Whats the verdict on Sabiki rigs?

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by Catfish_Rob, Nov 17, 2009.

1. Catfish_Rob

Catfish_Rob New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, OHIO
    I am sure this topic has been covered. During my fews trips to the Ohio river...down by the serpentine wall and public landing, I have seen people fishing with sabiki rigs to catch skipjack. I was wondering if anyone on here uses them for live bait. Do you think I should invest in one? Let me know what the verdict is.

Catfish_Rob

2. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    They are illegal in Ohio's waters (including the Ohio Shoreline) Ohio allows up to 3 hooks per line, ( sabiki's typically have 5-7 per line)
    With Ky License and in a boat you could get away with it in most cases.
    I typically do bettter for bigger skippies with a tandem Jig rig vs the sabikis which i think works better for the tiny 6-8" guys.

Salmonid

3. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    it is always good to have a couple

4. Catfish_Rob

Catfish_Rob New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, OHIO
    I knew the 3 hook law....I didn't want to say anything to those guys. Possibly why they were fishing at night and doing it quickly.

5. catcrazed

catcrazed New Member

State:
    ohio
    We were checked down at the aberdeen hotwater discharge a few times and warden never said anything about the sibikkis. Thats what everybody there was using. Actually I was also checked on the ohio side of the dam last year. They never said a word. To be honest, if they saw you using more than three hooks for stripers or something they would have some beef bout it but I just think they brush it off when they know your just catching bait. It should be the other way around because I can catch wipers and white bass a lot more than skippies. Those lil dudes are harder to catch and harder to find than any other fish in the river and that is my honest opinion.

6. oldheavyd

oldheavyd New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Is ohios law anything like ohios??? The Sabiki has too many hooks on it to catch sport fish. But can legally be used in Indiana to catch bait. Just if you catch like a white bass or sauger on it, it has to go back to the water no matter what the size is. You might want to check with your local dnr and see if thats the case with your sabiki rule???? And yes I would get and keep a few. The smaller skips are found up this way a lot. Now for big ones i like white hair jigs :big_smile:

7. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    about 2 years ago some of my fly fishing buddies were checked at Aberdeen and he ( CO) was specifically looking at how many hooks they had on the line. Good thing they were throwing the long rods, about 2 hooks is about all you can safely throw with the fly rod without getting alot of tangles.
    Must depend on there mood and it IS the law so just keep that in mind.

Salmonid

8. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    regardless of the law, a 3 hook sabiki rig will work also. i have caught them on one down at the Green up L/D on the ohio side, and so have a few of the guys that taught me. the thing is with a 6+ hook rig you have the ability to catch up to 6 fish at the same time. just reduce the amount of hooks to meet the laws requirements. as for the rigs, they work very well. i rig my own more often than not, and sometimes i will use small curly tail jigs instead of regular jigs.

9. catcrazed

catcrazed New Member

State:
    ohio
    hmmmmm. yeah it is the law. Aint it funny how bass pro shops and all these places can sell them in ohio though. along with illegal sized throw nets. Never made much since to me. That is definetly something that we have been asked is to see our throw net. Just glad we had the legal one that day.:embarassed:

10. catcrazed

catcrazed New Member

State:
    ohio
    heard dat, I rig my own now to and the less hooks and shorter the rig the easier they are to cast to.

11. Shimano_cat

Shimano_cat New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Not meaning to butt in on the Ohio thread, but we use them for the Herring run on the Chickahominy River in Va. and they are bait catching fools. We can use all the hooks you want there and no need to cast, we just jig them straight down from the boat.

12. catcrazed

catcrazed New Member

State:
    ohio
    Thats the thing, I think that there should be acceptions for rigs that are just for catching bait fish such as skippies. They are forage fish (bait) and I don't see where it hurts anything. Specially here in Ohio. Crap its hard enough to find the lil bugers in the Ohio river trust me.

13. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Just don't get caught!:wink:

14. Catfish_Rob

Catfish_Rob New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, OHIO
    I went to bass pro shop today and got a few sabiki rigs...I am going to try them out down on the ohio by the public landing this weekend. I still have to find a good shore fishing spot down there somewhere haha - you know just in case I end up catching some skipjack.

15. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Let us know how you do! :cool2:

16. Steph

Steph New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohi

haha i didn't know they were illegal here!!! :smile2: oops.. no one said nothing to me when i was using one.. and it was more than 3.. oh well hehe... guess i won't do that again! haha

17. Catfish_Rob

Catfish_Rob New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, OHIO
    I must have been doing something wrong. I had a few shad bite at the small green sabiki but no skipjack. I am not sure what the best way to use it, I would cast and real it in slow, then fast, and even tried to jig it. I also went during the day between 12 and 4, which I am not sure is the best time. Do you think I should try later in the day? Plus the damn phish concert was down there. Those people were annoying. I have never been called 'bro' so many times in my life. Watching these asses brush their teeth with acid then start swimming in the river, I ended up just leaving and fishing in the little miami. No luck. Anway I will be out there again. I will let you guys know if I ever figure out how to use the rig.

18. CBH

CBH New Member

State:
    WV
    I have more success fishing them deeper in the fall. In the late spring and through summer, I fish them high and at a medium to fast retrieve. I also make my own by tying 1/16th ounce jigs with white curly tail grubs from WalMart. I usually only tie 3 or 4 jigs on a main line, then tie a swivel on one end and a snap swivel on the other end. With the snap swivel on the tail end, I can easily change the bell sinker to the amount of weight that I want to throw. Sometimes I don't use a bell sinker, and I'll snap on a Roostertail or a little Mepps spinner.

19. Scott C.

Scott C. Member

State:
    NKY
    the hippies in the river scared them away...:smile2:

keep at it man - you weren't doing anything wrong. Jacks are finicky and I've never known them to hang around that area with any consistency. I usually have better luck with a fast erratic retrieve.