whats the largest flathead caught in Dayton

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by katkiller77, Nov 6, 2008.

1. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    Just curious whats the largest flathead caught on the great miami near Dayton this year Rick

2. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I took a PB channel of 12 lbs but only managed a 19 lb flattie this year, ( Last year took a 30!) of course the year isnt over yet......:wink:

Salmonid

3. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    I got a 20lb carp out of The great miami liver works so well on the great Miami for Carp. I can not complain but i have to agree the water was messed up this you are right this year is not over Rick

4. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    If you want bigger catfish on the GMR, dont use liver...Fresh cut bait or live bait will generally catch bigger fish.

And you wont catch a flathead on liver, unless you are very lucky..I have been chasing flatheads for 30 years and never caught one or saw one caught on liver.

5. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I am sure there have been some large fish caught in these waters although I have personally never fished them.

6. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I know of a few 50-lb flats from the gmr...But this river is so heavily fished, they dont seem to get a chance to grow before people take them out.

7. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    jack i use liver for channels goldfish and bluegill for the flatheads.

8. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    biggest i have caught near dayton was a 33lb fish. seen one i am sure was 40 a long time ago (near Moraine) but think that was a rare freak. every hatch of a given fish has a handfull of those "freaks", most dont make it (learned from a very informative article on California's FREAK LM Bass breeding). a "Freak" on the scioto or muskigum may be 70lb compared to a 50lb GMR flat of the same Age. i have heard stories, and seen pictures of fish that were supposedly 50+lb and was HIGHLY sceptical. i honestly think the flatheads for the most part top off at about 35-40lb on this river. south of hamilton (where my PB came) they seem to get just a little bigger though. the GMR though is a fabulous Channel fishery, seems to have more and bigger channels than the Scioto or Muskigum watersheds.

9. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    Biggest fish ever caught out of my boat on the GMR was a 15 or 16 pound flathead, cant remember the exact weight, but it wasnt all that big.

10. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    makes sense that south of Hamilton Ohio fewer low dams to keep the larger fish out of the ohio swimming north. well I can hope to find my 35 pounder hopefully between miamisburg and franklin in 2009 Another reason I am wondering I am going further south on the gmr especially Rentschler Forest park near Hamilton did that once fishing caught a nice 8lb channel good water their. this will help my planning on my trips in 2009. Rick

11. Still_Waters...

Still_Waters... New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Yeah, I'm about at that point too Rick, about to hit up the maps and check things out for next year...

12. kittiehunternm

kittiehunternm New Member

State:
    ohio
    can any one give me an idea on were to fish the great miami near west carilton?

13. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    the low dam by moraine airport near appleton paper just off alex road

14. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    I usually walk the river in the winter on a day thats in the low 40's found a sweet place in miamisburg of course it is a secret that how i find places that rock. it to walk find sharp bend in the Gmr railroad tressels deep hole sand bars stuff like that. i hope that helps out rick

15. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I think that all of us who fish the GMR consider a 20# Flathead "Good", even a 15 # Flathead is "Decent".

16. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    this is how i find alot of spots along the river where i fish, saves the footwork http://maps.live.com/

17. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    Mellon I have to agree with that one 20lb shovelhead is good rick

18. TheRiverRat

TheRiverRat New Member

State:
    Hamilton,Ohio
    I go there all the time they usually are about 12-25lbs my biggist one there is 27 lbs cought in a channel that comes off the river in hamilton at rentchler park.:angry::confused2::sad2::eek:oooh::cool2::wink::roll_eyes::big_smile::smile2::tounge_out:

19. Still_Waters...

Still_Waters... New Member

State:
    Ohio

Thanks a lot, I'll definitely be checking that out.

20. Montgomery

Montgomery New Member

State:
    OHIO
    i havn't landed many flatts in 3 years. so very little in ashamed. but i did catch a 20 pounder this year . north of dayton .