What's the Ohio look like?

Discussion in 'WEST VIRGINIA RIVER TALK' started by DANZIG, Aug 14, 2009.

1. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Thinking of exploring a new (to me) spot up by Lesage tomorrow evening.

Anybody eyeball the Ohio River today??

2. bigkane

bigkane New Member

State:
    Ashland, K
    Here in Huntington it's starting to clear up a little. I've noticed a lot of boats and jet skis out there today as well.

3. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    About back down to pool yet??

4. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Can't help you out there but its looking pretty good here, all except not much current.:confused2: I'd say its in good shape there, its near normal pool here(down around the Little Sandy area).
    They had the gates shut most of the night here and it was like a lake till about dawn this morning.

5. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Well now, that was a slow evening. An odd one too.

The water looked decent and I didn't get skunked, but it was a near thing.
    Got a 2 lb channel on chicken liver and a small striper on nightcrawler. Cut shad got no response.

Bites were few and far between and had a ton of attacks on my line where it met the water. Some by mystery fish 12 inches plus. Maybe stripers, maybe saugeye?
    Plenty of "splashing" all around me most all night. Something was feeding.

Had a 3 pole spread and when barges went by only two would react, then a short time later the third would.
    Weird.

Late in the evening/early in the morning fog rolled in so thick I could barely see the stick hanging on my outboard lines. 3 pole spread, Colman lantern in front of them.

I had close to 300 yards to choose from and it's my guess I just picked the worst spot on the beach. It looks good enough for another try.

But next time I will have some WMD grade skeeter repellent and bathe in it.
    I haven't run across bloodsuckers that aggressive since I don't know when. Had to reapply often and if I missed one square inch, they found it. Even more odd, I have no welts. Probably west nile, but no welts.:confused2::smile2: