What's The Purpose In A Tilt Trailer

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by glenmorebuckman, Sep 29, 2005.

1. glenmorebuckman

glenmorebuckman New Member

State:
    Caneyville, Ken
    My boat has a tilt trailer. What are they for? Launching over a steep bank?

2. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I was wondering the same. I have seen and heard of these trailors but why a boat? I bould see for a lawn mower. :confused:

3. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    I have one. They are for launching in a river or pond without a ramp. You can get near the waters edge and put the rear of the boat in the water and hit the latch and the boat will go out in the water and the trailer will fold up and the rear of the trailer will go down and the boat will slide down in the water easy. When you want to put it on the trailer you back it to the boat and hit the latch and put the rear of the bunks under the front of the boat and hook the tow strap on the boat and reel it up on the trailer and when it gets about 2/3rds on there the trailer levels out and latches and your ready to go. Nice to have one. I have a 16ft. Lowe Jon boat.

4. dudlbugr

dudlbugr New Member

State:
    Cleveland, AL
    Desperado is right, and they ARE nice to have. A friend used to have one, and when the river got real low, we always took his boat. Got to have a good strap on your trailer winch, but they really come in handy!

5. Aquacat

Aquacat New Member

State:
    Sherman, Texas
    That's the best trailer to have I think. Man, I can't tell you how many times I used my tilt trailer especially of you don't have a boat ramp.

6. davesoutfishing

davesoutfishing New Member

State:
    Menominee Michigan
    man I love tilt trailers when the water is flodding the parking lots of the boat ramps just back out dump the boat off and fish

7. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    When you're launching or retreiving at a nice gentle ramp that extends way out in the water, a tilt trailer isn't necessary, because you can back the trailer far enough in the water to run the boat up onto it. However, if the ramp has a dropoff that keeps you from backing far enough into the water, or if you're launching over the bank, a tilt trailer makes it a lot easier. And the heavier the boat, the nicer they are.

8. oldprowler

oldprowler New Member

State:
    Mannford, Oklahoma
    TopSgt: There are several brands of utility trailers made with a tilt feature.

9. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    like i said a person can always learn something new on the boc!!
    i had a tilt trailer but i guess the ramps i used were gradual enough i didnt need the feature but i didnt know how tio use it anyway!!!!!!!

do you have to block the tires to get the tilt to fold up?

would like to see a drawing of this feature in action cause i'm not sure how the
    action that this makes works.

10. davesoutfishing

davesoutfishing New Member

State:
    Menominee Michigan
    no blocking of the wheels just pull the pin back into the water and push it off ....when I fish in the spring when the water would come up the parking lot of the boat ramp would be flooded prolly 1 foot and a half deep I would use the tilt to get it off the trailer and when I was done fishing use the tilt to getit back on the tilt (whenloading) will tilt till the boat is about half on the trailer then it would lay flat when you cranked it up

11. glenmorebuckman

glenmorebuckman New Member

State:
    Caneyville, Ken
    What can I say? I'm shocked! I've had this great feature all along and didn't know what it was for! I believe it would have saved me a lot of trouble on many occasions. Thanks everybody!

12. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    dave in that shallow of water is there problems with the motor being damaged?

like when i unload in a normal non tilt trailer and water condition i have the motor down in running position .
    do you have to have the motor up while useing the tilt feature??
    seems like it would really put the boat in an overly upward position at the bow

causeing the motor to drag into the bottom of the lake!

i will try and look for a tilt trailer at a ramp and maybe get to see one in action.

my last one had the feature but i never used it i was afaid that i would screw up my boat and motor LOL

thanx for replies

13. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    One of the most important things about a "tilt trailer"is that it lets you launch most boats,without submerging your wheel bearings.Full engine tilt,is safest when launching off of a tilt,or any trailer.You can add "2 tilting bunkers,and a center roller" to the back of most trailers to ease launching and recovery.You hinge them just forward of center,and they will hang down in the back of the trailer,for the boat to run up on.Leave enough clearance,so that they won;t drag when you back the trailer.peewee-williams

14. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    jeeze. my first boat i got when i was 19 had a tilt trailer. i remember doing it when the boat was off the trailer to see why the big pin was in there but never made the connection. :confused:

15. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    IMHO, if you buy a boat trailer that doesn't have bearing buddies, one of the first things you need to do is buy and install them. Sorry if that's a brand name; I don't mean to imply that they have to be a particular brand, but I can't think of anything else to call them. Them there doodads that replace your wheel bearing covers and keep the grease under pressure. They just tap into place, so anybody can install them.