What's wrong with me?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Catfunk, Mar 30, 2006.

1. Catfunk

Catfunk New Member

State:
    OK
    I am beginning to wonder what is wrong with me. Usually, when I go out fishing I catch one to two fish if I catch anything at all. Since I have been here on this site, I seem to notice that alot of you all catch more like 10 or so on an average outing. Just wondering if anyone else rigs their pole like I do and if it is, perhaps, the problem. Here it is and thanx in advance. Any suggestions on something new to try?

Attached Files:

2. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I use a different rig than you do, My hook is at the end of the line then a 12 inch mono leader, swivel, then a sliding sinker...Dont feel bad, I very seldom catch many fish in an outing either..If I catch 5 or 6 I consider it a good day.

3. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    When I fish with shad that's how I do it. Only I use two hooks about 18" apart. I guess I feel like I'm fishin' two different depths on the same rig. I have caught two at once one time. Both were small but boy waht a fight.

I think your rig is fine. Might give Punch bait a try. Check out Danny King punch bait. This stuff works !!! Danny is a BOC sponsor and a few brothers sell it also. I rig it like Jack does in the above post.

4. TXBlueHunter

TXBlueHunter New Member

State:
    Flower Mound, Texas
    I think you rig is fine. My want to try a few different setups and different baits. Like Tod (T-Bone) stated try a punch bait.

What areas do you fish? Are you fishing a lake or river? Are you fishing from a boat or bank?

Do not feel bad about only catching a few, I am in the same boat. It I catch more than 4 or so I have had a good day.

5. Jroc777

Jroc777 Member

State:
    Evansville, IN
    I personally use a slip sinker rig and it has worked really well for me. I have attached a couple pics of this setup although I dont think there is anything wrong with the setup that you are using. I would like to ask how much you move and if you are fishing from the bank or a boat. When I fish from bank there isnt always as much room to change locations and this hurts the amount of fish you can catch sometimes. If you are fishing from a boat I suggest that you only stay in one spot for 30 minutes or so then move on to another spot. This lets you cover much more water and increases your chances of coming onto more cats. :0a26:

Attached Files:

6. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Ya might give Range Cubes a try. Wade out and throw or use a sling shot (if your bored) a bunch of cubes. This will help draw some cats to ya..

7. gebs

gebs New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I'm typically in the 4-6 range, but I'm also only out about 3 hours or so at a crack.

I've used your rig before, but I typically do the reverse. I place a 1/4 oz. egg sinker on, then a snap swivel and the hook below.

As asked before, where do you fish? Lake vs. river. Bank vs. boat.

Also, how light do you set your drag? I set my drag to almost nothing which allows the fish to pick up the bait w/o feeling the tension of the line, and the egg sinker just slides along the line so it's not really a factor either. I've found that I catch more fish w/ a very light drag than I do w/ a tighter drag. I let 'em pick up and run a second or so, then BLAM and they're mine. :) Of course, I'm not going for trophy fish. I like to aim for the ones up to 5-6 lbs. and most of mine are in the 3-4 range.

8. Catfunk

Catfunk New Member

State:
    OK
    Thanx for all of the input so far guys! I don't actually fish lakes or rivers, mostly ponds that may be considered a small lake. I am strictly a bank person due to the lack of a boat..haha..yeah. Two of the three holes I frequent are "no night fishing" spots so I can't really move a whole lot. Have to stay in a spot where the police will not find me and make me leave. I have caught some decent fish in these spots, just few and far between. I would like to river fish this year but I am having trouble finding a good river or a spot at a good river to fish.

Anyhow, when I rig up w/ the hook on the bottom of the line like that, how much weight do I need to be using above it for still waters? I always keep my line super tight, so tight it slightly bends the end of the rod so I can tell when something is jacking w/ my bait. Could this be the problem? They feel the resistance? I almost always use a 1-2 oz. sinker to keep it to where the line will stay tight......hmmm. When setting the drag to almost nothing like mentioned above how do you know when the fish are toying with your bait? Interesting! Tell me more!

9. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Your problem ain't the rig. Its the fact that you are fishin where ya ain't supposed to so the gods aren't gonna treat ya favorably.

What kind of reel are ya usein? If its conventional use the carolina rig described and fish free spool with the clicker on.

10. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    the rig you posted is called a river rig where i come from . we use a rig like that in moveing water . its ok for big hard biteing fish . im with george i think you should give a carolina rig a try " if you dont have to muc moss in your ponds". if your pond has moss on the bottom you might want to try a cork wwith a ssplit shot aabout 8 inches above your hook. you could also try a slip cork if getting deep is your goal. hope this helps.

11. Catfunk

Catfunk New Member

State:
    OK

Nah, it's not like I'm on someones land. It's actually a public park and you are not allowed to be in public parks after dark. Just thought I would clarify that.

Yes, moss is a definite problem. I will try these methods along w/ some of Danny King's PB and see what happens!

12. gebs

gebs New Member

State:
    Illinois
    The rig I use is for rivers. I don't think it would work real well in ponds. In a pond I use a rig similar to yours where I can keep the bait off the bottom and out of the muck.

As for my drag and weight; I use 1/4 oz. to 1/2 oz. weight and typically use dip baits, livers, or worms. I only put enough weight on the line to help me get the bait out there. Regarding the drag and feeling when something's playing w/ me, I've found that w/ a really light drag the fish tend to commit more. Sure, every once in a while I'll come back w/ no bait, but that's the rarity, not the norm.

13. Langerock

Langerock New Member

State:
    Modesto, CA
    What kind of bait are you using?
    If you're using store bought bait, I ma suggest chicken or beef liver, and some worms.
    Good luck.

14. Langerock

Langerock New Member

State:
    Modesto, CA
    Oh, also try ti find a source for some blood, and throw it in were you are fishing.
    Try a buthcer for the blood, they will usualy give it to you.