What's the right boat for me?

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by Mr Twister, Mar 2, 2006.

1. Mr Twister

Mr Twister New Member

State:
    Toronto, OH
    I have been thinking about buying a boat for some time, and hopefully this summer will be the time. Here is what I am looking for:

1) Big and durable enough to handle larger river catfishing (i.e. Ohio River, Scioto River, Muskingum River, etc)

2) But also small enough to get around the smaller lakes ( I am thinking 18' is about the length I want)

3) Center concole (preferably)

4) Mod-V (preferably)

4) Plenty of storage and livewell

5) This is the tought one: when I was showing my wife some of the Jon's I was looking at she said "NO." It has to be nice enough for us to take out on nice days and for her to be comfortable in...comfy seats, carpet, etc.

So what do you guys think is the boat I should be looking at?

Thanks for the input.

Eric

2. Mr Twister

Mr Twister New Member

State:
    Toronto, OH
    Also forgot a big one: affordability!

3. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Mr Twister, that's a hard one.

What price range are you looking for? New or Used?

I would suggest doing a google search like

+"center console" +mod-v +18ft +new

change the new to used if looking for used

4. rasimmons

rasimmons Guest

what i would do is go to the dealer and look at new ones to get an idea of what you want then if your wife likes the new shiny one you might get it.... lol

5. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Welcome Brother Ohioan! There ain't no such thing as a perfect boat. Especially when you throw the wife in the equation! I have a 1653 Jon with a 40/25 jet for the river. I have a 20 foot bass boat (in the classifieds soon) w a 225 on it. I am selling the bass boat cause I can't use it on my portion of the Muskingum (I am at the headwaters and it's too shallow). Got my eye on a dandy 28 foot pontoon with a 90 horse on it for Salt Fork. (Hey Jack {Netman} you hear that, a 28 foot pontoon AND I bought a propane heater too!).

Give us a price range and we'll guide you a little. That said, it doesn't really matter what we say, it matters what wifey says, and she's the most important one. Just count your blessings that she even cares.

6. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
  7. mjokerr

mjokerr New Member

State:
    south carolina
    For a "dry ride" stay away from a jon boat.I have a 19 foot Sea Pro and love it.I would recommend a 4 stroke, a little bit more but you dont have to mess with the problems with 2 strokes. Put gas in it and go.(Just my opinion theres nothing wrong with 2 strokes.) I would go with fiberglass all the catfish slime gets on the carpet and makes a big mess,then over time you have to ripe it all up and replace everything,fiberglass scrub and its clean.Hope this helps you toward your best investment youll ever make.:)

8. Mr Twister

Mr Twister New Member

State:
    Toronto, OH
    Any of you have a Triton? I was at their web page and really like the 170cc bay series. Only thing is the interior would need carpeted? If you have one how do you like it?

9. Knoxcats

Knoxcats New Member

State:
    Knoxville, TN
    May I suggest a Carolina Skiff 1780DLX. Center console, 75hp max, 80" wide at the floor, 93" beam. Large front deck, rear deck with live wells. In my opinion, not a better built boat on the water today.

Shallow draft, stable as a rock, and doesn't take a huge motor to push it. You also have the ablility to customize as you desire.

10. Knoxcats

Knoxcats New Member

State:
    Knoxville, TN
    Key Largo boats are also nice, but the load capacity of a Carolina Skiff is about 4x that of the Key Largo.

11. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    Mjokerr I agree with you I have a 2005 19' center console sea boss bay boat. she only drafts about 12" so I can get in some shallow places thus the name bay boat. I can seat about 5 comfortable and its high enough when I 'm blasting through the water I stay dry. I have a bimini top to keep dry during rains. The boat has a stainless steel railing around it which makes attaching rod holders a snap and comes equipped with 2 livewells and a locker cabinet.

I couldn't see paying the extra $$$$. for a four stroke I have a 90 oil injected 2 stroke that seams to work for me

And the best part the wife picked it out she loves it.

12. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I would look for one about 5'3",100lbs,brunette or redhead,figure to die for!;) with a good attitude and that loved to fish.Since a new wife will probably be far more costly than a boat the Carolina Skiff is a good choice and Triton makes some fine boats also.Triumph makes a good boat that is very lightweight and fuel efficient.Their 18ft is a very nice boat.The Targa is a great fishing boat as are Lunds.2 stroke or 4 stroke is an interesting question as the 2 strokers like Optimax etc are just as fuel efficient and somewhat cheaper and weigh less so a careful evaluation should be made.:) :cool:

13. Mr Twister

Mr Twister New Member

State:
    Toronto, OH
    The carolina skiff looks great. I wonder about how fiberglass holds up in rocky, snaggy rivers?

14. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    xpress make an "extremely attractive" (in my opinion) center console boat. I would like nothing more than to have one of these for my own.

15. duck_killr

duck_killr New Member

State:
    il
    I Agree That There Is Not One Perfect Boat. I Currntly Have Two Boats. I Have An Old 16' V Bottom I Use For Back Water Fishing And A 18 Fot Mod V All Weld With A 75 E-tec On It. I Use This Boat For Fishing And Hunting. I Am Going To Sell My V Bottom And Buy An 18 Or 20 Foot Lund Alaskan (red) For Fishing. The Alaskan Comes With Really Nice Seats. I Am Going To Put My E-tec On That Boat And Buy A Used Mud Motor For My Jon Boat, Which Will Be Used For Running Lines In Flooded Timber And Duck Hunting. The Lund Will Run You Between 8 And 10 G's For The Boat And Trailer. If You Go To In-fisherman's Websited And Pull Up Boats You Can Look At An 18 And A 20 Footer They Have For Sale. The 18 Is Red And Has A Motor, Trolling Motor And Depth Finders On It. It Is Also Avialable At A Really Good Price. They Said The Boat Won't Be Ready Untill May.

16. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I believe that there is no "best boat".I have never seen a "wife comfy boat" that I thought made a good fishing boat.Dried mud,blood,guts,scales and fish doo doo are not things that are easly removed from carpet or any other nice thing.I know of no way to fish without acumulating this residue.These comfort items are not made to saturate with this stuff.Your boat will stink,if you fish in it.Many fishermen have to compromise with the pleasure boaters in the family.Many times these people are only interested in"boating"a few times a year,yet have stuck you with a boat that is unfit for anything else the rest of the year.At one time my solution for fishing boats was-8 boats,7 outboards and 3 trolling motors.I had all at one time and used each,or a combination of each for different types and ways of fishing.I like the bare aluminium of some.The sun does not hurt it.It cleans easy.Two are of a tempered alloy that has stood up well to rocks,shell,snags and concrete.I set a sprinkler in and under them,when it is above freezing.I could and did use charcoal or build a small sheltered fire under them and melt the ice when needed.They are light,which lets you use smaller motors and saves fuel.They are noisy.Bare skin will stick to it when freezing.It can get very hot on a hot day.It will conduct electricity.Anything of copper or brass left in or on it will cause corrosion in salt water.I like the glass of some.It is not as noisy.It does not feel as hot or cold.The sun hurts them.They are heavy,which means larger motors and more fuel. Rocks,shell,snags,and concrete will damage them,as it will the softer aluminium boats.My life has been a dream with boats,motors,fishing and hunting.Lowe Boats has Angler series pontoon and modified V deck boats,that they claim are duel purpose.I do not know anything about them.I just thought that thier claims seem to echo some of your wants.Even with all of my boats,I found more that I wanted.The only thing that stoped me was,I COULD NOT AFFORD MORE!peewee-williams

17. wpsatisfide

wpsatisfide New Member

State:
    Pawleys Island, SC
    Id say take a look at the carolina skiff as well. I particularly like the added room in the front versus a normal center console boat.