Whats up on the Ohio River?

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by repoman3809, Dec 13, 2008.

1. repoman3809

repoman3809 New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohi
    I took a ride down to the Public Landing in Cincy this morning, to see if it was still open and to get a look at the debris. The landing was still open, but the concrete guides werent visible. I figured it wouldnt be long before the city roped it off. I didnt see any trailers their. Looking at the all the crap rocketing down the river I figured why. Obviously I didnt have confidence in hitting the water alone after seeing that.

So spill the beans guys. Who was out their today? How bad was it? Catch anything worth while? Am I crazy hitting the water tomorrow?

2. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Ain't ever crazy to go cattin! High water, low water... But,,, remember ....SAFETY FIRST!! If it looks bad with debis, it is!!! rollo

3. zmany2k

zmany2k New Member

State:
    APG, MD
    Well man, I'm hitting the hay. I'll check on here in the morning to see if anyone else got on here and said what's what.

It's your boat, and you've got more experience than I do on that particular river. If you think it's bad news, than I say we call it that. If you think it's worthwhile, then I'm all about it too. I'm more than happy to help get the boat in the water and help push trees away (I don't fish for squirrels on purpose). Last time i saw the river was friday night and i was crossing on 75 doing anout 70 mph coming from SC. All I saw was HOME!!! That river and that skyline make me feel good. But it was way too dark for me to notice what was floating on by, and i sure didn't stop for a gander.

I can handle trees. If you think it's worthwhile, then let's hit it. otherwise, let's call it bust. I'm sending you a PM right now.

4. TheRiverRat

TheRiverRat New Member

State:
    Hamilton,Ohio
    Im goin o the ohio tmoro i hope the waters good ..hows it been latley?....RAT

5. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Stay home Rat. Sharpen your hooks or oil your reels, if you are thinking about hittin the Ohio river.
    I hear the conditions will improve, but right now they are this side of dangerous.

6. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Me and Mellon will be upstream of Tanners today, ( much easier to launch there) and being very careful. Have a silver Fisher with walkthrough. if your out and see us, stop by.

Salmonid

7. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Good luck! Let us know how much debris is coming thru.

8. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    I fished alone yesterday..Prolly not the smartest thing i ever done, but Im alive..Anyways, the river was ROLLIN, and the debris was a concern, I think I hit something and knocked my transducer loose. Best thing to do yesterday was try to get out of the current. I ended up getting 3 channels, nothing big, about 6 lbs was the biggest. All came on skipjack..But the river was just comin up too hard. That current was blazin. I put my boat in nuetral, and checked the GPS to see how fast the current would pull me down river, i got a reading of 2.68 if that gives you any idea of how it was moving.

9. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Guys anytime you are on the river in the winter it is dangerous, just be smart about it. now 45 ft and cars floating down river is one thing, but some debris is gonna be expected, that being said, wide open throttle up and down the mighty ohio probably isnt a good idea. The best fish I have caught have been in times like these. Usually all of this kind of debris will stack up outside of feeder creeks and what not, creating a current break that becomes home to bait fish and blue cats. It all goes back to what are your limits post, its up to the angler. That being said, if you are someone who is gonna freak out all day, then what is the point of going if you are not going to enjoy yourself? I have been forced to stay home many times because I couldnt find any takers to go with me. Because I am crazy and stupid...lol:eek:oooh::smile2:.............But if you take a step back and look what is occuring here its a good thing, we have needed the water to come up and clean the bad juju out that we have been dealing with for months. I am willing to bet that even when this water receeds, we will be looking at a different fishery. New holes created and others washed away, the ability to find bait fish again, etc...Hopefully when it comes down it doesn't stay that way for 6 months and put us right back a square one, I for one am looking foward to next weekend. I wont be fishing the same river I was before the water came up. Hopefully this small water level rise was what we needed to get these fish biting like we are acustomed to them doing most winters.:roll_eyes:

10. catcrazed

catcrazed New Member

State:
    ohio
    Well we were on the Ohio Friday and Saturday in Louisville and I for one love it that the river is being cleaned (high water strong current) We had great current in most places we tried, we absolutely had a blast. We caught channels and small blues consistantly both days and when we finally found a spot which was holding good fish we had to leave. To put it in perspective for everyone we had 50 minutes to fish left and in that 50 minutes we had 1 really good fish get off and caught a 23lb blue and a 27lb blue in that 50 minutes. Were not all that familiar with that water so we just don't have a lot of good spots we know of yet but the trip was a blast. Debris doesnt ever seem to be something we worry to much about. If your anchored and a tree is comin your just gonna have to hit the key and move for it. One of our best days fishing was our guided trip and he said the higher and faster the current the better. The river was blown out of its banks at schmidt field area where we launched and we caught 16 blues, biggest only being around 15lbs but we caught fish the whole time we were there. My uncle and I have been waiting on current in the river sense spring and no debris gonna stop us. It may be dangerous but it doesnt bug us. Now last year we did get into some harry stuff when the 6 inch thick ice chuncks were comin down the river as big as a car. We thought we would never make it back to the ramp!!! If the wind werent screamin today we would be out but the one thing we absolutely hate is wind. I absolutely cant stand it when I cant keep a boat still. Makes it dagon near imposible to fish when wind is hittin you in the side plus it blows out our propane heater and we cant have that!!!:smile2:

By the way, there was a duracat tourney going on saturday which we didnt get to watch the weigh in but the winning weight was 167lbs and biggest fish of the day was 70lbs. I love that stretch of river. Bound to be monsters like that in areas of river that are over 100 feet deep at summer pool!!!

11. Still_Waters...

Still_Waters... New Member

State:
    Ohio

For sure... and you should get ahold of me next time you can't find someone crazy enough to hit the water, I'm all for being crazy.:wink:

12. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Me and mellon were out today, drift wasnt bad, river was ripppin!! couldnt hold anywhere except the eddys with a 25 lb anchor, mostly fished along the KY side to stay out of the wind, not a real problem at all with the heavy current, lot sof debris on the sinkers but not much surface stuff. Mellon took the honers today and Ill let him post later tonight, I just sent him the pics. :wink:

Salmonid

13. zmany2k

zmany2k New Member

State:
    APG, MD
    I'm all for it. As long as i've got a vest on they can find the body right?! I've done crazier and much scarier stuff than go fishing in a debris filled river as you might imagine.

Still, safety first. If you're worried about being able to handle the river, then you shouldn't go. In this case, it wasn't my boat, so it wasn't my call. I haven't fished the ohio in over 8 years, and never from a boat. I've got no idea what the mighty ohio is capable of. hat was the captain's call and I respect it totally.

When i get this boat of mine ready for the river, it's GO TIME!!!!