whats the rut doing in your area?

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by catfishrus, Nov 19, 2007.

1. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    just wondering what the rut is doing in other places. i have noticed in past years when the full moon doesnt land close to the 15th of nov. in my home state the rut seems to be long and drawn out so to speak. just wondering if any of you have noticed this as well. my sighting of deer this year the rut shows signs of on and off from day to day. i still see chasing going on but not a full speed ahead mode. also in my state you can hunt with dogs and in the past years i noticed the dog hunting can be great on these years due to the bucks just roaming so much and being easy to get after with the dogs. this year i been seeing the same 6-7 does all season every day with hopes of a big boy showing up. without a strong peak rut i think the possiblity could last all season for chasing activity. are you guys seeing the same thing or do you think the bucks are just rutting mostly at night since we havnet had good cold weather here. so whats the rut look like in your area?

2. jeffw51

jeffw51 New Member

State:
    mo
    i dont think it is physically possible for rutting activity to be only at night,the urge is just to strong.i am seeing more rut activity right now than i did a week ago and in my mind thats later than usual.so maybe it will last into december or later?

3. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    the ruts just getting started here. I dont deer hunt, except with bow, but been noticing alot of bigger buck moving around between here and abilene

4. Blue Duck

Blue Duck New Member

State:
    Idaho
    Its hitting full stride here right now. Seems like its maybe a week later then some years.

5. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    Its going on now here but its archery doe only in my area so I gotta leave the boys alone until next week.

6. Cathooker

Cathooker New Member

State:
    Ga
    We are in pre rut here but traditionally for my area the weeks between Thanksgiving and mid December is when the big boys are doing there thing.

7. wylie catter

wylie catter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I think it's in full swing here. Me and my freinds saw more deer this past weekend than we have the whole season put together.

8. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I think its in full swing here. A buddy shot a little 5 pointer with a huge neck. The next day I heard my first buck fight about an hour before light. Thought it might have been a hunter but there was snorting and wheezing.

9. tufffish

tufffish New Member

State:
    Texas
    out near sonora, tx some bucks are starting to make scrapes and are getting black hocks. then again there are some that are only interested in eating and are showing no sign of being interested in the does. it is really dry out here right now. a rain would help a lot.

10. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I'm not seeing much going on here. I sat in the stand all day Saturday and every deer I saw was by itself. No big bucks running around, no chasing, no nervous deer, nothing. There have been scrapes around for a month. The only deer I have been able to rattle in were a spike and a doe. I've been using Tinks 69 and calling with no results. I've jumped two big bucks but they were alone, too.

11. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    thanks to all for the replies and keep them coming. i heard some good news for my area this evening from a fellow hunter i know. he has out 12 cameras and he reported that around my area in the last week he started getting pictures of new bucks in his area and they where for the most part all loners. usually things are in full speed ahead here but i really think this has to do with the moon and also the weather for my area. this weeks forecast high temps are in the low 70 and nighttime lows around 50 which is what i think is leading to the nighttime movement so much. i dont dog hunt anymore myself but my dad does and the club hes hunting with has really been knocking down the bucks. they got 7 saturday and 11 the saturday before which tells me these bucks are roaming at night and putting down a good scent trail for the dogs in the mornings. he also reported that none of them smelled of the rut yet or had black tarsal glands. he did report swollen necks on some. i know most dont care for running dogs and thats not what this post is about but im just using it as a example. i agree with jeffs post about the urge being too strong for just nighttime activity too but with the warm temps the deer movement in my area is limited heavy right now to nighttime. also the buck to doe ratio is way off in my area which could be causeing a different effect. well for the time being im still watching them does. got to be one good one in the herd.:smile2: keep hope alive!:big_smile:

12. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Warm here too, and was on the local news tonight, car/deer strikes are high due to the rut & hunting pressures.

13. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    rut in full swing here, ne indiana.

14. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    I saw the first scrape yesterday, the rut is just startin here, this next week ought to be better, with some cooler weather commin in. The other day, I killed a spike that was trailin a doe, he was a 5 point a one time, but had 3 point broke off. That was the first buck that I've seen in 3 years, so at that time I did'nt care what he was.

15. fishnfool68

fishnfool68 New Member

State:
    Near Tulsa Oklahoma
    I've seen alot of deer driving around dusk and dawn.The rut is just starting,or is just about to.The buck's necks are all swollen,but I don't think the does are receptive just yet.The bucks I've seen have been sniffing the ground but not doing any chasing in my area just yet.Cold front is comming through tonight and we are expecting a 40degree drop by tomarrow night.I think hunting will be prime in my area this weekend.:big_smile:

16. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Seems to be going pretty well here in S.C. ILLINOIS, been alot of nice Bucks taken past few weeks, they seem to be running the does pretty well.

17. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    been hunting all day for 7 of last 10 days and i saw my first 2 bucks chasing does today.our rut is way off it should have been in full swing by nov.10th.

18. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    I left school last weekend when the rut seemed to be in full swing in central/ozark region of Missouri. I have been hunting in my home state of Kansas with my family this whole week (Ft. Scott area). Where we are hunting in Kansas, the deer don't seem like they are even close. I saw a buck with a broken antler so I figure it is pre- rut, but they really don't seem to be chasing or anything... the bucks seem more content to mill around for acorns. Kinda strange, I was excited when I left from school thinking I'd be hitting the peak of the rut in Kansas cause that is what it was in MO. Anybody from SE Kansas noticing the same thing? Seems kinda late to me.

19. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    In full swing here in N E new Mexico. todays high was 37 ,callin for 3-6" of white fluff on friday ,good huntin weather.

20. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I can't remember the last time it snowed during hunting season here. That sure would be nice.