What's wrong with my motor?

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by weathermantrey, Apr 5, 2006.

1. weathermantrey

weathermantrey New Member

State:
    central,sc
    This weekend I went out on the lake in my boat. I always check to make sure the water pump is working, but later on that day apparently at some point it quit on me. I was never in any mud or anything to clog it up. I was going down the lake and looked back to see my motor starting to smoke. After sitting there for 3 hours and letting it cool off, I recranked it and the water pump and the motor all seemed to be working fine. While iw as loading my boat I reached my hand back there to so how hot the water was coming out of the drain and the water all of a sudden quit coming out? My questions are, what would cause my water pump to go in and out like this, and could i have done any serious damage to my motor when it overheated. It seemed to run fine on the way back to the ramp. But the fact that it got hot enough to smoke has me worried.

2. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Hello, I'm Ot A Mech. Bu It Sounds To Me As If The Thermostat Is Sticking. What Kind Of Motor Is It?

3. weathermantrey

State:
    central,sc
    1983 70hp evinrude. I'm worried sick I messed something up real bad. I just went outside and it fired right up. I'm not gonna push my luck with it though, I'm gonna take it to my mechanic tomorrow and let him check things out. I'm hopeing that since it was running ok when I left the lake,I didn't do any major damage to the motor when it ran hot.

4. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    There's a service order on the older 70 hp. It's about your problem, the cooling water flow. Have your mech check it out and get your engine modified.

5. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    How long has it been since the impeller in the water pump was changed? I change mine at least every 2 years as that was what was told to me. I guess they tend to dry out and the fins break off.

6. weathermantrey

State:
    central,sc
    The guy I bought it from said he replaced pretty much everything with new parts, except the water pump.... looks like I should have went ahead and replaced that when i got the boat.

7. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Sounds to me like it was a plastic bag or something covering the water pickup. Melted a 150 one time like that. A ice bag caught on the foot and turned it into a anchor.
    Pete

8. Bigunz

Bigunz New Member

Outboards have thermostats??????? Mine starts pumping water with the engine just turning over to start it?!?! And it flows a very steady, and high pressured stream the whole time it's running.

9. weathermantrey

State:
    central,sc
    well i went to the mech today and he's gonna put a new water pump in it and some other things. here's the news... my middle cylinder is only getting about 85psi compression. My mechanic says the best option is just keep running it. He said it may last a week or may last 10 years. Do yall think my best option is to just keep running it or should I go ahead and spend some serious $ and get it fixed?

10. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    What are the numbers on the other two. If it is just that one take it and have the one bored or do it yourself. I can't understand a tech telling a customer to run it with the compression down on one cylinder.
    I'll look and see I might have the bulletin they sent out on those cooling systems.

11. weathermantrey

State:
    central,sc
    the other ones were around 115 psi.. Could you give me an estimate on how much it would cost me to completely redo the one cylinder and have everything to where it needs to be? Thanks alot for the info

12. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    That is way to much difference to let it go. As for the cost Bobpaul could proably answer that better then I could. If it were mine I would do it myself so there for I don't follow the cost a whole lot.

13. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    Yes, Most Engines Do Have Thermostats To Restrict THe Flow Somewhat tHru The Engine; Otherwise It Passes Thru So Quick THat Radiation Properties Never Have Time To Really Work.

Hope Any Damage You May Have Caused Is Minor

Good Luck, Elliot

14. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    It sounds like your mechanic thought he might loose an easy water pump job if he told you not to use it until you got the rebuild.

One cyl is a few hundred less than getting them all done, but you need to get the one done by someone who won't tell you it might last a week or it might last ten years.

Your looking at about 1800.00. Most of it labor and 1 cyl bored plus an over sized piston.

Then there's the service order compliance for the cooling system.

If all is done right, you'll have a motor that'll run better than ten years.

I'll try to get a closer quote on what your cost is tomorrow.

15. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Bob if that service bulletin is the one where they show you where to drill to let more water flow thru the block and where to move the tell-tell to and the t-stat and impeller change I think I have that in my files somewhere. If you want to take a look and see if it is the right one just let me know. I know I had to do this to my brothers 70 h/p but his was a 92 model.

16. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Yeah Bubba, that's the one.

17. weathermantrey

State:
    central,sc
    Is it possible that the overheat just caused my head gasket to go bad and maybe that's why my middle cylinder has low compression? Also, since this is an old engine and I didn't notice any power loss afterwards, I thought maybe the overheat didn't do any damage and maybe that cylinder is just running low on copmression from carbon build up and a stuck ring or something. What are yalls thoughts on using some king of decarboning stuff to see if that helps any?

18. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    I doubt if carbon would drop the compression that much but you can take the cover off and check that cylinder by sight and feel.
    If the wall of the hole are rippled then time for a reboar.

All it is going to cost you is the time to pull the cover and the gasket to replace it.
    I am just like you always hoping but with it smoking after it heated up then I would venture to say it toasted that cylinder thats down.

One big question I would like to ask, Why didn't the horn sound. Did you buy this motor recently or have you had it for awhile.
    There is a simple test to check the warning system.

19. weathermantrey

State:
    central,sc
    I got this motor about a year ago. I wasn't aware that these older engines came witha warning horn. I do know one thing, I plan on putting a warning horn on my basstracker before I take out again. I can't afford having this happen twice.

20. weathermantrey

State:
    central,sc
    If it is going to cost me upwards of 2,000 bucks to fix, I think I would rather look into just buying a newer engine so I have something a little more reliable.