Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

What's the worst piece of tackle you still use?

3K views 36 replies 35 participants last post by  Muddler 
#1 ·
What's the worst piece of tackle you still use? Mine is a seven-year-old 9 ft Surf King rod with an eye missing and another about to fall off. There is a piece inside that is loose and slides up and down in it when handling/casting. It is complete with a Penn Seaboy 190 reel that has a frozen clicker, never had a guide and creaks and groans when reeling. I still use it and still catch fish. Biggest fish I've caught on it was a 90 lb alligator gar.

#4 ·
That would be my "woven wire floating fish basket"! You know the ones with the gate that folds in to drop your fish in and theres another flap on the bottom to take your fish out. This is my second one. The first one got this little slit in it and these huge perch were getting out and it took 3 trys and 3 fish lost to fix it. The second one I had to tie wrap the bottom cause fish were escaping! You got to watch the top flap too! A while back, I met my buddie Bert at the fishing hole. I asked how many fish he had caught. He replied, "look in the basket". I looked and it was empty. The little clip that holds the spring on the top flap had slipped to the side and the Bass took off. They are ok with about 20 tie wraps, but there is lots of room for improvement!

#5 ·
I have a pole forget who makes it called Big Cat. I got it on sale at Bass pro Outdoor world for 9 dollars. It definite fit the saying, you get what you pay for. The eyes broke within a month. I still use it though,it is my heaviest rod, and we need it for when we drift fish the winter with 10-15 inch carp.

The other is a rod and reel combo my dad bought on sale at bass pro as well. It a standard closed face reel with a light aciton rod. We use it for crappie fishing but after a few months it started having problem when you cast it. It just seems like the line hangs inside the reel on occasions.

#6 ·
laidbck111 said:
the worst piece of tackle I still use is me. If it wasn't for me I would catch everfish that hit and wouldn't get hung up and loose terminal tackle. no joke if it wasn't for me I would be catching fish, lol
You too? The people mechanics keep telling me that I am a wreck.I may not have anything that works right,but some of it is still working.As long as this junker can still move when they mow the grass,I figure I have one more fishing trip in me.I think that many people are the worst piece of tackle that they own.Most of us just never learn it.Ah! It is often wonderful to be ignorant!peewee-williams

#7 ·
i have tackle boxes full of stuff. I mght use the melted plaastic worm tail for bait fish sometime. I too have the fish baskets wired together. I have one a real big snapper tryed to get fish out of, Ididn't think anything could mess a basket up the way that turtle did. I guess it is a trophy hanging on the garage wall next to that turtle shell. Old reels I think I have every reel and rod i have ever owned.I know i have a cable stringer I bought when in high school.

#12 ·
im partial to and still use the same bait bucket ive had for like 20 years. the handle on its now broken but i wired one on. lol
BTW, its made or 100% recycled materials.

#13 ·
I`m with DeltaLover have a old wire basket it`s no telling how many fish I have lost in that thing Ihave started to thow it away to many times it`s still in the bottom of my boat

#14 ·
"woven wire floating fish basket"! A while back, I met my buddie Bert at the fishing hole. I asked how many fish he had caught. He replied, "look in the basket". I looked and it was empty. The little clip that holds the spring on the top flap had slipped to the side and the Bass took off. They are ok with about 20 tie wraps, but there is lots of room for improvement!
:0a27: "Woven Wire Floating Basket"!!!!!!!!!

I was just looking at some older Threads, and I came across this one, and I have to argee with my old Buddy on this one.

I remember that trip! :0a14:

I had a couple of Nice Ba$$ in that Basket to. :hell_boy:

But thank God it was early in the day and I made some repairs on that basket & I had yet to catch the Cats that I did get that day.

Oh well - Sometimes you learn about things the hard way. :0a28:

Take it easy,
Bert:cool2: & Shania:0010:

:worship: :0a23:
Bert & Phil

#15 ·
I have an old smelt net, that is wire. It has been repaired so many times, I can't count, but it still works. Now, if I could just find a place where the smelt would run in this state, I'd use it again.
Since the DNR plant all the Salmon, and trout, they have just disappeared.
Sparky

#16 ·
I have an old Lew_Fuji speed stick, I bought 29 years ago. I wore the handle out and replaced it with a good cork handel. I don't use it much any more. I crappie fish with it ever once in a while.

#17 ·
a plastic zebco "Stingray" spinning reel, yes its plastic, on a zebco med action rod that it came with. i didnt have a pole to go fishing for anything but cats with so i bought it for 15 bucks at walmart awhile back:tounge_out: still got that crappy stock 10 pound line on it to. when i cast it out when bobber fishing the line has so many spirals in it theres no way to tell if your got a bite going by the rod tip so its a day time only thing. ive used it for bluegills to bass and ive cought fish with it and its light to carry a long way so its not so bad for being made out of plastic.

#19 ·
i have to say it is my wife LOL... I have lost more fish with her than anyone else.. then there is my son this boy has cost me over $600 in fishing gear we were fishing at one of my spots at Fort Benning getting ready to leave took him to load the rods in the back of the truck he loaded the tackle boxes and that was it he got in the truck and i was coming up from the hole and i jumped in didn't check behind him got home to unload the fish and rods to my suprize there was no rods $600 worth of rod and reels I have been hot about this for 4 yrs nowand get mad when i think about it. now the wife has broken the tips off my bass rods

#20 ·
i have to say it is my wife LOL... I have lost more fish with her than anyone else.. then there is my son this boy has cost me over $600 in fishing gear we were fishing at one of my spots at Fort Benning getting ready to leave took him to load the rods in the back of the truck he loaded the tackle boxes and that was it he got in the truck and i was coming up from the hole and i jumped in didn't check behind him got home to unload the fish and rods to my suprize there was no rods $600 worth of rod and reels I have been hot about this for 4 yrs nowand get mad when i think about it. now the wife has broken the tips off my bass rods
Solution!
Trade them in for an old yeller dog, then shoot the dog! LOL
Sparky

#21 ·
Solution!
Trade them in for an old yeller dog, then shoot the dog! LOL
Sparky
LOL after 17 yrs i don't think i will be trading her in yet. she is still good for cleaning the fish for me. I tell you I'm Glad she doesn't read any of this.:big_smile_2:. on a serious note i have a rod/rod combo that is still in good working condition I use it a lot its a ocean water setup.
also have a rod combo that use to belong to my Grandfather that is much older that I am its a open face its still used for catching bait.

#24 ·
It would have to be a dull knife. Every knife I pick up while fishing is dull.
If I ask for your knife while we were fishing it would be dull as a butter knife.:big_smile:

#26 ·
I have a old zebco light rod that the clamp broke that holds the 33 real on-so I took some limbline rope I had in the tackle box tied the real back on and kept fishing-thats been years ago.Then the same rod broke about 8inches off the end so I attached a new eyelet and I still use it to catch bait.It's ugly,don't cast far but will catch a mess of perch from the creek.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.