Whats the oddest thing you caught a catfish on?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by bigmac782, Apr 17, 2008.

1. bigmac782

bigmac782 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I really haven't caught them on anything really odd but I thought it may be neat to hear some stories from people. Caught a 7lb channel last summer on a 2 inch curly tailed jig and have caught a few bullhead with rubber worms, like I said nothing too odd.

2. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Green persimmions. I tell ya when them cats chomp down on one of them sour suckers, they pucker up and can't turn loose. Ya ain't even gotta set the hook.:smile2: Actually i use to use Bengie dawg food, it's good channel bait but ya gotta be easy not to sling it off.

3. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Also Steve, welcome to the hood. Hope ya enjoy it, not everyone is Krazy,,,but it helps.:cool2:

4. deerhunter4

deerhunter4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Welcome aboard look forward to viewing your post

5. stickusmc

stickusmc New Member

State:
    Glasford, Illinois
    i've caught a few channels on spinner baits
    i caught my pb on a piece of garlic soaked hot dog

6. mariofish

mariofish New Member

State:
    wv
    i use candybars to catch some one time:cool2:

7. bobby-catfishing

bobby-catfishing New Member

State:
    Highland Villag
    I've caught them on various lures. Rat-L-Traps, Road Runners, Mepps spinners, Beatle Spin, Bass Jigs, various soft-plastic worms and lizzards, slabs and even a gummy worm. I think the best one was a dry fly that I made to look like the floating fish food we used to feed the channel cats in my dad's stock tank way back when. We would feed the fish and really get them gorging on the food. When it was just about all gone, I'd toss that fly right in front of a feeding fish. He would vacuum that thing up in a matter of seconds. By the way....a 3 or 4 lb channel cat will put up a heck of a fight on a fly rod.

8. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    The weirdest and oddest thing that I have ever caught a catfish on I would have to say would be a hershey candy bar.

9. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    the wierdest thing i ever cought a catfish on would have to be my rod n reel. i know, i know, just cause it happened once doesnt mean i can repeat the performance.

10. spcmitchell28

spcmitchell28 New Member

State:
    Polo, Missouri
    The weirdest thing I have caught one on was line. lol. He bumped my line in a hard current and the line twisted around his body and the hook hung up further up the line lassoing him. lol. It was a small bluecat. I have also caught a channel on a bare hook before. I had lost my bait and had my rig hanging over the side of the boat while I was cutting up a piece of eel, and my pole almost flew into the water :crazy:

11. allena

allena New Member

State:
    WV/Preston Co.
    At different times I`ve caught them on bacon, hot pepper, strip of ham and wd-40 on liver.

12. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    i personally haven't caught any on anything weird. like spcmitchell28, my son has lassoed one. one of my brother's ex's decided to put a starburst chew on her hook and cast out. needless to say we laughed ALOT until.... she caught channel. we laughed even harder at that. i cant seem to remember what flavor the chew was, i may have to make a call :wink: i gotta do somethin to change my luck :smile2:

13. BLACK MAC

BLACK MAC New Member

State:
    Riverbank Calif
    wd-40??????????????? never heard of that one...

14. fishing bum

fishing bum New Member

State:
    Victoria Texas
    I have caught frogs on a top water weedless lure. If you have not done this you are missing out on some fun.

15. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il

yeah its soposed to work good i guess. a lot of people do it around here but i dunno if ill ever try it or not. a bunch of controversy about polluting the water with it. somethin that cats like about it i guess, ive herd one of the main ingredients is fish oil. not sure tho.

16. BLACK MAC

BLACK MAC New Member

State:
    Riverbank Calif
    thanks for the info...

17. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    rotten, stomped out squirrel guts! I accidently stepped on a floater on the rip-rap of the lake and man it stunk! I carefully hooked a huge glob and lobbed it out. about 20 minutes later i was chasing my pole down the bank. I'm assuming it was a catfish, because he run a ton of line out and got me hung up in a bunch of tree roots. We laughed for awhile on that one. another wierd thing was old stinky ribeye steaks. I accidently left a box of expensive individually wrapped ribeye steaks on top of the refer. in the garage. when i found them they were turning black. we used gloves to cut it up, and hook it. we were catching channels pretty good, but could'nt stomach the smell. so, we fed the fish on the way out with them. They like some pretty disgusting stuff.......

18. allena

allena New Member

State:
    WV/Preston Co.
    I`ve only used wd-40 3-4 times over the years. Stumbled across the idea 25-30 years ago. One night we were having no luck at all so we gave the liver a quick shot and they fired up. As for the polluting part I can`t see a small squirt hurting any more than what comes from a boat motor. No one I know uses it as a go to, it`s more of a last resort.

19. montgomery#1

montgomery#1 New Member

State:
    ogden utah
    I caught one on a piece of rubber. A piece that was cut to look like a worm squirted with crawfish oil. It stunk to high heaven.

20. jesseray

jesseray New Member

State:
    missouri
    12 pound blue on a rapala shad rap