What's your Best advice???

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Johnny B, Jul 2, 2009.

1. Johnny B

Johnny B New Member

State:
    illinois
    Whats good advise for catfishing?? I like to hear knowledge from anyone about anything fishing...baits, rigs, time, places, I like to learn!

Like: I would advise to fish at night and use bigger bait for bigger fish..Fish like to eat meals , not snacks...and just never give up! :confused2::big_smile::big_smile::0a36::0a35::0a28::0a31:

2. richard84

richard84 New Member

State:
    ky

3. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

What kind of cats you trying to catch? Where,Lake river?

4. Johnny B

Johnny B New Member

State:
    illinois
    I live in Illinois right at the junction of the Fox and the Illinois. I was just looking for some good ol' advice.:wink: By the way I try and catch flatheads but usually end up with mostly channels!

5. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    By no means am I a Flathead expert, but here is my take on the situation.

Look for structure, meaning falling trees or timber. Shallow water at night, maybe in the 3-10' range. Bait? I'd go with gill, small carp, goldfish or even bullheads.

night bite? I perfer the 10-midnight range and like the 5am to 8am morning bite. but I mainly fish for Channels..

As was said in a previous post, gotta be patient and hope it goes well!!

Good luck on the Catfishing adventures!!:big_smile:

6. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

If your not already using big lively livebait,then switch to it.I like bait in the 5 to 12 inch range,gills,whitebass,whatevers the easiest for you to catch.I fish mainly for flats,but I get some big channels on that bait too.I like 7ft Ugly boat rods rated at 40 to 80 lb line.I like 7000 abu-garcias or 30 size saltwater casting reels.I use 80 to 120lb braid with a short 60lb mono leader in case I get hung up and have to snap it.I like sliding rigs with 4 to 8 oz no-roll sinkers.My hooks are usually Mustad 92671,s in 7/0 to 10/0 depending on bait size.Flats like cover,try to find some spots with log piles or big rock.If there,s cover,don,t be afraid to go shallow,under 4ft at night,flats like to roam at night.If your fishing right up next to logjams,try the bigcat slipfloats from Wildwolf.My best hours have been from an hour before dark to midnight,but I,ll fish whenever I,m able to.7:30 to 9:30 has been my best hours.Get out there and keep some nice lively bait in front of them.You gotta get out there and keep experimenting to see what,s working in your area.The 2 rigs I mentioned account for 90% of my flats.:wink:

7. CatHunterSteve

CatHunterSteve New Member

State:
    Snowville, Va
    Keep the bait fresh and lively, your hooks sharp and enjoy the journey!

8. indycatman

indycatman New Member

State:
    Greenwood, Indi
    i would use a 7' med/hvy action with mono and carolina rig with no roll sinker a nd 10/0 hook

9. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    use fresh cut bait, shad, suckers, anything thats legal.

And if you find a good spot, keep it to your self.

10. Johnny B

Johnny B New Member

State:
    illinois
    yea my choice of bait is 4 to 5 inch chunks of carp fillets. Works like a charm everytime!:wink:

11. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Fresh bait would be my tip..Always catch fresh local bait..Catch your own bait, it should be a part of every fishing trip..Invest in a cast net and a long handled dip net..Build yourself a worm box..Worms work great after rainy weather..Patience,patience and some more patience..

12. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Big bait and big fish:wink:

13. kvillcat

kvillcat New Member

State:
    Kernersville, Nc
    Don't always go out expecting or trying to catch the monster of the lake. Some of the best times I've had was catching eaters with my 2 sons. Also fresh bait I would agree with.

John

14. Jacksmooth

Jacksmooth Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Put in time and learn the waters you fish. You will find them. :wink: