Whats wrong with this bait?

Discussion in 'Homemade baits' started by thudpucker, Aug 21, 2008.

1. thudpucker

thudpucker New Member

State:
    Culman AL
    How long do you have to leave the sets down?
    I put them down at Dark, and picked them at Daylight. That shoulda done it eh?

For Bait,
    I used some stuff I bought at WalMart but it never worked in another place I tried it.
    So this time I mixed up some Fresh Chicken livers, crushed Garlic, Anise extract, Vinella Extract and some extra virgin olive oil we had.
    I blended that into a fine soup.
    I put a gob of it in a piece of Panty Hose, along with a chunk of the WalMart stuff and wrapped it around the Treble hooks.

Could it be I shoulda used just plain fresh chicken livers?

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I am not sure, I never use this sort of bait for set lines. I prefer live or cut.

This style of bait typically works best in lakes/ponds or areas where there is not a great deal of water movement.

3. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Last time I jugged the only fish I caught was on Garlic Liver stuffed in pantyhose . That night I used shad whole ,cut bluegill cut and heads . I have also found while rod and reel fishing not all places have the same success with the same stink bait either . I have some home made stuff that has only worked in the cumberland river between Barkley dam and the ohio river . Ihave tried it many places . Only the cats know what they wanna eat all the time . lol:big_smile:

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Dick Welcome to the BOC, from So. Illinois. I don't know what is wrong with your bait. Never tried that formula before. I would suggest you try using shrimp soaked in garlics powder. Or you might try changing location with the bait you described.:0a22::0a25::0a25:

5. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Dick.

6. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    Welcome to the hood Dick. Best bunch here you'll find anywhere.

7. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Dick,
    Welcome to the BOC and i have found it is best to use what kind of bait is in the water that you are fishing for your bait

8. thudpucker

thudpucker New Member

State:
    Culman AL
    I went to the 'bait that's in the water' as you guys suggested.
    I put out Five hooks overnight in a gully about 43' down. It's a portion of the old creek bed which has some water coming off the cliffs. That water was the source of this creek.
    I put out three Shiners and two Goldfish. A BUCK APIECE! Criminy sakes!
    The two Shiners dissapeard and both gold fish were still alive.

So I put some fresh Chicken livers on another set in a gully. Still nothing.
    The Chicken livers were still on the hooks.

Sounds Like I dont have any idea where the fish are!
    I wonder if I should be making these sets on the hill tops?

9. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Dick, welcome to the BOC.

Are there cats in this creek?

10. ateamfisherman

ateamfisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    Welcome to BOC I sure like your mascot. Is it a he or she. thanks sam Davis

11. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Welcome to the BOC, Dick! I never had much luck using prepared bait of any kind. Almost always, I've done best using fresh cut shad or skipjack, but on one trip, all they would hit was fresh chicken liver, and on another, they only wanted cured chicken liver. Another time, bacon was the answer, after trying 6 or 7 other baits, including skipjack. But for years, I'd run my jugs and trotlines with no other bait in the boat but fresh shad.

12. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Think I would not put all my hooks at the same depth. Try setting some of them more shallow near bank Catfish like to feed close to the bank at night time on insects and stuff that falls off trees and shore line.

13. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I'd try a couple of test sets along the edge of the channel; try to find an old stumprow along there if possible. Often, you can follow suggestions in bass fishing articles for locating structure and do very well on catfish.

14. thudpucker

thudpucker New Member

State:
    Culman AL
    I didnt know about the cats crowding the banks at night.
    In this lake there are a lot of old limb lines and Yo-yo's abandond over the cliffs. I may make a set of lines over there tomorrow night just to test.
    I'll use Shad and Chicken livers too.

15. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    problem is it will be removed. the rules are YOU must be in the pic of avatar. the pooch will be removed by staff.

welcome to the b.o.c.

heads up so you know why its removed.

16. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Yoyos, and to a little lesser extent limb lines, are generally set within a few feet of the surface. I'd be willing to bet that even if the water is deep along those cliffs (probably is), those limb lines and yoyos were set no more than 6'-8' deep, and may have been set on, or almost on, the surface.