Whats the Salt River look like right now?

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by kevins, Apr 10, 2009.

1. kevins

kevins New Member

State:
    Louisville, KY
    I'm going out tomorrow to fish and think I will come to my old stomping grounds. How does the Salt river look at West Point? I would be bank fishing.

Thanks!

:wink:

2. Salty1

Salty1 New Member

State:
    Mt. Washington, Ky.

3. John Jennings

John Jennings New Member

State:
    kentucky
    fished it briefly yesterday before the rain, and it was garbage. It's still stained pretty good and what is left of the log jam is creating a pretty messed up current in conjunction to the one that is normaly there. You are better off in the big "O" though I don't think that will help much either.

4. John Jennings

John Jennings New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Easter Sunday was an absolute crappy day on the Salt. The river was really pushing down here at west point and with water moving that fast all the garbage came with it! I was averaging about 55 degrees for the water temp but it was muddy as hell! The wind was pushing fairly hard out the East at about 18 mph. Plenty of fish on the sonar and most seemed to be hovering at about the 15-20 ft range in about 38 ft of water and everything looks like it is schooled up. We need to fight through the pains of spring time rains and the constant ups and downs of the rivers, hang in there as you know good fishing is right around the corner!!

5. jogle1023

jogle1023 New Member

State:
    Shepherdsville
    Man I am dying here. I wish the river would get back down so we can fish it again. Hopefully the rain will die down and we can get out there.

6. John Jennings

John Jennings New Member

State:
    kentucky
    A buddy of mine went out to Fort Dufield to take a look at the river and see if the boat ramp was accessible. He said the water had gone down some and that the current had slowed. He also said that it looked as if the big logs, trees and sticks had cleared out. I didn't see it myself so I can't help you with water clarity. I do know that last sunday the salt river temp was between 56 and 57 degree's with a lot of fish moving around west point. Unfortunately it's called a fish finder and not a fish catcher!lol

7. kevins

kevins New Member

State:
    Louisville, KY
    I have fished the last 2 days down where the pipe lines cross by the boat ramp. The river has gone down about 2-3 feet over the last 2 days and the current is a lot slower than it was.

I have only gotten a few bites over the last 2 days there using nightcrawlers. I also tried using shrimp, herring, cut shad and chicken livers but no luck.

Right now I am trying to decide where to go this morning. Do you think the fishing would be better on the ohio below the park in west point or is there a good place to try from the bank on the salt?

8. John Jennings

John Jennings New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I have marked a lot of fish down by the train bridge"log jam"! If you can get down that way there is a high concentration of minnows, skip jacks and white bass running in the current. I have marked some big fish in the 22-23ft range and with that much bait swimming through I think the fish can be picky right now.

9. kycatter

kycatter New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I fished it last night from the boat ramp... i was out there from about midnight till 2am and didnt get a single bite. tried cut shad and shiners on the bottom. there were a couple fellas out there fishing before me and they had caught 3 or 4 flatheads. current didnt seem too bad. was using a 2oz bank sinker and i stayed on the bottom pretty well.

10. Fingerlakes Fisher

Fingerlakes Fisher New Member

State:
    New York
    Anybody have any reports as of recently? If the water is good I may try to get out this week. Anyhone been there recently?

11. river1214rat

river1214rat New Member

State:
    West Point, KY
    The Ohio and Salt River are running fast, muddy and out of their banks. I fished from from midway up my neighbor's ramp today, he caught a 2 lb white bass and I was able to hang into a 5-6 lb drum. We were fishing where there is a slack in the current. The river is at 45 ft and expected to go to 48.3 ft on Monday. I would wait to fish either the Salt or the Ohio until they settle down. Huge logs and trees coming downstream. With the water up the way it is, she is cleaning out debris from the ice storm ...
    PLEASE let the river settle back down...:tounge_out: