What's the secret in getting fish off circle hooks?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by porboy, Apr 1, 2007.

1. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    I noticed that another member was having trouble getting fish off circle hooks. I got a few on them last year and liked to never got them off. Went to all circle hooks this year and this TX Redneck Dummie needs to know how
    to do it without having a heart attack and/or a fit.
    Thanks
    Bill

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Ain't no big technique to learn. Just like any other hook back it out the same way it went in. Give yourself slack on the line cause ya don't wanna battle any tension. Get a good grip on it with one of your fingers in the curved part and just kinda roll it on back and they come rite out. Hope I described that rite. LOL!

3. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    They are a bear to get off sometimes. I now just instintivly grab a pair of long needle nose pliers and it makes it much easier. And like BG said give it some slack.

4. Dnedster

Dnedster New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    I use a pliers and twist in a circle like it went in I know they can be a bear to get out but you got to love them

5. EricM

EricM Active Member

State:
    Harrison TN
    Name:
    Eric Maurer
    Two things. First, think about "unscrewing" the hook from the fish in a very tight circle with a long-nose pliars. Until I thought of it this way I never backed it out in a small enough circle to disengage the barb. The other thing is that you can mash the barb down for most purposes. The design if the circle hook pretty much makes the barb redundant since it has to back out in a circular path, not just slip loose like a standard style hook.

6. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I use my thumb and put pressure on the inside of the curve until it pops out.

7. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    I'm with some of the others. I use a pair of pliers.
    Sparky

8. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    If you put the side of your first finger on top of the eye and your thumb on the center of the curve and then turn it like opening a bottle it will roll out most of the time on larger hooks. The smaller hooks are a little more difficult to remove.

9. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    If I'm keepin the fish and the hook is bein hard headed, I take my knife, make a small slit where the hook comes through, and the hook comes out fine. Most of the time, if you just go easy on the hook it comes out fine.

10. jigerjim

jigerjim Member

State:
    North East Pa.
    I found you really dont need the barb, just this year I started to pinch the barb down. I dont think I lost one yet that way, but you still need the long nose plyers but there much easyer to get out for me and the fish.

11. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Thats the technique right there or ya ya just chop the head off and through that out as bait and continue the process LOL

12. KatKaller

KatKaller New Member

State:
    Alabama
    :tounge_out: :tounge_out: :tounge_out: PLIERS