What's wrong with my tomato plants?

Discussion in 'Garden Tips And Talk' started by ladyfish50, Jun 17, 2006.

1. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I've got 3 Better Bush tomatoes, & 1 Better Boy plant. They're all about 5 feet tall; thick & bushy & loaded w/green tomatoes. In fact I picked a few small "pink" ones this morning. But, 2 of the Better Bush plants have started getting yellow leaves. At first, they would yellow & then turn brown & dry. But now they're just yellow. I did just fertilize them 2 days ago w/fish emulsion out of my aquarium filters. And there's granulated tomato food that I put in the ground when I planted them. I noticed a few days ago, that when I was working around the plants, there were these tiny, tiny white bugs...smaller than gnats. I sprayed the plants the next day, in case this is what's causing it. I've heard that you can get a virus in the soil; wondering if this is it. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. trfoster

trfoster New Member

State:
    north carolina
    WELL BACTERIA IN THE SOIL COULD BE THE CAUSE BUT BE SURE YOUR NOT OVER WATERING THEM ALSO OR MAKE SURE THAT THEY HAVE GOOD DRAINAGE, PLANT BEING FLOODED WITH WATER WITH POOR DRAINAGE CAN CAUSE ROOT ROT.MAY HAVE OVER FERTILIZED ALSO. TRY REPLANTING THEM IN NEW SOIL WITH NO FERTILIZER AND SEE IF IT HELPS. DONT WORRY IF THEY WILT DOWN AT FIRST AFTER REPLANTING JUST WATER A LITTLE AT FIRST AND THEN EARLY MORNING OR LATE EVENING.THEY SHOULD COME BACK OK AND ACTUALLY THE STRESS WILL DO THEM GOOD IN THE LONG RUN. FOR THE BUGGS TRY THE ORTHOS SEVREN DUST ON THE GROUND AROUND THE PLANTS. GOOD LUCK!:smile2:

3. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    at times the yellowing leaf can be a sign of to much water but this would be out of place for a tomato plant, as it is only going on with some plants and others are ok I would say you have the begining of a bug problem. Here in Tennessee A good application of SEVEN DUST could head off your problem.

4. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    we get what we call fire blight in our 'maters sometimes. The leaves will turn brown and die from the bottom of the plant up. If you catch it quick enough a good fungicide will help.

5. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Thanks for the input. I'm gonna post some pics, as soon as my husband gets them downloaded, so you can get a look at em. But I will try the sevin dust; sure won't hurt anything!

6. kevhead56

kevhead56 New Member

State:
    Greenfield, Il
    Sounds like you might have spider mites. They like hot, dry conditions usually. Here in Illinois they were bad last year. They are hard on the soybeans but took a real toll on peoples tomatoes. They will turn yellow then brown and dry up.

7. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    i have the same guesses others mentioned. i hope you get it figured out! shoot my maters up way here are only a foot tall. lol

8. Hootowlc3

Hootowlc3 New Member

State:
    Florida
    Try here http://gardening.about.com/gi/dynam...on.edu/factsheets/Graphics/tomdis/eblight.htm

9. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

These fellows sure are helpful, even almost two years later :wink:.

Have you planted your tomatoes for this year Roxie? Hope you don't have any trouble with 'em sis.

10. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

AHA! I thought I had read something about you buying tomato plants somewhere on here!

www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71037

Better Boy, Beefmaster, Celebrity and JS2000.....just read on that thread that you chose a different spot to plant them in this year.

How are they getting along?

11. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Well, thanks guys for bringing this one back up to the top!! Yes, they are in the ground in a new spot. After the first week, a few of them started getting yellow leaves, so I did a little research. Decided to give them a good liquid fertilizing & some epsom salt; they have really greened back up!(Hope I don't jinx them!) In fact, just today, I went out & pinched back some of the "suckers" on them; I want them to get a little sturdier before they start branching out. But so far, things are looking good.
    And Catgirl, I just got my second issue of the Living the Country Life; thanks again for telling me about that one. I love it!!

12. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i was gonna say. i just planted mine today:eek:oooh:

and i grow roma. i never ate em growing up and still dont on sandwitches ect.. i grow tomatoes for salsa only. and found two years ago that romas are more beefier. its the gel i cant get past. yuck. ive put a better goy in a huge pot for my wife on the deck. she likes em. i wont eat em on a salad. if there chopped small i will eat em on tacos. the romas i dont have that prob with.

13. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I got mine in pots and been using miracle grow for maters and they have been growing like weeds. I have some cherrys already coloring. I talked to the nursury about calcium powder and he told me las vegas water has to much in its water already. I think hes right as I use lime away all the time on my shower and sink. My peppers are jamming also. I just might be a balcony farmer after all. :big_smile:

14. Sigmar

Sigmar New Member

State:
    Texas
    I'm having the same problem Roxie. The leaves are yellowing from the bottom up. My plants are in huge pots, thinking I may need to transplant them in the ground.

15. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    Sigmar, get some Epsom Salts. Magnesium Sulfate.

16. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I put a snort of this under every plant and add more periodically.

17. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thanks for the lead guys. I did a search and found some good information to share about this Epsom Salts practice. I don't have any of the problems described, but would like to extend fruit development. :big_smile:
    http://www.doityourself.com/stry/fertilizeepsomsalts

18. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    Jack, thanks for that link. I never would've thought about using as a foliar spray or on the roses. I've always added it to the planting hole as it was planted.

19. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Have never used E Salt as a plant boaster but guess I'm gonna have to gve it a try. Thanks everyone for the great information.Gonna try it on the Roses.Don't have no tomatoes planted.:sad2:

20. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    NO TOMATOES!!!! :crazy::crazy::crazy::eek:oooh::eek:oooh::eek:oooh:LOL