What's the right length?

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by Big Vert, Sep 5, 2005.

1. Big Vert

Big Vert New Member

I'm in the market for a new catfish rig and am wondering what length rod to get? When I'm out, I see guys with everything from 6-11 feet long and I'm not sure what the criteria is to decide. I am looking at getting a Shimano Baitrunner Spinning Reel to match it up with after losing a pole to a fish yesterday. Thought I left it open but apparently not since I watched it fire off like a cannon into the lake yesterday while I was helping my little girl with a bluegill. I fish lakes and the Ohio River, mostly from the bank. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Just started hunting cats in the last year or so.

2. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    Well Vert I mostly use 7-8' rods. I mostly fish from a boat so you really don't want anything bigger then that. The main thing is to get a decent rod, not a Wally world special.

3. TrophyHunter

TrophyHunter New Member

State:
    Portage la Prairie, Manitoba
    Big vert I fish from shore and sometimes need to cast a long distance I use a 10.6ft heavy action abu garcia northstar rod it technically is a salmon rod but I love it!! Only thing is I'm only 5ft7" tall so landing the beasts at shore by myself is "fun" sometimes.I would like one in the 8-9ft range also I agree with Tomahawk get a decent rod and you wont be sorry!!

4. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    I like a 8 ft rod for a good compromise . It gives you enough length to cast a fair distance and it also is short enough to handle easy . I have 2 8 ft rods and 2 7ft 6 inch rods. There isnt much difference. Get a good rod and you will be happy. The really long rods are great for distance but are a handicap when fighting a fish or transporting to the lake. JMHO

5. elphaba7

elphaba7 New Member

State:
    Mo'town, WV
    I asked a similar question not too long ago, and got much advice to look at the Ugly Sitk and Ugly Cat, both available at Wally, I beleive. Just don't buy el cheapo generic rods, that you haven't researched. Check out the link to Jim Hudson on here also...I'm thinking about getting one myself.

6. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I use nothing less than 8' for bank fishing, I also have a Baitrunner reel on a 11' Ugly Stik. Will cast a far distance with little effort and lift your bait off the bottom quicker avoiding snags when reeling in to check bait. but can be a pain transporting it without breaking it down. I use 7' Ugly Stik Tiger rods for fishing from the boat, both of these have baitcasters on them. Good luck

7. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    sometimes its dedpens on preference in what type of cat fish you are chasing for channels 6'6"or 7ft rods (quality ones) should be fine if you are fishing off a bank and need to cast a long distance then a longer rod is best suited also if you going after heavier game it will give you more power to steer and control them basically more leverage but if you are new to fishing these may be hard to cast and like mentioned earlier they can be a pain to transport i mainly prefer 7 and 8 feet rods but also have a 6 "6 foot one that i can whip around and cast pretty far and its easy to hold for places that dont have a spot to rest the rod or to use a rod holder :)

8. Nate

Nate New Member

State:
    OH - IO
    American Premier NiteSticks from www.catfishconnection.com

Awesome rod, awesome cheap prices.

I recently got one of the 9 foot casting models for bank fishing and I can't say enough good things about it. It was supposed to be a rod to use until I could replaced an Ugly Stik. After using it, I don't need the Ugly Stik.

9. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    Vert, My rods for Europen Wels Catfishing are 10 & 11 ft. long and I use them for both shore and boat fishing. Having the longer length has not proven to be a problem and my last 72lb. Wels was caught on the 11ft. model. The ability to cast a baitfish out 50yd. seems short when you are using a Bluegill that only weighs 6-10oz. by home standards. When you are casting a 1-3lb. Carp/Chub/Brassee/Eel that distance, you might reconsider. Most of the time, we use a combination of casting a weight for distance and a second lighter rod for retrieving the line to get longer distances. This is a cumberson trick, but works well when alone also. A special float system can be used to keep the bait at a specific depth. This is one of the variations on the them as they say and we do it when boats are not allowed. I do not know what will happen once I return to the states, but I know that the CATMAXX rods will do the trick when I get there.

