whats you favorite sinker style and weight ?

Discussion in 'LOCAL NEBRASKA TALK' started by playin4funami, Nov 11, 2009.

1. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    Nebraska guys,I was wondering what style sinkers everyone likes to use and what size you use the most? Also include if you fish more still or moving water!

2. fmb

fmb New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I fish very fast moving water and have to have at least 4 oz of lead on the line....my favorite would be the 4-5 oz no roll.....

all though the best I've found for the way I tie my line is one my buddy tony made....its a half dollar size with a hook eye on top....they normally weigh 4-7 oz....and the design gets to the surface of the water very quick and then skips all the way in on the surface...

don this get me going on having a lead pourning party again!!!!!!!!

3. jrgriffhusker

jrgriffhusker New Member

State:
    Minden, Nebrask
    If I'm fishing in a lake I don't use weight w/ chicken liver, and maybe a half ounce egg sinker, just to keep the gillie on the bottom. If I'm on the river I usually use whatever I can get on the line that will hold the bait down. But if I'm set line fishing I use old nuts that my brother collects thru out the year for me. That way if I lose it or someone cuts my line I'm only out the cost of the hook. I'm not particular to any certain kind of weight, it all depends on what I'm fishing for. Sometimes I only use a 1/4 ounce split shot on a bobber, that is with a bluegill on the hook as bait. That's how I like catching my big bass. The bigger the gill the bigger the bass or catfish if they are biting. LOL

4. centexcop

centexcop New Member

State:
    Texas
    2 oz Disc sinker

5. flathead_hunter

flathead_hunter Well-Known Member

State:
    nebraska city
    8-12 oz most the time this year was trying 3 way rigs with the flatbanks..
    also fishin some swift current 9 times outa 10.. but if i'm flathead fishin' the rocks try not to go over 6 unless its one out in channel than you might have to step it up a little more...

6. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    my fave is the round river sinkers in i use 6 & 8 oz the most and some 2oz but not offten
    most of my fishing is in the fast moving water of the sippi and IL. rivers

Last edited: Nov 12, 2009
  7. fmb

fmb New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    show off.....the best river I get to fish is the mo and it's 120miles away....I'm really gonna try to get to the sippi next year...maybe I'll head your way

8. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    whatsamatter Frank the Platte not enough for you?lol might be 1/4 mile wide but its the ankle deep part that screws up the fishing...

9. fmb

fmb New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    yea I can remember when the platt had water in it....now my minnow trap is half in the water and half out.....around here more people take their jeeps and atv's in the river bed than fish it....

10. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    I love to fling a 5 oz egg sinker at passing personal watercraft.:smile2:

My mold makes egg sinkers 1,2,3,4,5 oz. I still don't understand what the hell is so speshul about no roll sinkers, you throw them out there and they lay in the muck where they can't roll.

11. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    next year come to the missouri gathering. LOZ is only 250 miles from me but it blows away the fishing in nebraska if you have a boat.

12. fmb

fmb New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    ohh the lake of the ozarks????? I would be interested in somthing like that....did you go last year???

13. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    Frank Jeff is right you need to come to the MO. gathering next year you would have a ball keep a eye on or join in with the gang on the thread friends of raccoon ridge. we will probly start making plans after christmas for the may gathering

14. flathead_hunter

flathead_hunter Well-Known Member

State:
    nebraska city

not trying to start a fight or anything but i don't agree with ya there.... i know theres alot of good fishing down there but we have some good fishing up here also... if there wasn't a hill outside my window and across tthe road i could see a good place :wink:

15. W. A. Sted

W. A. Sted New Member

State:
    NE - Omaha
    No snag sinkers for lake cattin. As for weight, if I need to really wing it, or if there is alot of wind I will increase the weight, if neither i'll just go with a half oz.

16. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    flatheadhunter that may be true where you live,but alot of nebraska lakes and rivers are few and far between for the rest of us,and the fishings nothing to get excited about. We don't have near the fisheries of a lot of other states,sure there's so good areas and the far eastern end of the state is not too bad, by the time you get 150 miles west things are sfferent.

17. katman#1

katman#1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    its a southern thing:smile2::smile2::smile2:

18. katman#1

katman#1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    no roll sinkers an drift weights

19. josh long

josh long New Member

State:
    Evansville, Illinois
    the cheapest best one I have found is one i make. I just haven't found one that I was really happy with until i started making these. the local farm store here carrys these 6 oz duck decoy weights that are shaped kind of like a skinny football. You take one of them and flatten it out with a hammer until its about a quarter inch thick, which is only takes about 5 or 6 good whacks! and then drill a small hole in the end,. its pretty fast and easy, and when your done the weight won't get hung up as much, don't roll, and seems to stay where you put it!

20. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    for me it's hard to beat no roll sinker for slip rigs in the current,a 3 oz no roll will hold where a 12oz bank sinker fails, On a 3 way rig the disk sinker is good in current,almost all my lake fishing is done with egg sinkers for slide rigs and bank sinkers for three way rigs,drifting I use mainly bank sinkers and no snag sinkers once in a while,I like to use the smallest weight I can get away with and still hold the rig on the bottom,with one exception being when I want the wieght to slip under a log jam fishing on a river then I'll use small eggsinkers to keep the bait down but not hold it very much.