bank for 3 days!!!!:eek:oooh: :big_smile: JUST kidding the hares ear is my favorite nymph for ALL kinds of fishing.I'll bet a 20lb carp on a flyrod is a memorable fight.:smile2:

3. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I havent gotten a 20 lber yet on the fly but have taken many in the 5-10 lb range and a few around 10-13 lbs, there a blast and darn strong on the fight!

Salmonid

4. Nate_Evans

Nate_Evans New Member

State:
    Stafford, VA
    I like cream and tan colored wollybuggers. Carp are alot of fun when you get them to bite. Do you bait them in?

5. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    ok i got a place in montecillo that has a bazillion carp in it and they school in groups of like 10... what would be a good fly to catch these carp on...
    oh i got a 5wt fly rod.... think this is too light for carp

well i reckon it would give it more fight lmao

and i got 4lb leader and tippet

6. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Nah, I never have to bait them in, I think that is kind of like cheating, anyways, I fish to single feeders along the river shore and typicaly when there schooled up and cruising, youll never get those to eat. Best approach is a small nymph, under a tiny indicator and slowly cast out past them, and S L O W L Y pull it back to his face and try to wait until you see him take it, or the indicator twitches and slowly lift up on him. Sensing the hit its the hardest part, I often use a 5 or 6 wt for them but if there are rocks around, I definately would upgrade to straight 10 lb mono for the leader which we like to keep at about 6-8 ft. any less and the fish will wrap you in shoreline sticks, weeds or rocks and break you off. early morns and late evenings is when we find them working the shorelines.

Salmonid

7. bigfatcat

bigfatcat New Member

State:
    virginia
    i use betts grasshoppers i caught one earlier this year on one and caught one couple of days ago on it

8. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Some guys I have seen like to flyfish a pond thats loaded with big carp. People throw bread to the ducks and geese in the pond and the carp have learned its a free meal if the ducks miss any. They use just some frayed yellow/white yarn and slowly let it sink. I have seen some very large fish caught on these flies including about a 20lb flathead! This pond is right next to the minnestoa river and some people have released them in this pond after catching them in the river. This was the first time I have ever seen a flathead caught on a fly. I will try to find the picture and post it sometime this weekend.