Whats the most poisonous spider?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by catfish_jordan, Oct 6, 2006.

1. catfish_jordan

catfish_jordan New Member

State:
    Lincoln,NE
    does any body know what the most posinous spider is. well i love spiders and iv been around them all my life. also i kno what that spider is. ill let you gess for a while.

(hint: its not in north america at lease i dont think it is)

thanks

2. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    The Brown Recluse probably is in North America but worldwide I'm not sure.

Speaking of spiders...the Tarantulas around here are on the move. I've seen about 15 in less than a week. Most crossing the highway. 3 here in the yard.

Note: Just like armadillo's and possums, most don't make it.

3. Jimmy Don

Jimmy Don Member

State:
    Arkansas
    If my memory serves me well I say the Funnel Web Spider in Australia.

4. GrandpaGoneFishing

GrandpaGoneFishing Well-Known Member

State:
    Linn Valley, Ks
    Surprising enough. The most poisonous spider I believe is the Daddy Long Legs. There problem is that there fangs are not long enough to inject most animals.
    Might be Wrong​

:canny:

5. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I think he is referring to another one, but I with you Jay.

6. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    no pun intended : The Brazilian Wandering Spider is recognized as the deadliest spider in the world. Native to tropical and subtropical regions of South America, Brazilian Wandering Spiders are extremely fast, extremely venomous, and extremely aggressive. They grow to around 4 to 5 inches. Adult spiders eat large insects, small lizards, and mice. It's venom is enough to kill 255 mice.

Brazilian Wandering Spiders have turned up in other parts of the world as they have been known to occasionally hide in clusters of bananas.

7. knapperheadmatt

knapperheadmatt New Member

State:
    texas
    the most fearsome,deadliest,biggest,hairiest,creepiest spider is the one i find crawling on me.:eek:oooh: :big_smile:
    matt

8. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    i agree on the daddy long legs. they have very deadly toxins, but just cant bite.

9. vegasryder

vegasryder New Member

State:
    illinois
    You guys better be careful when you handle or grab them bananas!!!:big_smile:

10. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    id have to also say the daddy long leg but...it cant bite so im going with the black widow?

11. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    What is the most poisonous spider?

There are only a few poisonous spiders in the world, but a few is enough. Read on to find out about them.

Most people are afraid of spiders, like Little Miss Muffet, and sometimes, it is with good reason. There are only a few spiders in the world that are truly poisonous. However, a few is enough. Some spiders may be poisonous to some animals but only a few are poisonous to humans. These include the brown recluse, the black widow and the yellow (or gold) sac, the hobo spider and the red legged spider.

As you may know, spiders are not insects, they are arachnids. They have fangs, and devour their food from the inside out, sucking out the insides. It is also with their fangs that they inject their venom.

Black widows are by far the most common poisonous spider bite in the United States. Black Widow Spiders are most common in the tropics and the Southern United States, but have been reported as far north as Canada. They spin an irregular web in crevices and dark places. They have long legs and dark, black bodies. The female is the poisonous one, the male is smaller with no marking and harmless. The female's distinctive marking is a red hourglass shape on her abdomen. This can also be seen as two seperate red spots. They are approximately 1cm long, but vary. The venom of a black widow spider is said to be 15 times more poisonous than a rattlesnake. Places these spiders are found include, but not limited to: garages, wood piles, and any dark secluded places. Often a person is bitten when reaching underneath or behind something. Always use caution when cleaning old dark places. Turn things over with something else. When bitten, sometimes the initial bite is painless. Pain maximizes about 1 to 3 hours after the bite. There is local pain and swelling, perhaps redness. The venom causes muscle cramping. So there will also probably be some cramping, and possibly nausea and vomiting. There can also be difficulty breathing. Black widow bites can even be fatal, however less than one percent of these bites result in death. Children under thirty pounds are most at risk. When bitten you must seek medical attention. At home, you can apply an ice pack and some alcohol or peroxide before going to the hospital. Then try to catch the spider safely and take it with you to the hospital for identification. Spider bites are rarely fatal. Bites of non-poisonous spiders usually cause no reaction at all.

