Whats up with the White River?

Discussion in 'LOCAL INDIANA TALK' started by ScottWiseman, Sep 18, 2006.

1. ScottWiseman

ScottWiseman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis,Indiana
    As many of you know...I love to fish the West Fork of the White River between Waverly and Henderson Ford...however..this year, it seems the fish have all but dissapeared from this stretch. Last year, we had nights of 20-30 flatheads in a night. This year, it seems like 3 or 4 would be a good night. We practice CPR religiously..and never keep anything other than a few channels once in a great while. My buddies think that either:
    A) Hubbards (a p-a-y lake) is buying all the fish from the river at Waverly as the owner has approached us several times telling us he will buy whatever we catch.
    B) Commercial fishermen are taking its toll on this stretch.
    C) It is just a cyclical thing and they will be back eventually.

We did catch the biggest flathead of the year out of this stretch at 36 lbs...but what is going on? Where are they?

I am not sure, but wanted some opinions from other members on this.

2. smoke

smoke New Member

State:
    Indiana
    i am not sure what is going on down on the white river but i fish the wabash river alot and this year has been tough. I have landed to 30# fish but we one catch one or two each nite as to last year we would catch several fish but no big one so it may just be one of those years....good luck and keep you line in the water...

3. diver268

diver268 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I know the feeling. I have been having a pretty tough year on White River and on Eagle Creek both. I had 1 great day wade fishing Eagle Creek this year hitting the pockets on the creek. Othe than that it has been a real tough bite all around. Maybe with the weather changing we will get lucky and have a great fall bite. One can only hope though.....

4. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Scott i live in Mooresville, and i havent seen Scott ( Hubbard's ) buying many fish.... I myself havent had much luck around henderson ford area.. Waverly i have landed some 10+ blues cause of the shallow sandy bottoms but this time of year you want to hit the dams.. IPL Dam, Chevy Dam, 16th St. Dam, and the large bends that have about a 12ft + bank straight up and down... The fall produces my biggest fish on the White River... The 26th a few of us are going to meet up and do some fishing. Dont know if you have already heard, but should be a good time and good fishing...

5. ScottWiseman

ScottWiseman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis,Indiana
    Thanks Shane...is that Tuesday the 26th you are all meeting up? Where at? I will be there.

6. thenightstalker

thenightstalker New Member

State:
    indiana
    i thought in indiana its illegal to sell ur fish, deer, or what so ever. if it is the pay lake operators buying up all the fish, why does the idnr let them stay open? i think pay lakes are lame anyway. its like hunting inside a fenced in area. NO SPORTSMANSHIP AT ALL

7. sam

sam New Member

State:
    Martinsville IN
    I wouldn't say that the fishing has declined due to commercial fishermen, but i'll admit the river just has never turned on this year for some reason. Even here in Martinsville the bite has been slow, although a few good ones have been caught.
    And yes !! It is illegal for them to sell or buy fish from anglers !

8. thenightstalker

thenightstalker New Member

State:
    indiana
    i have contacted the indiana dnr. they are looking into the sale of fish. i hope that you people that do sell ur fish get busted big time. the laws are made for a reason. please respect the the enviroment. our children should have the same chances of great fishing as we do. you know that it is true...IF WE IGNORE THE ENVIROMENT, IT WILL GO AWAY obey the laws

9. ScottWiseman

ScottWiseman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis,Indiana
    Amen brother!!! I agree 110%

10. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    It's been a tough year up here also on the stretch of river I fish on the northside of Indy. Last year I was constantly getting fish in the 15-25lb range, and on almost every trip; and tons more from 5-15lbs. Flats and channels at that. But this year has been hit or miss. This spring we did quite well on the channels like we do every spring with them, but after that we couldn't find them and usually we still catch them throughout the summer months. As for the flats, from June to September is my best times, and so far I've caught 4 this year, only 2 of them being out of the river, and none over 4lbs. I think it's just a cyclical thing. I've noticed the same thing with smallmouth bass on my favorite smallie creek. There will be a stretch of about 3-4 years where the fishing is just insane, then there will be a year and it will lag quite a bit. But the thing with that creek is that since it's small and quick, it changes quite often and that one year that the fishing lags is usually the year when the bends in the creek change and new holes are formed, so I don't know if the same cycle applies to the bigger rivers.

11. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    My biggest this year from the white river was 15 pounds and i caught it in about 3 feet of water... On a night crawler at that.. caught three that night and all three came on a night crawler... I will find out when and where on the 26th and let you know... Fishgeek is coming into town and was wanting to get some fishing done... And yes it is a tuesday....