What's the odds of this?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by bill_gfish, Apr 14, 2006.

1. bill_gfish

bill_gfish New Member

State:
    st. marys, oh
    Last fall I went catfishing at Lake Loramie (5-8 ft. deep on average?) as I frequently do but this time I did something dif. than normal. Everytime I fasten the rod holders to the picnic table then bait up and cast out. This time I baited the first rod (abu 6500c3 w/ugly stick catfish rod) up and pushed the finger hold at the bottom of the rod into the crack of the table and proceeded to put the holder on. The next thing ya know my pole goes sideways, hits me in the wrist and flies of the table into the water. Dumbfounded for a moment then I get the other pole and start casting to snag the pole or line. I end up snagging the line and pull the fish in, it was a 5 lb. channel. I pull the line trying to pull the rod/reel to me and it wouldn't budge. I stripped off the line and that was that. Dip and I tried two dif. times with big trebles to snag the rig to no avail. Called it a lost and replaced it.

This past sunday we were fishing the same spot minding our own business when this older fella in a bass boat comes by to get to the boat ramp and asks if one of us lost a rod and reel like the ones we were using. My first thought was no way. Seems he was out on the lake either last fall or earlier this year and saw the butt floating and grabbed it. Gave me his card which had his name and number and I picked it up this morning. Other than a thin film of lake, it is the same as before. Gotta go through it and grease and oil it and it will be good to go. It just blows my mind that I got it back, it was/is my first catfishing rig I bought.

2. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Hey, you are lucky so go play the lottery tonight. I once lost a $300.00 dollar set up on the delaware bay when the ron launched out of the holder while hitting a swell.

3. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    That is wonderful!!!

Amazing how things can work out.

4. tdpasser

tdpasser New Member

State:
    Gilbert AZ
    That's cool of that dude to ask, I'd say it's lucky. Put the big blue gill on that rod.;)

5. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Id say it was your lucky day! Thats cool too that he was nice enough to say something and not just keep it!

6. tanner

tanner New Member

State:
    Somerset, Kentucky
    dude that's flippin' crazy! :waaaht: that is now your offical lucky pole...guard it with your life! :big_smile_2:

7. dip

dip New Member

State:
    stinkin ohio
    funny thing is that i was fittin to rip this guy's head off cuz he was yakkin on his cell fone and drifting into my lines. now billy-gee-whiz has THREE(3) catfishing rigs! catching up to my 15 or so!:rolleyes:

8. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    that is one good man to do that. dd you buy him a lottery ticket?

9. bill_gfish

bill_gfish New Member

State:
    st. marys, oh
    Yep, a big whoppping 3 now. I suppose since in ohio we are only allowed to use 2 I have one more than I need. It is all greased and oiled and ready to go now. I just gotta get dip on the ball so we can get to the mammy and catch some flats. I haven't figured out if I will send the guy a lottery ticket or a check or something but I do know this. I went yesterday to pick it up but he forgot to put it from the barn to his garage. Yes, he tells me that no one will be home and to just walk into the garage and get it. I didn't rob him blind and he gave my rod/reel back so I guess we are even. :)

10. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Wild story, I've never heard of that happening before.

11. doughboy

doughboy New Member

State:
    newcomerstown,ohio
    you have some good luck i would have to say

12. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    FIRST THING.Please invite this gentleman to join the BOC.He sounds like our kind of people.Second thing is something that all of us already know.This is why you tie a safety cord on any rig that you wish to keep.Reels are mechanical.They make a boo boo some times.Line coming off of a reel can loop and foul handles,rod eyes and tips.You can even loose a simple hand reel like this.I know.I have done it.I will most likely do it again,if I last long enough.My 16 year old cousin lost two very large,expensive Penn rigs in the bay at Panama City Florida,while shark fishing.He had slipped the rigs out.They were his step fathers.He had forbidden him to use them,as he would bait,cast them out,and forget about them,while he played like Mr.cool with anyone that would put up with him.We heard a SING,clang,and looked in time to see both rigs go over the rail.I was fishing with my own rig.Some man who knew him,went and called my uncle,who showed up in about 20 minutes.It took them 3 days to find my cousin,and then he claimed that I did it.Two many witnesses for him to avoid the blame.Two weeks later some one hung into the line on one rig,pulled it in,and then pulled in the second.They were still tangled.This was the summer of 1957.Aprox.20 years later,I was fishing for Sheephead with a friend,under the Broad river Bridge in S.C..He lost his rig,and about 30 minutes later caught and recovered it.I have never recovered a single rig that I or my children have lost.The odds are unbelievable when you do.Proud that it worked out for you.peewee-williams