What's the one thing you've learned

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by catfisherman369, Jan 3, 2009.

1. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    Since being a Catfish1 member what do you feel is the most important thing that has or will help improve your catches/size of catches?

Mine is to depend more on "natural" baits, both cut & live.

2. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    The one thing that can make the difference on size of fish is to learn your body of water. Get a topo map and look for features that would support the fish you pursue. Learn how to use your fish-finder and identify structure that your specie relates to. Mark humps and brushpiles with your GPS so that you can find them again.:roll_eyes:

The best way to shorten the learning curve is to fish with someone who already knows the body of water and is willing to help you.:wink:

Don't get caught up in looking for the fish with the fish-finder before tossing out a bait. Use the known structure and have faith in your knowledge of that body of water. If you fish the structure, the fish will come!

3. lbaker3

lbaker3 New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Man, hard to pick just one. 90% of what I know about catfishing I learned on here. Using natural baits, both cut & live is a good one, and learning how to catch the bait was huge as well.

4. fishnvince

fishnvince New Member

State:
    na
    I learned that the closest brother is only a phone call away, and that makes for some fun times on the water.

5. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    it is hard to narrow it down to just one thing, i'd have to say learning the river and looking for cover, #2 would have ta be using the proper size equipment,reels,hooks

6. gbigskin

gbigskin New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    like lendog said, go big or go home. big bait=big fish imo.

7. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    I think for me it is to maximize effort,,, Good bait presentation, in target filled environment..
    Getting the knowledge about the waters I fish,,,I think will bring more success,,

8. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Patience....Patience.....Patience!:crazy:

9. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I got to know geographically where some of the best catfishing rivers and lakes are nation wide from the reports and pictures that members submit to the forum.

10. stan777

stan777 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I don't post to much but i love the gold mine of info. that i can read.
    Thanks to all.

One thing i would like to read about is the therma clineand what time of year
    it effects fishing Sorry about the spelling I am not to good. Thanks Again.

11. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I guess the main thing I have learned, but not yet utilized, is to have a check list for all the items needed for a day on the water. It seems I forget something about 40% of the time. A simple checklist would eliminate this problem.
    Bill in SC

12. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    me to shad and skip jack as bait was the best idea i got off here

13. colten

colten Member

State:
    Texas
    Mine would be some of the recipes for dough bait. There are some good ones out there.

14. RobbHeb

RobbHeb New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    same here, but its more like 80% of the time for me!

15. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    The most important lesson I've learned from being a member here is time on the water. If you are willing to sit there and wait for 6 months straight, you have a great chance of running into a biggun, if not couple.

16. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    Thats there's a lot of nice brothers willing to encourage you, share a fish tale or too and answer questions.

I've always had success in odd ways. and any time I try to catch fish, the "infishermen" way or anyone else's, I usually fail miserably. (Although usually if you ask questions around here, you'll get so many different answers that one or more is right for you.)

fishing skill seems a very personal thing.

but time on the water, constant experimentation and looking for patterns have helped alot. And catfish1.com has given me a lot of encouragement and a few real new shared adventures with some truly nice guys.

17. tackleholic

tackleholic New Member

State:
    New Albany
    I agree with 3 of you it's the patiences that helps. Shad & skipjacks & my favorite nightcrawlers. Another is a wise expression of mine. "When fish decides to bite they bite, when they don't they don't".:cool2:

18. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I think bait is the most important thing that determines my sucess.

19. andrew76

andrew76 New Member

State:
    southwest ohio
    Id have to say lerning how to fish a river. thanks every one

20. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    How important Having "Friends" are to me.
    :wink: