Whats the quickest way to kill a catfish?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Jay Jay, Feb 26, 2007.

1. Jay Jay

Jay Jay New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    I hang my catfish up with a meathook between the eyes, and I cut of their tail to bleed them out , after 1/2 hr. they are still kicking . Any better ideas to kill them humanely ? Besides bashing in their head ?

2. HARVRAD2003

HARVRAD2003 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    I don't know I use a hammer and knock them out and then cut the meat off, of course I don't or haven't done a cat over 8 lb. either. My wife always feels sorry for the fish and makes rude comments about how would I like to have my flesh cut off while I was still alive. I have a 3 and 7 yr. old daughter and always thought that they would have trouble with this also but my girls always seems to enjoy watching and are very curious about whats going on, they also love to catfish or fish period.

3. Snake Charmer

Snake Charmer New Member

State:
    Ca/Nv/Az
    I cut the tail off also--right after I boat um--then leave on the stringer, for as long as it takes.

4. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I put one hand at the base of the skull and grab the upper jaw with the other hand and bend his head back until his neck snaps. This can be near impossible on the big cats but works well on eater sized channels that I catch.

5. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    a .45 or a 12ga works pretty darn good.

Honestly, never tried killin one before cleaning it. Throw it in a bucket of ice for an hour and ya don't have to worry about it.

6. F150Catfish

F150Catfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    Sometime, I use small baseball bat to bashing in their head. But not often.. well when I caught them and put into the stringer then put them in the bucket with ice then start clean them.

7. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

I agree.Throw them in an old cooler with a couple bags of ice and there you go.Never had a problem doing it that way.It sure beats having a fin go through your hand while you're trying to clean it.Thats really painful.I saw that happen to a buddy one time...OUCH!!!

8. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    OK guys, here is the easiest and quickest way. After you get them in the boat, put them on your stringer, " Cut Their Gills" put them in the water and drag them behind the boat for a few minutes and they will be bleed out. Put them in your ice chest, til you get home. When you clean them, you won't even have that bloody mess on your cleaning table.
    I do this with my Walleye, Salmon, Lake Trout, Northern Pike, Stream Trout, and my Catfish. Try it! It sure make cleaning them a lot easier when you get home.
    Sparky

9. james_s333

james_s333 New Member

State:
    byesville,ohio
    we just shot the bigger ones with a 22 pistol around here and keep them in fresh til they die but we fish from the bank

10. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    You hit the nail on the head Sparky. The other plus involved besides being humane is that it greatly reduces the lactic acid build up from stress.

The flavor & tenderness difference will be noticeable in short order.

11. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    I haven`t :tounge_out: caught one in so long I can`t remember

12. Tiny

Tiny New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    when I'm about to pack everything up I pull all the fish out of the livewell ... take a few snapshots and then I'll plug my electric fillet knife in and as I'm counting and putting them back in the livewell I slit thier gills with the electric fillet knife. gotta put them back in the water for that to work so their heart will pump all the blood out of their bodies. they bleed out in just a few minutes and usually by the time I get back to the ramp to unload my passengers the fish are dead. channelcat take a little longer to die than the blues when doing this but this way ya don't get blood all over the boat. they're dead or almost dead also so you don't get beat up and cut up. makes cleaning a lot cleaner and safer.

13. Wooly

Wooly New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Has anyone heard of using a broom straw? I saw it used years ago and it seemed to work. A buddy took one strand off a kitchen broom and ran it up the nostril. He said it ran straight into the brain. I don't know but the channel gave a quiver and it was over. I have mentioned this to other buddies over the years and just got strange looks.

Wooly

14. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Yep! I heard about it before, but again here on the BOC. Here's a link to the thread.

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6347

Refer to posts #38 and #42 :smile2:.

15. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    if you look closely at a big cat you can see the lines coming together above the eyes. where these lines intersect, i hammer a nail into the fish's skull. they never even twitch after that. i think it paralyzes rather than kills em though.
    i will try the gill cutting thing though. sounds like a good idea.

16. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California

I'm with you man.... I have gotten immune to looking at the eyes while cleaning fish...trouble with the bucket of ice is.... my MGD is in there and that is not a prob. either....I use the right hand to pull the opening tab, as the left one is used for putting danny kings on hooks, and I don't want that to interfear with the taste.... cheeze and beer tastes good thought.....its like removing legs from frogs as a kid.... anyway cats don't swim to good with all the meat removed as you lay them to rest and deep six them...
    I practice catch and release.... CPR big ones.... when I get em.....

bayrunner ray

17. Deepfried

Deepfried New Member

State:
    Murfreesboro,,Tenneessee
    OK this is the way my Grandfather showed me. Keep them alive till u get home, When ready to clean them, he would remove a broom straw(make sure it is a stiff one) put a small slit in the soft part on top and back of the head,(just split the skin) and insert the straw down the spine, it will paralyze them and proceed with the skinning. Honest truth, :big_smile:
    Granddad always skinned his catfish. As I got older. fillet is they way for me :cool2: :cool2:

18. stressedcat

stressedcat New Member

State:
    kansas
    Hammers and bats probably will kill cats but my method is to turn them on thire back and and taking a good knife with a good sharp point and gage where the brain is and stick the knife through the bottom of the mouth, it's soft:big_smile: , and up into the brain. One stick and they are history. Works every time for me. I guess a ice pick or something like that would work as well.

PS I have never caught a big cat and don't know how much fight we are talking about but it should work equally as well.

Kirk

19. Ice-Berg

Ice-Berg New Member

State:
    Ohio,Cinci
    This might not sound very humane, but its proabally the quickest and most painless death to a fish you would cook. Take an axe with at 5-6 inch long blade and seperate the head from the fish right where the spine/back bone meets the head. That's the quickest death i would think.

20. catfishculler

catfishculler New Member

State:
    arkansas
    i have to agree with all that posted about bleeding them out. Its easy to cut their tails off or just make a small cut on their gills but the added benifit is that they will just taste better if there drained. have cleaned more than you could get into a packing house and its always best to have them bled out before cleaning:big_smile: