Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts
Solution!
Trade them in for an old yeller dog, then shoot the dog! LOL
Sparky
LOL after 17 yrs i don't think i will be trading her in yet. she is still good for cleaning the fish for me. I tell you I'm Glad she doesn't read any of this.:big_smile_2:. on a serious note i have a rod/rod combo that is still in good working condition I use it a lot its a ocean water setup.
also have a rod combo that use to belong to my Grandfather that is much older that I am its a open face its still used for catching bait.

It would have to be a dull knife. Every knife I pick up while fishing is dull.
If I ask for your knife while we were fishing it would be dull as a butter knife.:big_smile:

I have a old zebco light rod that the clamp broke that holds the 33 real on-so I took some limbline rope I had in the tackle box tied the real back on and kept fishing-thats been years ago.Then the same rod broke about 8inches off the end so I attached a new eyelet and I still use it to catch bait.It's ugly,don't cast far but will catch a mess of perch from the creek.

I would have to say docs stinkbait plastic worms. Catfish swallow those things with ease and i'm out a 1.50. Doesnt seem like much but it added up. Baitfish or liver all i'm gonna use this year

SudDawg seems to be the worst piece of tackle that I drag along with me, I just can't seem to catch anything but bait when he is around!

Stuff I have that I shouldn't

Wire fish basket... lost too many fish
Cheapo nylon stringers
Dull knife(s)
Cracked Bobbers
Rusty Hooks
Old Line
Salmon Eggs
and the list goes on and on

Aaron

TA2D

I have an old rod that my Grandfather gave me for my 10th birthday. I dont know what the name is but its old and worn out. This year it will see its 19th year of action. Every year I tell myself to replace it but I just cant bring myself to get rid of it.

Well, the my worst piece of fishing equipment has recently been retired. It was a rod that I bought at a garage sale in Plano, TX when I was about 13 or 14 years old. I'm 32 years old now. The rod was an aluminum telescopic rod shoved down into an old blowgun, with a spinning reel taped to the blowgun portion. You guys would be amazed at the fish I've reeled in with that thing over the years. When it's fully extended, it's about 8 feet long and I can put any reel on it that I want.... it just takes tape.

My single best day of pond fishing that I"ve ever had (or heard of) I had with that rod. I found a place on a horse ranch where one very large pond was running across a low-water bridge into another pond. The bridge was literally solid minnows from one side to the other when we drove through it, so I hopped out with a net & minnow bucket and filled 'er up. I ended up using just a bare hook with a minnow hooked through the lips and I caught trophy bass (no idea how many lots in the 5-10lb range) and several big ol' channel cats that day. I caught them one after another nearly all day long. It was awesome. I caught the biggest bass that day that I"ve ever personally laid eyes on. My uncle was gonna mount it for me until he found out what it cost, then we quickly decided to fry him.

I would have to say bar none NO ROLL SINKERS ! I hate hate hate them because I fish in alot of current and I have to put twice the weight on to keep it on the bottom than when I use egg sinkers. I have even tried flipping them over. The line seems to wrap over the top of the weight constantly. I carry them but never use them. I plan on melting them down and pouring them into my egg sinker mold.

Its a tie between an Abu 6600D5, the thumb bar sticks or doesn't work half the time and a Shimano Sedona 2500 spinning reel. The bail won't flip sometimes, and the handle won't turn. Its not a matter of the bail not closing, it will sometimes, but one of the handle being hard to turn or not turning at all. If I flip the bail manually, it works right. When you pay good money for equipment, you expect it to work right, especially when its had proper care. Neither of these reels have been worth the money paid.

I've got an Abu 5500 thumb operated reel and the bar started working intermittently as soon as the warranty expired. Sometimes I have to hit it hard with the flat of my hand to get it to work. All my other Abu reels have been great, so what it is with this one I'll never know! It gets used once or twice a year and I always curse it... Mind you, unlike gadzooks, I'm not so sure that I treated it too well!! :)

Hmmm, my worst piece of tackle would have to be an old Plano tacklebox that I just can't bring myself to throw away.. lol Its shelves are broke and the lid is buckled.. I guess I'll have to get a new one. It used to be an old Zebco rhino rod that litterally fell apart so I replaced everything with G.Loomis & St.Croix and have yet to have any problems with them. :roll_eyes:

I inherited this old fishing knife from my grandfather. It is one of those cheap stainless steel jobbies--you know, that you can spend all day trying to sharpen. It has three blades. One, a regular knife blade, the second is the scaler/hook disgorger and the third is a gaff! Now it really is a full-sized gaff hook on a regular knife. I've never seen anything like it since.
Anyway, I found a great use for it. I take it saltwater fishing and I use it to toss skates back. I don't like fooling with the things and there doesn't seem to be a good way to grab one, but now I just hook it under the wing and fling back into the old briny.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.