Whats the verdict?

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by ec43146, Dec 30, 2008.

1. ec43146

ec43146 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I used to think I was a fisherman till joining the BOC. I caught a lot of nice catfish over the 20 lb mark, but think I was just a man fishing. Seeing the accomplishments of some I don't think I;ve reached that level yet, but my goal is to put in the time and try to do better. Where do you rank?

2. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    I wouldnt make the top 100 LOL

3. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Well I'm hoping to break the 30# mark this year. I wouldn't make the top 100 or 200 for that matter, but I know they don't enjoy fishing a bit better than I do.

4. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Helk I probably wouldn't even make the top 1000 as far as catfishing knowledge or accomplisments. But that's what is good about this site Ed, everyone has some knowledge and experiences they have had that are useful and interesting to the whole group in some way or another. No one knows it all!! :wink:

5. ec43146

ec43146 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I enjoy catfishing as much as anybody and I'm going to enjoy my learning process. I would like to be a little more consistant but I enjoy just being at the fishing hole. I would not even rank myself at all. :confused2: Tight lines everyone!

6. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    The way I look at it is that just because you catch a big fish dont make you a better fisherman or better than the next guy. I believe that I want it just as much as the best fisherman out there! Ive know great knowledgable catmen that was content on sitting on the bank and catching dink channels. Fishing can be luck at times! I guarantee some of the state records that were caught on zebco 33s wernt even fishing for them hawgs but caught them by chance. Knowledge, willingness to learn and to teach others is what makes you good in my Opinion!

7. ec43146

ec43146 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Kip, you hit the nail on the head, just enjoy the time on the water, who knows what the next bite will bring.

8. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Humbly Present.

9. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Ed,
    It's not about whether you've caught a 20, a 30, 40 or 50 that determines if you are a good fisherman or not. There is so much more to it.
    Integrity, respecting the fish, good stewardship of the water and the shoreline. Sharing knowledge, helping out the youngsters or anyone for that matter. The list goes on and on
    If any of the above applies to you then you are way ahead of some as far as I'm concerned...W

10. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I dont rank for crap! But I sure to try!:eek:oooh::smile2::smile2:

11. centexcop

centexcop Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    Although I don't rank up there with the Catfisher Gods :eek:oooh:, in my mind I am one of the best. I always go prepared to catch the 100 lb fish. If I don't, so be it. I have a blast fishing for the big ones. When I go home and fry up those smaller fish, my wife says "man you're good".

12. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    to be honest,we all rank the same.only difference between us all is the time we have to put into it,and also having some good spots helps also.

13. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    the only rank i got after sittin and fishin is my pants. and proud of it. :big_smile::cool2:

14. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    we have a fishin club, it consists of about 20 fishers that fish a good bit, most of the time catfish is the target, its a hell of alot of fun ,i have learned alot from them guys, their great, but i will tell ya that if you were to get in a club or fished tourneys,or just went and watched the weigh ins you would learn a great deal more and is fun also...the BOC is a great place to start,good luck

15. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    i second that i know i wish i had more time to fish

16. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I just look at it as a reason to keep on fishing.

17. catcrazed

catcrazed New Member

State:
    ohio
    There is no doubt about it, I havent evan scratched the surface or evan near the lever of fisherman that hopefully I will be someday. In the past 6 fishing trips 5 of those trips we caught fish over 20lbs and in 1 of those trips we didnt catch Jack! Thats what Im talking about. Im not a big believer in "hey a cold front came through" or "hey the moonphase wasnt just right" or any other excuse. That 1 trip drives me nuts because you know that someone somewhere knows exactly how he or she could go out and catch fish that day. Not talkin 5 pound channels either, Im talkin big fish. Although on the days when my poles aint movin Id love to catch 5 pounders but thats not my goal. Perfect example, I know that this past summer was an awful awful awful year for my uncle and I. I mean we had lots and lots of days where we didnt evan see a rod tip move. Here is the thing, I asked one of the people on here that I really look up to on the BOC if he had been catchin anything. He had been burnin them up!! Winnin tournaments and catching big fish consistantly. I happen to be talkin about akwalung. Someday I hope to hear people wining saying They cant buy a fish and I am totally burninum up just like he was this summer. Then I will consider myself a good fisherman because then I can honestly say I have them figured out and as of now I don't.

18. ec43146

ec43146 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Exactly what I was saying, always room for improvement, just have fun doing it

19. cathog

cathog New Member

State:
    Lone Oak Texas
    I don't think there is such a thing as figuring them out. Sometimes what you do works, sometimes it doesn't. The fish are the smart ones out there, and I am just happy to be on the water to be schooled.

20. catcrazed

catcrazed New Member

State:
    ohio
    Ill give you an example of figuring them out. Last year we were having no luck for catching blues in the summer months. We had little to no current with the draught we had. I just decided one day doggonit were gonna try something we have never tried before because what were doing just aint cuttin it. I went to basspro, bought strong 3 way rigs and had it in my mind im gonna try drift fishing for the first time. From that point on we flat out slayed them until fall came and we got current back. Then we went back to tightline because the drifting was no longer working. Tightline worked great after we got current back. If we wouldnt have drift fished for blues last year we wouldnt have caught 90% of what we did for the 2007 year. Thats what i figured out and man did it make me feel good to know that I did. I know what your sayin though, sometimes it seems like no matter what you try it just don't seem to work. Heres what I think about that. On the days when you think "ah the fish just werent biting today". That in my mind is bull. you may have found fish that day with your electronics and they didnt bite but somewhere in that area, I guarentee there will be actively feeding fish. Another example, the hilljack brothers went out fishing this past Saturday and we did to. We didnt catch jack!! It drove me crazy because in my mind I know somewhere somehow we could have caughtem. Well, The hilljack brothers caught plenty of fish that day. Why??? Because they tried something that we didnt. They were fishing super shallow that day and I had my mind set on deep water all day. They taught me something that day. Rippin current may mean getting out of the current a bit. They were practically fishing in the trees. I believe that there are people out there good enough to go out and catch fish just about every day if they understand what fish do year round and hopefully I will understand one day cause as of now, I don't thats for sure.