What's wrong with this deer?

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Trophy Hunter, Jul 8, 2006.

1. Trophy Hunter

Trophy Hunter New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I took these pictures Sat. in N.C. I saw this deer and decided to walk up on it and see how close I could get. I ended up getting within 15 - 20 feet of her. When she decided I had gotten close enough she just casually walked away. Is this common? No hunting pressure? Sick? Tell me what you think please.

2. Ellis

Ellis New Member

State:
    Yellow Springs, Ohio
    Depends on the area where it lives. More than likely its been fed by human multiple times or is not in an area where people hunt. All the deer in my area run away:roll_eyes:

3. catsrking

catsrking New Member

State:
    Iowa
    May not be anything wrong. Human encroachment has had a funny effect on animals. Some seem to more readily accept cohabitation. Could be??

4. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    She looks perfectly healthy to me. I guess she just isn't afraid of you.

5. Jammer

Jammer New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    We had a little 4 point buck come up in our backyard and we went out and fed it some grass and touched the felt on his antlers, then he just turned and walked away. If I can find the pictures I'll post them.

6. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    something is wrong with that deer i think unless you where in a state park. that deer is aleast a 1 year old and if in a area where hunting is allowed in n.c. it should have not let you get that close unless she thought you didnt see her and she was hidding more or less but even then she should of high tailed it out of there. she maybe in the beginning stages of this new diaese going around. i will say the does i been seeing have been in a relaxed kind of mood lately but nothing i could walk up to. i hear deer will lay around water when they have blue tongue and die. i saw a hunting show with buckmasters a few years ago in montana and jackie found some dieing deer along a creek bank. they would jump up run and then fall. really hard to say for sure but she wont be doing that come hunting season.

7. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Most likely some one in the area is feeding it.I had a young doe start eating sweet feed every evening with my childrens pet goats.It got to coming in the yard,sniffing noses with my beagle and generaly hanging around my house and yard.It hung around untill I moved a few months later.Last time I saw her she looked to be ready to drop a fawn.peewee-williams

8. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    It really depends on its exposure to humans. Deer in areas where there is little hunting pressure and where they are ebing fed by humans do not have an immediate fear. I have seen deer on golf courses that would feed on one side of a green while people putted on the other.

9. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    I agree with Wylie.

ST

10. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    That deer looks perfectly alert and healthy to me. I vote with the others that said perhaps she was pen raised, or had alot of exposure to humans. If a fawn is raised initially by humans, and relies on them for food, they will exhibit very little fear even in the latter stages of their lives. Just my opionion, but thx for sharing the photos. Really Neat shots.

11. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I dont think anything is wrong with it either. It just hasnt learned to be afraid of people yet. I see this all the time with deer that havent gone thru hunting season yet.

12. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    well, from what i can see, the deer is a little thin compared to deer around here, maybe its just the area. But i walked upon a little fawn the other day and got about 10 feet away and it high tailed it outta there. but again nice pics, u might wanna check into CWD, EHD, and any other around your area... doubt it was EHD though.

13. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    Sometimes deer jsut aren't shy. In the smokey mountaisn you can practically pet them. If nothing is shooting at them they get accustomed to it.

14. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    I tend to agree that either it is used to humans, hasn't been hunted or doesn't know what you are.
    About 25 years ago, I got home from work one afternoon and when I asked my wife what was for supper, she said "squirrel" and handed me my 22 rifle. About a half hour later, I was back on a old fire lane road, sitting on a tree stump just enjoying the experience of being in the woods and quietly waiting for supper to come by. In no time a small doe, about the size of yours, walked up on me. She saw me, but didn't know what I was. She ended up about 10 feet away and laid down to chew her cud and watch me. We just watched each other for what must have been 20 minutes or so. Supper started coming through the trees towards us, so I finally stood up and told her to leave. She jumped up and ran about 200 ft away, stopped and looked back giving me a dirty look. She then just wandered away. Squirrel gravy just hit the spot later that evening. Life can be real good sometimes.

15. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    I have to agree with the othes. I think that is has had human contact before. There are a ton of animals that will tame easy if you just have some contact with em.

16. gberan

gberan New Member

State:
    Deville louisiana
    I have no idea, i am a new member and have no post yet and i have to have 10 to see attachments.l

17. gberan

gberan New Member

State:
    Deville louisiana
    I guess I got to do this 8 more times to get to see the deer.:big_smile:

18. gberan

gberan New Member

State:
    Deville louisiana
    I sure hope it dont run away before I see it.:embarassed:

19. gberan

gberan New Member