The Brown Recluse Spider is another one of the most poisonous spiders. Its danger is primarily in tissue damage. Its poison kills the cells and tissue at the bite. After applying ice and alcohol, seek medical attention. Again try to safely contain the culprit for identification. The initial bite is usually painful, but it becomes very painful within several hours. Again this makes it more dangerous because the damage is being done. The recluse is also called the violin spider because of its distinctive "violin shaped" marking on it's back. These spiders can be found in dark places as well. They don't like to be disturbed and will run as well, unless antagonized. You can often find them in dark corners and crevices, wood piles, newspaper piles, old clothes not worn lately, in chests, attics, basements, window cylinders, boxes, under rocks, under anything in dark places.

Poisonous and non-poisonous bites, can become infected, however. The problem is that sometimes, even poisonous spider bites are not felt at the time of the bite.
    Some signs and symptoms of a poisonous spider bite include: redness, pain and/or itching at the site, stiff, achy joints, muscle spasms, fever, chills, nausea, vomiting, muscle cramps, difficulty swallowing or breathing, convulsions and loss of consciousness. In severe cases called anaphalactic shock the person's face, eyes, tongue, lips and throat can swell, making it difficult to breathe. This is a potentially life threatening situation. 911, emergency call system should be activated.

When a person is bitten by a spider, wash the area with soap and water. Hydrocortisone creams can be applied for itching and swelling. Tylenol or Advil can be given by mouth for pain and Benadryl by mouth will help with swelling and itching. Watch the area closely for signs of infection. It is always best to seek medical attention if you have been bitten by a poisonous spider, and don't forget to bring the spider if possible, for identification. Control of infestation of poisonous spiders includes safley killing the ones you can see. Vacuum them up and expose of the bag outside. Clean away webs, again safely, to monitor for future activity. Seal cracks and crevises, window sills, pipes, door thresholds, holes etc, to prevent them from coming back into the home. Remove debri and piles where they may live and breed. Professional extermination is the best route for infestation of poisonous spiders.

12. IrishO'Brady

IrishO'Brady New Member

State:
    Ga
    We have an on staff scientist at the school who says daddy long legs arent poisonous at all, that that is just rumor and tall-tale.

Actually the funnel web spider of Australia is correct

13. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    The most poisonous spider is the " Grand Daddy Long Leg " Beleive it or not.. i did a report in school on spiders and didnt beleive it myself. its lucky that they cant bite you cause they love tents when your out camping and all that other good stuff....

14. catfish_jordan

catfish_jordan New Member

State:
    Lincoln,NE
    it is the brizilean wandering spider. so i will congratulat ka c4 boom beacause he was the first to get it.:big_smile:

15. IrishO'Brady

IrishO'Brady New Member

State:
    Ga
    "The problem with the 'Daddy Longlegs' is that the name is used for several kinds of animals, 2 of them arachnids:

1) The family Phalangiidae (a part of the opilionids [harvestmen], a different order than spiders)

2) a spider: Pholcus phalangioides

Number one doesn't have poison glands. Number two has poison glands but as far as in the scientific world, nobody has ever been bitten by one of them. It's not sure if the poison has ever been investigated since there was no need for it."

This is a response via e-mail from Herman Vanuyten of the Arachnology Research Home Page- So according to this the traditional thought of a "daddy long leg" isnt even a spider... so while the results on the other specie are inconclusive due to the fact that they cannot test it, the one you are reffering to is not.

16. IrishO'Brady

IrishO'Brady New Member

State:
    Ga

actually this is a disputed fact among even arachnologists, experts in this field. Its a debate between that and the Sydney Funnel Web Spider.

17. cattinfever999

cattinfever999 New Member

State:
    KY
    Is a wolf spider dangerous? I guess that's the name, that's what Vlparrish calls them.

18. IrishO'Brady

IrishO'Brady New Member

State:
    Ga
    poisonous is actually not even the correct term for a spider- venomous is.
    And even spiders who are not venomous use mild acid like fluid to "melt" or "liquify" the insides of insects to drink like a milkshake. This acid like substance can essentially turn large pieces of your skin into mushy pockets of puss- which isn't poisonous but is particularly painful, and prone to infection. When dealing with spiders it is always best to be cautious and proceed with respect-
    Chris

19. rudepossum

rudepossum Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    Daddy Long Legs. I look in my coffee every morning just in case my wife gets wise and decides to give me a boost

20. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I can tell ya the least deadly would be the NIKE spider. It has a checkmark across the top of its body and doesnt move much.