Whats the LATEST ICE REPORT on the River??

Discussion in 'Gateway Catfishing Club' started by SkipEye, Feb 3, 2009.

1. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Hey folks.....if you have an update on the latest ice conditions on the rivers try to post up here.

Some warm weather heading our way for the weekend but possible stormy weather. Still.......might be a few folks planning a trip.

So........state your observations please.

Possibly we can keep this updated the rest of the winter.

Thanks!

2. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Clear out this way. Thinking about getting out this weekend...

3. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Skip I was down at the River this morning here in Council Bluffs Iowa(Missouri River),North of you Folks and there was NO Ice at all.So maybe with this warm weather we are supposed to get this weekend All will be clear.J.D.

4. catfishsafari

catfishsafari New Member

State:
    missouri
    I think ice is great for rum drinks and that's about it :eek:oooh:.

5. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    The Missouri looked clear at St. Charles but keep in mind I was looking from the Blanchette bridge as I crossed, most likely will have some chunks here and there that might be tough on a transducer or prop.

Decided to check out Winfield Dam on the Mississippi. Completely froze over ABOVE the dam except in the barge lane, that was chock full of busted ice though. BELOW the dam looked great. Drove a mile downstream to Alyssa landing for a closer look and there was definately ice chunks in there, not a lot, but present regardless. Still could take out a transducer if you are moving too fast. Not much ramp left in the water either so not sure about launching there. Might work, might not!

NEXT!:wink:

6. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    Darryl , I haven't been on the river since Sunday. While you guys were watching the football game I was on the river fishing. Saturday no Ice, Sunday we dodged Ice all day long. We put in at CB and ran up to the dam. Mississippi had Ice, from CB to the mouth was clear sailing. I hope the rain misses us I am realy looking forward to getting out next weekend.

7. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Jason, did you fish the Missouri at all? I mean it was CLEAR of ice and everything.

59 for a high predicted for Saturday with 15mph SW winds. Might be a bit choppy but not too bad. Only a 30% chance of showers, that will be the 30% that I am on if I make it out.:smile2:

KUTTER STAY HOME!!!!!

8. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Below the dam at Clarksville,Mo. river is clear for a ways anyhow.Last Sat their was 3-4 boats in the water.boat ramp looked real good.Above the dam like Winfield solid ice except for barge lane.Be careful out there if you go out.

9. katcatchingfool

State:
    illinois
    No I didnt fish the Mo. Everyone I fish with is from IL. And they dont have a Mo. liscense so I have to stay in IL. water when i fish with them. I am looking forward to fishing the MO. I have a couple of spots in my head that I would like to try. I think there might be some fish that needs hooked swimming in them waters.

10. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I buy BOTH licenses so I don't have to worry about it. It's cheap enough for the whole year. $26.14 online for the Illinois Non-Resident. ($24.50 plus fees) and you can even PRINT it out on your computer, that's pretty hassle-free. Not sure that Missouri is as easy.

11. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    Above the dam in Alton is not an option. Below the dam as of yesterday, I would say is doable. Small areas of the river where there is slack current is holding ice. But the majority of the river was ice free. Keep in mind though.... the Maple Island ramp is very unusable and looks pathetic quite frankly. :smile2: :embarassed:
    I drove across the JB bridge this morning and the river looked very clear. Then I drove across the chain of rocks bridge this evening and it also look good to go.
    From what I've seen, the time to go is going to be during this next warm up.
    Remember, I'm boatless, and if you're itching to get out..... but don't want to go alone, CALL ME!!! :smile2:

12. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Why are you boatless? news to me.

13. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    It needs some love. I'm taking the toon to the shop this Saturday. :sad2: Hopefully, they don't keep it half the Spring.

14. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Skip, MO is almost as easy on the license with the exception that you print out a receipt to use until the license they mail to you arrives. That's how I bought mine last year.

Haven't been over the river in a while, but the back yard pond is frozen solid:smile2:

15. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Except that I found out that MO's nonresident fishing is $40.00 and IL's is only $24.50......glad I live in MO. Already bought my 2009 IL license for the year.

16. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Skip, as bad as I want to go out on the river in these freezing temperatures, I will refrain, solely as a favor to you.:wink:

17. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Skip, makes sense, where would you pay more to fish??:smile2:

18. BEHITJ

BEHITJ New Member

State:
    Wentzville
    went out on the mo river monday all day had bites all day but only caught 1 fish no ice at all. couldn't get any fresh bait at all no shad to be found.

19. katcatchingfool

State:
    illinois
    John you are a stud!! Wasn't Monday's high around 9 degrees? I could be wrong.

Freespool do you have a Mo. Licence? I am thinking about hitting the river this weekend.

20. SLIPKNOT

SLIPKNOT New Member

State:
    Alton,IL
    Man I would love to hit the river this weekend as welll. I gotta go to Tennessee all weekend and film a youth duck hunt.......I heard its gonna be in the 50's HERE.....