what's the max amount of blue gills your aloud to have with you in ohio

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by catfishfearme, Aug 21, 2009.

1. catfishfearme

catfishfearme New Member

State:
    govecity,ohio
    Is there a limit on how many gills you can have at one time in the state of Ohio ? iv been told that they are game fish with no limit,and iv been told that you can only have 36 at one time.thank you for the help:big_smile:

2. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    if thats the case is there a time you truly need more than 3 dozen per person??? thats a lot of bluegill...

3. catfishfearme

catfishfearme New Member

State:
    govecity,ohio
    well to tell ya the hole story, my brother's buddy just got this land and it has a pond on it that's about 1 acker (sp?) and its only about 4' deep, he sead he is going to fill it in next spring and that i could have the gills in there, so what i was going to do is get them and put them in a pond that a city owns for kids to get.( and bait for me next year )

4. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Not sure on the limit, but I do know transporting a fish from one body of water to another public body of water is illegal.

5. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I usually catch 70 or 80 at a time. It is always nice to go net them out of the tank when you need them.

6. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    You may catch all the blue gills you can. There is no limit on how many you keep.

7. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    keep them in a tank your allowed 500 unless you have a bait dealers permit then you can have more that what it says in the laws

Last edited: Aug 22, 2009
  8. Moose1

Moose1 New Member

State:
    STEUB, OHIO
    WELL IF IT WHERE ME,I WOULD DRIVE AT NIGHT AND TURN THOSE LITTLE BUGGERS LOSE. IF THE GAME WARDEN STOPS AND ASK WHAT DO YOU THINK YOUR DOING, TELL HIM YOU TOOK YOUR LITTLE FRINDS OUT FOR A COOL SWIM AND NOW THEY WON'T GET OUT OF THE POOL. AND YOU JUST DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO TO MAKE GET BACK IN THE BUCKET, SO'S YOU CAN TAKE THEM HOME.....:wink::smile2::smile2:

9. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Agreed I know a pond that was drained an had other half a barrel full of them an were released into water. Wasn't I, but heard about it. Oh well that's a rumor an of course state had boughten this property. I believe they gave em all to someone so maybe he put them in his own pond dunno.

10. rasmotherman

rasmotherman New Member

State:
    salineville, ohio
    you can keep a thousand gills if you like. NO LIMIT means NO LIMIT. in ohio (unless restricted on that lake) there is no limit on gills. you may transport these gills. there is no law saying you may not. transferring them to another body of water? yeah that will get you in trouble. i would load them up, wait till dark and dump them. moraly what you are doing is not wrong. they just dont want disease being transferred from one body of water to another.

11. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    Just a really, really dumb question here. Is there anybody in this state that actually reads the fishing regulations book that they have sitting there when you buy your fishing licenses? Looks like Slim Daddy was the only one that did.

This is from the very first section in the regulations:

BAIT It is unlawful for any person except licensed bait dealers to possess more than 100 crayfish or in combination 500 crayfish, minnows, and other bait fish. A bait dealer's permit is required of persons buying or selling minnows, crayfish, and hellgrammites. This permit may be obtained from any wildlife district office.

Now I suppose as long as the bluegill were dead you could get by with having more then 500 as long as you told them you were going to eat that many. Here is the link to the 2009 fishing regulations for anyone that might need to read it. Sure would be alot safer to read it then take advice from someone that does not know the laws.

http://www.ohiodnr.com/wildlife/dow/regulations/fishing.aspx

12. rasmotherman

rasmotherman New Member

State:
    salineville, ohio
    bluegills cannot be sold as bait. ohio dnr refers to them as gamefish not bait. (though we may feel otherwise)
    "Bluegill are an important and abundant sport fish in the United States. They are also one of the most common species in Ohio and can be found in almost every body of water throughout the state. Larger fish are usually caught in late spring or early summer while they are spawning in large colonies near shore."
    http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/Home/species_a_to_z/SpeciesGuideIndex/bluegill/tabid/6561/Default.aspx