HOPPY4

10. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    Don't listen to Tomahawk, walmart does have some nice rods. I stay with at least 7' rods for all around.

11. zebcohobo202

zebcohobo202 New Member

I agree with Desperado Wally World does have some nice rods. In my opinion the Ugly Stick is the perfect utility rod. Rods costing more than $50 are status symbol hey look what I got pieces. I'd be scared to fish with an expensive rod. In fact, I used an antique rod today and broke it. If it had been a Wally World special it would have been no big deal. But to get back to the thread I like a 7.5-8ft. med. action.

12. elphaba7

elphaba7 New Member

State:
    Mo'town, WV
    Another point about the Ugly Stik, is that isn't there a lifetime guarentee on breaking? I heard they will replace them if the break. I was looking around at Wally yesterday, and not only do they have a nice selection of rods, they also have some very nice reels, from Shimano to Abu Garcia and a bunch of brands in between.

13. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    If you ask me the best all aroud rod is a 7 footer. They cast great have lots of power to handle a good size fish and are not to long to use from a boat and or shore.

14. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Picking a rod is like picking a computer. First thing is to ask yourself, "What do I want this thing to do?" Rods made for long distance casting are very long, which gives greater distance, but makes them cumbersome. "Boat rods" are short, because they are used for fishing mostly straight down from a boat, and the short length makes them easier to handle in a boat.
    Likewise, the 'heaviness', or type of action a rod needs depends on several factors. What weights will you be casting with it, and what weight line do you want to use? What size fish do you expect to catch with it? If you feel you will catch lots of smaller fish with an occasional large fish, do you want to get an action that will give you the greatest amount of fun with those smaller fish, or that has the best chance of pulling in that big one? A rod that's made to handle +50# fish isn't going to give much sport with a 2# fish on the line.

IMO, a good all-around compromise rod will be about 7'6"-8' long, which will give decent distance without being cumbersome. My favorite rod is a 7'6" Quantum Big Cat; before that, it was an 8' St. Croix. Too many people like Ugly Sticks for me to say that they aren't good rods, but the last rod I had repaired was an Ugly Stick with the tip broken off. Yeah, that part they always show getting caught between the boards of the dock--well, apparantly sometimes they don't break, and sometimes they do.

15. Big Vert

Big Vert New Member

Thanks for the tips guys (and gals), it really helps alot. This was my first post to the site and you guys are great. See ya on the water.

16. Catfish Huntr

Catfish Huntr New Member

State:
    Millersport, Ohio
    Big Vert,
    I use Rods that are 7 1/2' to 8' depending on how much line pickup I will need to set the hook or the area and type of cover I will be fishing. (I use Circle hooks alot) Also for getting my bait in the right spot without stunning my live bait I use a remote control boat for precise placement. I used to fish in the trash fish circut so my 7 1/2' flipping sticks have been converted to catfish rods. They also are very sensitive which I like and with the 6500c3 they are great for everything except extrem heavy cover. I also have a BigCat rod paired with a Quantum IR 330 reel. Handles big fish in heavy cover realy well.

Good Luck
    Catfish Huntr

17. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I like a heavy rod. I fish a lot of current and can't stand watching the rod tip and wondering which it is. Also, for heavy weights and bait, they are easier to cast. They are 6'6" Cabelas whuppin' sticks (man, I hate that name) but so far so good. I can't cast as far as I probably could with longer, lighter rod, but as long as the bait is hooked good and I put enough back into it, they do pretty well.

18. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    A 7'6" rod is the more common length for boat fishing. You can't go wrong with a Quantum Big Cat, J&M Boss series rod or even the7' Shakespeare TIGER sticks. It really depends on if you are fishing for big fish or just catfish in general.

19. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    LMAO catfish huntr do you really use a remote boat to place bait in the water that would be something to see. Hey big vert the ugly cat makes for a great all around cat pole its even got a pic of a cat on it. The cast model is 7' I think the spin is 7'6" great average length.

20. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Most of my cat rods are 7 foot. I fish from a boat most of the time and a 7 footer works well.