Whats the story on the world record...

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by STUMPKNOCKER, May 20, 2007.

1. STUMPKNOCKER

STUMPKNOCKER New Member

State:
    Georgia
    14# test , is it true he was fishing for crappie with a minnow?
    or was he targeting flatheads?

2. slipbobber

slipbobber New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    3 sides to it. his story, everyone elses story, and then theres the truth

3. FordTruckGuySTX

FordTruckGuySTX New Member

State:
    Caryville, TN
    did it happen...maybe...do i think it reasonably possible? heck no. I've had 50lb line broken off before by who knows what. and this is in pretty much mud/sand bottom, no rocks or structure to snag on. i just don't believe it.

4. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Personally, I don't have so much of a problem with the line (I've caught 50 plus pound flatheads on 15 pound test - long ways from 120, but still...). What bothers me is the hook. Didn't I read somewhere that he got it on a light wire crappie hook or a crappie jig?

I wasn't there, so I won't say anything bad, but it does all seem odd. Also seems real strange that there wasn't more of the story out. It all was kept pretty quiet.

5. Cuda-Cada

Cuda-Cada Member

State:
    Jacksonville, Fl.
    I remember going to fish the Kansas river in 2000 and was asking some of the locals about the new record. Most didn't believe that it happened like it said but they didn't really have any proof otherwise. There was one true account from a guy who has personal dealings with In-Fisherman and they said that this guy said he would give In-Fisherman an exclusive but they needed to pay him some big money. Of course In-Fisherman declined.
    To me though, the most damaging evidence is this guy's owns words. He said that "the wind pushed the fish, I pulled and the wind pushed the fish away from the rocks. I couldn't have done it without the wind." Now, I don't know about you but a 120 pound flathead don't give a crap about the wind unless it is a class 5 hurricane. I have heard rumors from everything to this fish was trapped in a small amount of water due to a fast drawdown of the reservoir to the fish was on its last leg and the guy just happened to be in the right spot to put that hook in front of it's mouth and catch it. Who knows? I sure would like to think an important record like this is legit though.
    But like they say in the tootsie roll pop commercial- "The world may never know".

6. GETHOOKED

GETHOOKED New Member

State:
    Arizona, Scott
    and the drama thickens---any photos of this mysterious fish?

7. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Here is the pic, hope this helps.

Attached Files:

8. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    in early winter here, a guy caught a 39 pound flattie on a minnow and a crappie jig. he was using 10 pound line, fishing for walleye. it was foul hooked, weighed and released. i'll bet it was dormant, or hibernating, or whatever flatties do in the winter.
    i have never caught a cold water flathead, and i don't think the record was caught out of cold water either. i don't want to call the guy a liar, but i have had a 20 pound flathead pull some serious drag off some stout reels. throw another 100 pounds on top of that, man i couldn't say what the fight would be like. as for "the wind pushing the fish", he can kiss my b@$$ on that one... it ain't happenin! i guess if he caught it, good job. if he's lying, he can jump in that lake and let the wind push him around!

9. Pylodictis Olivaris

Pylodictis Olivaris New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Where can I read the story of this or get other information on it? What did they do with the fish after it was caught? Does anyone have any links to go to?

10. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Well, somehow or other, he did catch it.

All I keep thinking is 120 pounds, holy sh%&!!!!!

I've been lucky enough to get a couple of 50 pound class flatheads. I saw a fish in the high 60's once. 120?! That's a kind of a scary fish. One I'd like to meet, but still - scary.

(Here's something to think about - that's almost 3 times the size of the fish in my avatar. And almost twice the size of Stumpknocker's fish!)

11. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Something sounds fishy about it. And to see a fisherman trying to charge $$$ for the story makes me question his character. But as I always say, until proven otherwise, I'll take him at his word.

I wonder if he'll now produce a video on how to catch monster Flatheads on light tackle? Only $20 folks! Learn from the World Record Holder!:roll_eyes:

12. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    Man if I caught that thing legit I wouldn't be able to contain myself from telling everyone I could find that I caught a 120 flathead. If he wants money he could probably get quite a bit from the company whose pole/reel/line/hook/sinker/baitshop he bought stuff from/truck he carried it in/beer he was drinking when he caught it etc etc.

13. KanHeadhunter

KanHeadhunter New Member

State:
    S. E. K.
    This fish was caught about 35 miles from where I live, I have fished the Elk Lake also and have seen the area where the fish was caught. I have friends that live in Independence, KS and this what they have told me a few years ago.

There are quite a few rumors in this fish tell so this may add another story??

The guy was fish for carppie(true) along some rip-rap on the dam with a bend in it(true). The outlet is about 30-50 yards from here, I don't know if they were pulling water off the lake your not.

Here is what I was told: They spotted the fish in swallow water along the rip-rap, they wanded out as far as they could to see it. 1 of they casted out towards the fish and at struggled/move when the bobber came by. Some how during the moving of the fish the hook got stuck in the fishes month. He didn't SNAG it but when the big fish moved the hook caught it in the mouth?? He reeled in as much as he could and then they went in after it. They carried it in the last few yards. The fish had a 10-12 lb. carp in it's mouth that had been there.(don't know how long) The rest is history.

Other rumors that I have heard........The fish was almost dead when they caught it because of the carp stuck in it's mouth? 4 guys carried it in?? Other people saw the fish in disstress a few days before it was caught?? At first the guy that caught it thought it was a log floating in the water before they figured it out??

I repeat this is a story I was told from guys from Independence "not me" telling tells!!!

14. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    All the stories of the fish being on it's last leg....so I take it that it didn't survive?

15. TomV

TomV New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Missouri
  16. McDreamy

McDreamy New Member

State:
    nc
    i have caught a 40 lb carp on 8 lb line before but i wore my ass out chase the fish down i had to stay right with him but u have to think some people use 50lb line to catch 600lb marlin so i could beliee it as long as he dont put to much pressure on it the hook will be ok and as long as u dont pull to hard and have ur drag set right.

17. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Lets just for arguments sake say he managed to snagg it in the mouth with his crappie jig. Let alone how many times he casted to it and tried to snag it. If it had been floating there fo days dying because of the carp stuck in its craw, it wasn't feeding or even behaving like a healthy flathead. And for wind to move it toward him it wasn't swimming away cause one sweep of the tail would have broken his line. So yes the fish was near death allready, wasn't feeding or healthy, so the guy spent an hour trying to snag it and succeeded. Then pulled it close enough to wade in after it. I don't know how many flatheads some of you have been around but I have trouble getting a hand in their mouth while holding them solid on a hook and line. So if this guy or guys can wade right up to it and grab ahold the fish wasn't right. Maybe it was hooked but it wasn't "caught". The thing was almost dead or he wouldn't have even seen it to cast at it. He gets to claim a world record by the letter of the law but he didn't really catch it.

18. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    I hooked into a fish a couple weeks ago that I had for almost two hours. A once in a life time fish. On a pound carp with 50# pro power line with a 10/0 king kale hook palomar knot and a big water ugly stick combo and still didnt get it in and I did every thing I could. Drag was just right this fish which I almost guarantee was a flatty was still ripping 50 yards after an hour with my buddy chasing it with a trolling motor. It ended up getting rapped up into a submerged trotline or something because when I finally got him wore out he would only come up so far in 40 feet of water. I dont know about you but, I pull in 40-45 pound flats in about 10-15 minutes just imagine the size of the cat I had hooked. It was no gar either i could tell by the way he was fighting he was a cat for sure.

19. Pylodictis Olivaris

Pylodictis Olivaris New Member

State:
    Iowa
    For me I have a tough time accepting the fact that this catch is "true" and "fair". Records are broken by people who are out to set records and go after the big ones. I do understand that people do stumble across a rare big fish every now and then but what kind of sportsmen would accept the title of a world record holder on such a controversial "catch". To be honest with you, if I was in his shoes I would do everything in my power to try to catch that fish just to get a closer look and to see what the heck it is all about, but I would not turn around and take credit for it as a "fair catch" let alone a world record. There is nothing wrong with trying to catch the fish regardless of its conditions but to make it sound like you went out and honestly fought a healthy 120 flathead on crappie tackle and won the battle....come on. Until proven otherwise I do not believe a word of it.

20. TONTO

TONTO New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    I have caught cold water flatties up to 40 lbs on 1 oz. walleye jigs in the Carlyle lake tail race. The hook size on the jigs are not overly big but definately bigger than a crappie hook. We use light line 10 to 15 lb test, with drags set light. It takes 10 to 15 minutes to get in a 40 lb. following with a trollling motor. Most of the time we never see the fish that hit they straighten hooks, break line if you try to horse them. I believe a 120 would spool me everytime and just keep going.