Whats up on the Ohio River?

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by repoman3809, Dec 13, 2008.

1. repoman3809

repoman3809 New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohi
    I took a ride down to the Public Landing in Cincy this morning, to see if it was still open and to get a look at the debris. The landing was still open, but the concrete guides werent visible. I figured it wouldnt be long before the city roped it off. I didnt see any trailers their. Looking at the all the crap rocketing down the river I figured why. Obviously I didnt have confidence in hitting the water alone after seeing that.

So spill the beans guys. Who was out their today? How bad was it? Catch anything worth while and am I crazy hitting the water tomorrow?

2. tackleholic

tackleholic New Member

State:
    New Albany
    I'd tried for a couple of hours friday to fish the Falls from the bank. I didn't catch any fish & neither did some of the other fishermen. 4 people were in boats so I couldn't ask them. I don't think that the current helped in this case.:crazy:

3. skippi2use

skippi2use New Member

State:
    Indiana
    We were out at tanners yesterday thought con would be perfect. Debris was not bad it came in sperts. Having said that we got on the first hole caught 4 fish in about 10 min. 3 blues one channel, then the debris move in after a barge came by and ran us out. Only caught 2 more fish the rest of the day. So current really did not seem to help us yesterday. There was a tour. at leavenworth in. yesterday and the weights down there will let us no how the bite really was. We fished everything from 80feet to 8feet. Also fished different locations in the holes and around the holes. Was the worst trip in about 6 trips pretty dissapointing.

4. IndyCatGuy

IndyCatGuy New Member

State:
    Greensburg, IN
    At that tourney, the average fish was 35.6 lbs and big fish was over 70lbs. I would say they had a pretty kick ass tourney. 9 boats, 21 people.

5. tswebb71

tswebb71 New Member

State:
    So. IL
    I talked to the winners. They had 165+lbs in 4 fish. Said they caught 25-30 fish. I would definitely say they were in the fish.:wink:

6. repoman3809

repoman3809 New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohi
    Thats what I want to hear! Did you happen too ask if it was skips or shad and did they mention any other details?

Man now I wish I would have got out this weekend. I was wussin out do to the debris. Made sense though....River hadnt been up in so long. And with the wind storm earlier in the year and the summer bank liter, I figured the first real water rise would be bad.

Oh well....looks like most of the Ohio Valley will get rain/snow this week, current should stay strong.

7. tswebb71

tswebb71 New Member

State:
    So. IL
    I didn't ask about bait. However, they always use both. I don't what they caught the most fish on though.

8. tackleholic

tackleholic New Member

State:
    New Albany
    I walk out to the Falls again this afternoon. I saw only one fisherman who had no luck catching fish. I did notice that the water seems to up about 8', I THINK! I have photos on my profile under Falls Of The Ohio where I was standing near the low water level & looking almost eye level at the roots which is now submerged or partly.:eek:oooh: