What's Up With Night catfishing? Is It Worth My Time???

Discussion in 'LOCAL LOUISIANA TALK' started by da-cajun-angla, Sep 27, 2006.

1. da-cajun-angla

da-cajun-angla New Member

State:
    louisiana
    Me And My Now 6 Yr Old Have No $hit, Fished Atleast 8-1/2 Out Of Ten Months...thats Roughly 260 Fishin' Trips...it's Everyday After Work(where We Finish His Homework So We Can Go...lol). Anyways, I've Been Wantin' To Try Catfishin' At Night Cause Its So Damn Hot During The Day. Lately We've Been Going In Lake Ponchatrain (a Really Big Braquish Lake) In Laplace, And We've Been Tearin' Up The gafftops Or Some People Call Em' Sailfin Cats. On Average Each One Is 5-15lbs, And Their Diet Is Primarily Blue Crabs, So The Meat Is Great. We Caught 7 Gafftop's And One Hardhead Catfish In 2-1/2 Hrs Yesterday. I'm Makin Another Post With The Pics...these Are The Most Beautiful Catfish You've Ever Seen, And Good Eatin'!! Anyways Are There Any Techniques I Should Know About?
    Thanks In Advance,
    Shaun

PS. THERE'S ONE PIC OF A FEW OF THE GAFFTOPS WE CAUGHT ON MY AVATAR...MY FIANCE IS SENDIN' THE OTHER PICS AS I TYPE...GREAT PICS..SO STAY POSTED!

2. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Cool looking fish, I have never caught a gafftop catfish.
    ~ Sounds like you are doing alright..
    * Good job getting the little one out there too!

3. usmc0208

usmc0208 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I have always had the best luck catfishing at night

4. da-cajun-angla

da-cajun-angla New Member

State:
    louisiana
    but what im askin' is...like...do u fish near shore at night...around lights...docks...live bait...deep water...etc...
    shaun

5. Lngbo

Lngbo New Member

State:
    Marion Ark
    I have not fished at night lately, but that is all we used to do. My boat lights have been messed up, but they are fixed now so am gonna get out at least one night. Kinda tired after I get off lately to go out.

We would use worms, cut bait, chicken livers and such. A man told me the other day that beef liver is good Catfish bait, so I am gonna try some of that too.

6. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    Don't gafftops have the poision in their spines? I have heard that my friend's dad has no feeling in part of one finger where he was stabbed by a baby gafftop....