Whats wrong with the Scioto River?

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by dinkbuster1, Aug 15, 2009.

1. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    made another horribly boring trip from Dayton to the Scioto yesterday with a couple friends to fish for some Flatheads and Gar. ended up going to one of the spots Flathunter took us to before on the Mid-Scioto and had a horrible night, not one flathead and maybe two runs total (2 swing and a miss runs). we did however manage to catch 6 gar, one being around 12lb.
    we fished from about 5 pm to 330am.

aside from two of us catching our person best flatheads from that river all the trips we have made over there have been pretty boring and uneventful for the most part. i think 2 or 3 flatheads has been the most i have ever seen caught in one trip. the river doesnt seem to have many flatheads, but the ones caught do seem to be bigger. also, channel cats seem to be non-existent. with all the shad i see in that river, along with the drum for food you would think the river would be lousy with flatheads and channels. for some reason it seems there is a very low survival rate, and the ones that do make it get big. we also noticed how very few people fish the scioto unlike the GMR where you have to use stealthy ninja tactics to keep your spot from being over run with fishermen.

we normaly fish the Mid-Lower GMR which is almost deviod of good baitfish (lousy with crawfish though!) but unlike the Scioto it is lousy with big fat healthy channels, and even though they seem to top out at around 35lb is lousy with Flatheads too. its almost a guarentee that you are going to catch a few flatheads on every trip but they mostly do tend to run small
    in the 3-10 lb range. you throw out a live gill or a piece of cut bait and it usually doesnt sit very long without a taker. we thought it may be because of the gar eating up all the small flats and channels (which the Gmr doesnt have above dam in Hamilton) but the lower GMR has them too and there isnt much a difference in numbers of cats.

aside from fishing for Gar, which i have found very fun to target, i really dont enjoy targeting Flatheads on the scioto. even though we had a chance at a BIG fish we sat there last night, sweating and swatting bugs all night asking ourselves...."is this really worth the drive?"

Last edited: Aug 15, 2009
  2. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    ????? if you were bank fishing, you were just standing on 1st base, when there is the whole playing field out there my friend...The scioto has a good quantity of really nice trophy channels and flats....You cant buy watermelon in the hardware dept....Good luck fishin in the future bro

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The scioto has sucked this year, everytime I am close to it anymore I see boats running trotlines galore.

I have taken 9 straight skunking on the scioto, not just for flatheads, but also channle cats..

Have not caught a fish since May on the scioto.

4. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Now you understand why I get bored out of my mind while fishing the scioto.

When you make 7 or 8 trips, and fish for 10-12 hrs each trip and never get a bite....It is very boring, and not enjoyable.

5. Slatebar

Slatebar New Member

State:
    ohio
    misterwhisker pretty much said it all. Really, to get the best of the Scioto you need a boat. It is a GREAT river and is has a good population of both Large Shovlehead and Chanell cats.

6. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    This may be true is some areas.

But the spots that have yielded fish for me in years past seem totaly devoid of fish this year, and I am talking 20 foot plus deep holes.

7. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    The GMR has been acting the same lately. :angry:

8. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Yes but alot of them are now swimming in paylakes.

9. ambassadeur

ambassadeur New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Sorry about your luck. I'm not exactly sure where at on the scioto you were fishing, I'm guessing around chillicothe, and around here you have to keep your spot top secret or it will be fished to death, it's pathetic. But, I'm not sure whats up with the flatheads, or the whole river this year. It's been weird. I've been skunked all year fishing for flatheads, I've only hooked up one time. Channel cats usually aren't a problem for me though, I hardly every fish for em anymore though.

10. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    A boat is the key ingredient for fishing the mighty scioto, sure you can catch them from the shore, however your success rate would be alot higher from a boat, I know this from experience. Yes I too use to be a bank person years ago, and having a boat sure makes it nice and alot easier also, I have fished the scioto for over 30 years and i too have seen cold spells where i didnt catch cats, but to go along time with out catching nothing, it has never happened.

11. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    well, it is possible the area ( 7-8 mile area) we have been fishing is not the greatest, fished to death or whatever but those same type holes over here would be awesome spots and would still catch fish even though they are packed around the clock. a really bad phone pic, but here was the biggest gar caught.

Attached Files:

12. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    jack.. maybe you dont know the scioto like you think you do, if you would get a boat and learn how to read a depth finder maybe you could be alot better flathunter:wink:

13. RIVERRUNT

RIVERRUNT New Member

State:
    reynoldsburg ohio
    I dont know but ever since me and jack fished the scioto with garrett.i think garrett has caught every fish there is in the scioto.i heard hes built a cabin right by the river and he said hes not leavin till he he beats his personal best flathead of 52 lbs.So at least theres fish left over 52 lbs in there.I saw him down there yesterday and gave him some vienna sausages and some crackers.Hes growing a beard and was mumbling something about a 65 lber he had up to the bank last night and broke off and kept repeating da** turtles da** turtles:eek:oooh:

14. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I never said I knew the scioto, I have just stumbled across a few good spots in the last several years.

I have had 2 boats, sold them...I will never set foot in a boat again:wink:

I will take a skunking on the bank, over catching fish from a boat anytime.

I cant swim, and Mellon almost got us killed on the river in his boat, after that I said no more:crazy:

Last edited: Aug 16, 2009
  15. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I think a lot of it has to do with WHERE on the Scioto your talking about. If the boat in your avitar is what your fishing the Scioto in, there is no way on God's green earth that your taking it on the Scioto in South East Ohio. I have a 17 foot Tracker Targa and I can fish MAYBE a 1 mile stretch in the Chillicothe area, which has the only available boat ramp , with the exception of Circleville. The CVille spot is unlaunchable with my particular boat. The boat I had before this was a 14 foot Tracker Guide series. It wasn't able to go any further than my current boat.

I'm assuming you must be fishing the Scioto closer to the Portsmouth area? I like fishing the Scioto (at times). The Portsmouth area though is about 3 hours I believe from where I live. If there are close ramps on the Scioto where a Deep V can go, please PM me.-Thanks

16. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    As the old movie goes from Cheech an Chong. "It's tough all over" Oh so true right now in several places I've been fishing at. Alot of skunks right now for myself.

17. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    We have a fish camp on the scioto near waverly, and it does have a boat ramp, and we fish out of jons with jets, its a hell of a place to fish, have caught thousands of fish there....by the way i have several boats. 1 is for lake erie 1 for the local lakes and the ohio river and 1 for the mighty scioto :wink:

18. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i am still convinced, at least in the sections that i have fished that there is something very wrong with that river. it just defies all logic with all the forage there is in that river. there should be all kinds of fat healthy channels and flatties to be caught but it just doesnt produce much. like i said previously, it seems there is a low survival rate for young catfish, or too many other fish that the rivers i frequent do not have (like drum, buffalo, etc) that disturb spawning sites or eat up the eggs.

another fish i hardly see is Carp. i have taken carp poles on almost every trip over there and still havent caught or even seen a Carp in the Scioto.

BTW, what is a "Fish Camp"?

Last edited: Aug 17, 2009
  19. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    Its a place where we hang out and go fishing...2 and a half acres of water front it has a shelter house, boat ramp all the conveniences of home, very nice place

20. ambassadeur

ambassadeur New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I see carp jumping all the time. I'm not exactly sure what stretch of river you're fishing?? Or what type of spot you're fishing? What you've been describing sounds very strange.