whats up with this fillet?

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by Scaley Cat, May 26, 2009.

1. Scaley Cat

Scaley Cat Member

State:
    Missouri
    I cut this fillet off a 9lb flathead I caught a couple days ago on the Meramec River and it looks like swiss cheese? The deep cuts you see are holes that go all the way thru. Only 1 side was this way. Can anyone tell me why? Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. wabah58

wabah58 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I don't have a clue about that fillet. Did you end up eating him? If so taste OK?
    Where at on the meramec, you catchin right now?
    We fished a little at George Winter Saturday, just befor the rain came in, struck out, lot of boats out there too.

3. gdlocal10

gdlocal10 New Member

State:
    kansas
    I showed hey_operator the pic, and she thinks they are worms, microscopic worms , she said if youll look close a the cut portion of the fish, you should be able to see yellow worms, so the fish has been in stagnate water that is probably polluted.you see this alot with Bass, ask some of your bass buddies,if they see the same thing. She said that the meat is still edible but make sure to thourghally cook. we had some cats here last year with some kind of sores, and ask the fish and game about them and they said they were sill edible just to cook well, hope this helps

4. TheMadCatter

TheMadCatter New Member

State:
    missouri
    yeah, worms is it. ive heard of that before. that and parasites on the fish are some of the wierdest things to open your cooler to.

5. Scaley Cat

Scaley Cat Member

State:
    Missouri
    I caught it sunday night under the 44 overpass. I did not eat it yet, dont know if I am either.

6. Scaley Cat

Scaley Cat Member

State:
    Missouri
    I know the worms you are talking about. I dont think thats the case here. Cant find 1 worm in the whole fish. Its like the meat is separating for some reason. Thank for the response.

7. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
  8. Scaley Cat

Scaley Cat Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks Mr.T, I think Ill try to call them tomorrow.

9. Owl

Owl New Member

State:
    Gainesvill
    Just my two cents....two catfish fillets wouldn't be worth the chance(however small) of takin' in any kind of bad juju. :) I'd pass, brother! :)
    Fertilizer for the tomatoes or something maybe!

10. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    I aint eatin nothing that has worms or sores on it, I dont give a damn what the wildlife officer tells me. I would give the meat to him, and he can eat it.

11. moriver

moriver New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Fishing in the gulf Bull Reds get worms and I have seen that damage....Kind of looks like it....Tomato bait or MDC for sure.

12. Scaley Cat

Scaley Cat Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks for the great response guys. Im gonna check with mdc to see what they have to say and post there answer here for all to see. The part that suck is thats the first flathead I ever caught out of the meramec river.:sad2:

13. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I agree, looks like Anchor worms to me. Was the hide not covered in sores too?

14. Scaley Cat

Scaley Cat Member

State:
    Missouri
    No, it wasnt. Looked like a beautiful healthy flathead to me. Here is a pic of it. Cant see the sides though.

Attached Files:

15. Ol Swampy

Ol Swampy New Member

State:
    Festus Mo.
    How long was the fish dead before you cleaned it? I had that happen once when I kept them on ice to clean the next day. I threw them away as I assumed it was from the meat starting to break down.

16. Scaley Cat

Scaley Cat Member

State:
    Missouri
    the fish was placed on heavy ice still very alive is a 5day cooler for 1 day. That may be the problem but that never happened to me before.

17. TheMadCatter

TheMadCatter New Member

State:
    missouri