whats the right tiller motor for my 1672 jon boat?

Discussion in 'Boating' started by beakus, Jan 8, 2009.

1. beakus

beakus New Member

State:
    derby kansas
    i have a 1672 jon boat that is going to get a new 4 stroke tiller this spring but i'm having trouble deciding on a brand and size so i need your experance and input.

2. katplayer187

katplayer187 New Member

State:
    WEST END-PITTSBURGH,PA
    i think all the new 4 stroke motors are super nice but for the size i guess that would depend on how much you wanna spend and if theres a plate on the boat it should tell you what the boats max power is..

3. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    also depends on the type of waters your gonna be fishin, but its always nice to have the power if ya need it, i'd check the capacity plate and go with the max HP or what ever you can afford, my first boat was a 14 ft pro jon with a 15 hp but the boat was rated for 25 hp max, the 15 was perfect for smaller rivers but in bigger lakes i wish i had the 25

4. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    All of the big names seem to make excellent motors now. So maybe see which one you can get cheapest. Also dont forget about how close the nearest service dept. is. If it has to go in for warranty work, or you need/want someone else to work on it, its nice not to have to drive forever to have it looked at.

As far as HP, if i've said it once i've said it a dozen times:
    Go the biggest motor the boat is rated for, unless money is a problem, then go the biggest you can afford.

Firstly, a larger motor that runs 1/2 to 3/4 throttle to plane the boat out, is going to get better fuel mileage than a smaller motor that has to run full throttle to keep the boat on plane. Its also nice if you run any kind of distance. If you're several miles from the ramp and a storm pops up all of a sudden (happens all the time), you'll be glad you went with the bigger motor. The same goes for someone getting injured on the boat. My cousin cut his foot pretty bad this summer on his boat, several miles from the boat ramp. I dont think he woulda bled to death (even though blood was running out the scuppers on the back of the boat), but it was nice that he could get to the boat ramp quickly and get to the hospital.

5. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    Umm, maybe he should have saved some money for a proper first aid kit?? :eek:oooh:

6. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    There's a tendency to link tillers with manual start, and that's a big mistake. You're gonna want a battery, anyway, to run lights and electronics...might as well get a starter and alternator while you're at it. Your life will be much more pleasant.:big_smile:

7. DJH1

DJH1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I agree, when you start manual starting motors bigger than a 25hp (40hp and 50hp) it gets old quick. Is 72" the beam width? If so, I'm guessing its a 48" bottom or something close to that. The max is probably gonna be a 40. Suzuki makes some awesome four strokes, but a four stroke is a lot of weight on a 16' boat. Also, you'll def. want power t and t for a 40 four stroke.

Another good option that'll save you some weight is the nissan and tohatsu tldi motors. They're quite a bit lighter than four strokes and you dont have the problems associated with carbed motors. Just something to think about.

8. jasonminitruck

jasonminitruck New Member

State:
    tennessee
    I would recomend a yamaha they are great motors, and my stepfather has a forty horse on a 16 foot boat that runs great thats what im going with when I get another motor.