Whats you favorite part of cut bait?

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by Desode, Oct 7, 2008.

Whats your Favorite part of cut bait ?

1. Head

2. Middle section

3. Tail

4. Stomach/Guts

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Desode

Desode New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Hey guys, I have noticed a couple of things this week,

1. I ain't catching much on live bait. I always start out with live bait and if it doesn't get any action then I bring it in and cut it up. Well the last couple of weeks its been all about the cut bait and as soon as I switch to cut bait, I catch a fish in almost 10 minutes from the switch and most of these fish are Flatties.

2. I have been getting all my Big Hard hits and runs on the head. The rest of the cut bait is producing fish but the bite is lite on the those parts and I'm not seeing any runs on these parts. This Oct on my area of the ohio river it seems to be all about the cut heads right now.

I was wondering what part of the cut bait do you like to use best?
    I'm going to run a poll on this and if you guys have any comments about the head producing more runs and harder hits, or if any of you have noticed a pattern as to certian parts doing better in different seasons/ water temps please post them.

Thanks for your time and consideration, Matt AKA DESODE

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Some things to consider when using cut bait. If you initially try to keep the bait alive in a tank then, AS SOON AS IT DIES, you must remove it from the water and put it on ice. Never let your bait soak, because it will leach out all the oils (flavor).

If you are fishing live bait and it dies and then you bring it in and cut it up, then your bait will only be good until the small amount of oil on the inside leaches out (this explains you getting hits in the first 10 minutes only)

What is the best part? I am not sure about best part, because I no expert, but my favorite part is dictated by the potential size of the fish I can catch. Plus the fish are very finicky so they dictate as well.

When fishing big water, I like to use the Head and Gut sack as one piece of bait. I try to have some medium to large skipjack. Fillet the sides (scales on), then carve the gut sack off (still attached to the head). This is by far the most "Flavored" portion, but it requires a pretty good fish to eat it. The two fillets are then cut up based on the size of fish that I can catch and what they are biting on.

The head/gut sack also make good chunks of bait individually.

When using smaller bait such as 4-6 inch shad, then I just cut off the tail and discard it. The remainder of the bait is cut in 3-4 portions counting the head and based on size.

Any bait smaller than 4 inches, I simply cut it in half and put it on the hook.

3. Desode

Desode New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Quote , Hilljack "If you are fishing live bait and it dies and then you bring it in and cut it up, then your bait will only be good until the small amount of oil on the inside leaches out (this explains you getting hits in the first 10 minutes only) "

I didn't mean first 10 minutes only, I was saying that I have been catching fish that quickly from making a switch to cut bait when I was getting no action at all on live bait. Most of my bait stays alive forever on the hook, and it is most of the time alive when I bring it in and cut it up. Thats just because I have dedicated a lot of time to learning how to keeping bait fresh and very alive because Flathead are very vibration oriented when hunting.

I got to say though, that is a GREAT point your making about if its dead when you cut it up then it will only be good until the small amount of oil on the inside leaches out. I didn't know that at all and I have cut up bait before thats been dead and only got a couple of hits on it then nothing. I always wondered if the fact of it being dead for a while before it was cut had something to do with that. Thanks alot thats some good info I didn't know.
    Matt AKA DESODE

4. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    We also seem to do better on the head, my second favorite would be fillets then whole small shad. We have noticed the last couple of years the head producing better as long as the water temps were upper 40's and above. When the water temps dropped to mid 40's and lower the fillets and whole small shad would produce better. Another tip when using the heads is sometimes it seems to help if you step on them smashing them some before putting them on the hook, seems to get more juices flowing putting out more scent.

5. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I quit using live bait years ago for flatheads..I have much better luck on fresh dead bait, usually the head, be it shad, sucker, gills, or bass. Another thing I do is change my bait often, usually every 20 minutes or so, I want the bait to have the oils, and blood in it.

6. brother hilljack

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Jack, it still amazes me that you catch so many flatheads on cut bait. I still have not had a chance to target flatheads this way, but I am sure going to give it a shot once I am back on the water.

The head being the preferred choice of bait for the fish makes sense, it has the most blood, therefore the most flavor.

7. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Heads for flatheads and bodies for channels.

8. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Where are you guys fishing Lakes or Rivers? I havent hit the rivers much this year! I agree with hilljack bout just cuttin the tail off and using the remainding piece. But i also have been having luck with alot of live bait this year. Also i been taking live gills or warmouths and just scoring the sides of them with my knife and throwin them out this way! I usually change my cut bait every 30 mins.

9. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Jack do you bottom fish for these flats with cut bait or use a float? If im right you fish alot of rivers. Do you think the current plays a part on why your catching these flats, with the bait moving? Ive never caught a flat on cut bait. I havent caught one this year period and ive been fishing hard!

10. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    When using cut bait i am in agreement with the others. The head seems to get the most hits. The midsection of the cut bait loses the oils and remaining entrails fast. When i first started targeting flats it was all about live bait but the last few years i have been using more and more cutbait and have been catching just as many if not more flatties.

11. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    thats my preferd method also Jack, ive caught alot of bigs ones that way

12. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I've always used live Bluegills for Flatheads.......but I haven't caught a good one since may. I may have to try cut for Flats. I use the head of bluegills for targeting large Bluecats and channels. I use the head of skipjacks and guts w/ strips when targeting large stripers.:smile2:

13. Trevor1

Trevor1 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Seems to me it just depends, sometimes they like the head, the body, whole, live, small, big. I just use different presentations on several rods. But one thing that always seems to be best is for the bait to be fresh.

14. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I voted for the heads. I prefer the skipjack heads.

15. ohio hilljack

ohio hilljack New Member

State:
    ohio
    THIS YEAR I'VE FISHED LAKES ALMOST EXCLUSIVELY .I DRIFT FISH WITH CUT SHAD AND HAVE HAD LUCK WITH DIFFERENT PIECES THROUGHOUT THE YEAR. IN THE SPRING THEY LOVED THE HEADS IN THE SUMMER THEY LOVED THE SMALL ONES WHOLE. NOW THEY SEEM TO GO FOR THE MIDDLE PART WITH THE GUTS STILL IN IT. SO I WOULD HAVE TO SAY IT JUST DEPENDS ON WHAT THE FISH WANT,AND DON'T BE AFRAID TO TRY EACH. I WILL SAY I HAVE NEVER CAUGHT A FISH ON THE TAIL.

16. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    My confidence is always with the head!

17. brother hilljack

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    It seems that the heads are winning by a long shot. There is always room on the boat for experiementation though and I would say to try a little bit of all combinations and simply figure out what the fish want

18. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    While it seems like the body section would give off the most scent, I have the best luck with the head section. I dont know why...it would seem as though the head section with its eyes in tact would look most like an actual bait fish but Im pretty sure the fish cant even see it in that dark water at night.:confused2:

19. ohiocattin15

ohiocattin15 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i have alot of luck hooking the head up through the skull. It helps the bait stay on and i seem to catch more fish that way

20. tcba1987

tcba1987 New Member

State:
    Dennison, Ohio
    ive noticed the same thing here on the Tusc River..........nothing on live bait and as soon as i cut the bait up i get bit...........and MOST of them have been flatties.