13. rasmotherman

rasmotherman New Member

State:
    salineville, ohio
    where does it say you have to take your catch home dead? isnt that why we have livewells? so the meat doesnt fill with coagulatd blood and taste bad? so he is taking his 5000 gills home to fry. which is NOT illegal. on that page they specify certain bait, such as crawdads, hellgramites, minnows. they forgot gills? i would think gills are more important than bugs. find me something that says no more than ____amount of gills and i will believe your OPINION. untill then re read what you suggested we should have

14. D_Weezy

D_Weezy Active Member

State:
    Cadiz, Ohio
    Name:
    Dale
    Jason,

I think you need to read them again.
    http://www.dnr.ohio.gov/wildlife/dow/regulations/fishing_limits.aspx

Who ever said bluegill are considered bait fish by Ohio law? They are not. They are sport fish.
    http://www.flipseekllc.com/wildohio2009sportfish.html

http://codes.ohio.gov/oac/1501:31-13-04

Bluegill are considered sportfish. Bluegill can be used as bait because, "any fish caught by legal means can be used as bait". Just because they are used as bait, doesn't make them a bait fish. That would make bass or any other sport fish that you use as bait, a bait fish. There is no State limit on the number or size of bluegill that you can keep. You just need to check for local rules.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2009
  15. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    I think where you all are getting confused and I believe that Jason is correct here is that if you are going to be using whatever as bait then it becomes bait not sportfish so you can only have the alloted 500 if you do not have a license to sell bait.

If Im not mistaken you can sell bluegills as bait as long as you raise them in your own pond or something like that. Really tho if you have questions that should be answered by DNR then ask them. You will get every answer under then sun from us fisher people but only DNR can tell you the real skinny if its not spelled out in bold fasion in the license info.

Contact information
    wildinfo@dnr.state.oh.us

16. rasmotherman

rasmotherman New Member

State:
    salineville, ohio
    you cannot sell gills for bait for any reason. you can sell gills for stocking purposes only. you cant even sell the meat from a gill. as long as the gills are taken by rod and reel you can take a couple of hundred home to eat. you cannot transfer them to other waters, sell the meat from them, or sell them for bait. also you may not put them in an aquarium without a permit. these rules are the same for bass, crappie, walleye. the only difference in them is that there is no limit on gills.
    RE: "if you are using them for bait"
    using a bass for bait doent make it a baitfish. same for gills. we are allowed to use sportfish for bait in ohio, as long as they are already established in that bodie of water. also watch bringing gills from home to your lake cause that is transferring fish from one bodie of water to another.

17. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Again it is up to interpretation Im not trying to start a friggen fight jeese man if a ODNR officer wants to charge you for it they can since it is apparently up to their interpretation. Again if you have a question that is about the LAWs of Ohio and how they may be interpreted contact them do not put a question on a fishing board asking what they may think do you think that would keep you out of trouble?

Re if you are using them as bait then they are bait is exactly what I was getting at. You may think that it doesnt make it baitfish but it might according the laws. Contact the ODNR with your question then put what they said on here and ask it exactly as you are doing now and if there is any interpretation to the law i.e. if it is bait...

18. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    From the ODNR site.

Bolded would be up to interpretation by an ODNR officer.

19. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    This is exactly my point on doing your own research on laws instead of reading about it on a fishing forum. Rasmotherman show me in the laws exactly where it is illegal for bluegills to be sold as bait. Also while your looking that one up find where it is illegal to transport a fish from one body of water to another. Seems like this poor horse has been bet to death several hundred times over the years and yet someone still gets on here and gives out the laws according to them. I am by no means trying to argue with anyone. I just hate to see people giving other people their interpretations of the laws as the truth.

20. x smokin joe

x smokin joe Well-Known Member

State:
    Monclova,
    Name:
    Joe
    It is unlawful to buy or sell any fish taken by angling from any water area in the state where an Ohio Fishing License is required.
    It is unlawful to transport and introduce any aquatic species (fish, invertebrate, plant) from one body of water to another.
    It is unlawful for the public to tag and release fish into any public water area.
    It is unlawful to clean fish or possess fillets while on or at a body of water. For more information, see OAC 1501:31-13-08 J

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/wildlife/dow/regulations/fishing_general.aspx
    I had the page last night and can't find it now. Bluegills can be sold as bait as long as they are bought from a pond certified by the state. This change was allowed 2 years ago because of proliferation of pay ponds in southern Ohio.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2009