Whats the largest bait you've used for catfishing?

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by repoman3809, Nov 6, 2008.

1. repoman3809

repoman3809 New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohi
    Hey guys for the most part I've always fished with shad, occasionally I'll go on the hunt for skips. But this year I've been branching out with bigger baits. I know this might offend some anglers(it even hurts my feelings since I love all game fish), but it seems like every time I turn around I got a stripper in my cast net. In years past I couldnt bring myself to use the guy as bait. But in the constant search for the "holy sh_t" size cat....I've changed my thinking and decided to use them. Normally I dont have much luck, but last night I hooked into a nice size fish on a 2+ pound stripper, unfortunately my "heavy duty" steel leader didnt hold up. My question to you though....whats the biggest live bait you've used? What type of fish was it? And how much luck had you had with it?

2. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    5 inck bluegill myself rick

3. smokey869

smokey869 New Member

State:
    frederickt
    i would say a 12 inch sucker chub was the largest, was maybe a lil over that, i caught the one in my profile on a 10 or so inch one :wink:

4. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    for catfishing, (flathead) its gota be the 12 inch bass..= 42 lber:wink:

5. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    the biggest that i have used was a 2.5 pound largemouth. big old flattie grabbed it and crushed it then dropped it.

6. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    10-12" live or dead whole shad.

7. repoman3809

repoman3809 New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohi
    Thats guys! It also leads me to wander whats the biggest bait thats had luck. I mean the larger cats I have caught pale in comparison to some of the large ones others on BOC had caught. But even my large cats appear they could shallow a 2lb fish. Are trophies feeding on normally 5lb+ fish?

8. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    14 in. gizzard shad !!!

9. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    My favorite bait in the whole world has got to be a very large Bluegill. In the spring ...the bigger the better. I have used skipjacks up to 2 lbs about 15" long. I have used cut baits....cut drum.....cut shad....live shad.....just about anything I can catch....I have fished with. All of my big Cats have come from large live Bluegills at night!!!!!:cool2:

10. JKrupp

JKrupp New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Me and a buddy were fishing the maumee and he was using a 1.5lb bullhead and a 6 lb flat came and ate it. I wouldn't have believed it unless I saw it with my own 2 eyes but that sucker ate a fish 25% of its body weight. Flats are pigs.

11. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    Kinda off subject a little bit, but I saw about a 10 Lb flat with a 17/18" Crappie stuck in his throat, both dead. Biggest Crappie I'd ever seen, if they hadn't stunk so much I would have taken them to the taxidermy man.

12. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    2 pound Drum was the bigest i have used and caught a flathead on. it was a 15 lb'er

13. repoman3809

repoman3809 New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohi
    Thats crazy....I caught a 26lb blue the other day and off a cut shad. As I'm looking at him I'm thinking, how much food does he see like this, cant be much. He's got a mouth big enough to swallow one of those smaller kids footballs. I know this fish is eating whatever is in the area. But it was a nice deep ledge on an outside bend, with good structure and sandbar from a creek. Most every fish will hold in that type of area. He's got to be eating 2 to 4 pound fish on a regular basis, I would think. If thats the case.....whats a 75lb cat doing? Is he feeding on 7lb+ fish? If I am searching for him, do I want to pass on the whole skip for a 7lb+ bait, whatever it may be?

14. Still_Waters...

Still_Waters... New Member

State:
    Ohio
    You guys can't forget though that the big ones don't always hit the big baits, I don't know how many 10+lb channels I have caught on A single wax worm, and have heard countless stories of people catching nice Flathead on cut bait, but for me the biggest bait I say I have used would have to be a bluegill about 6+ inches.

15. repoman3809

repoman3809 New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohi
    I agree....but using a bigger bait you can definitely weed out the smaller fish. I guess what I was looking for when I started this thread was: Are big cat just eating more quantity generally? Or are they eating less quantity, just bigger meals? If bigger, whats too big?

16. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I got this one tonight for a trip to the Ohio River Saturday.

Attached Files:

17. repoman3809

repoman3809 New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohi
    Got a couple a little smaller and I'll be out their with ya tomorrow. Hope you have a good day. BTW how far are you from the river and does Neocats ever have a Ohio river tournament?

18. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    We had a tourney on the upper Ohio in august this year, but don't have one planned for next year as of yet. I want to get with Matt Mckinney of Cincinatti RIver Cats and see if we can put together something with both organizations.

19. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    hey jeff is that one of those talking bass???:smile2::smile2::smile2:and is there a voice box in it thats says here kitty kitty:smile2:

20. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

I'd watch about posting that and not get caught if you're gonna use a sport fish for bait here.:wink:

http://fw.ky.gov/pdf/08fishboat2.pdf?lid=2036&NavPath=C101C203C682

Its on page 6 under Live Bait for Personal use. I just don't wanna see you get in trouble for that. I'd love to use sport fish for bait here but I can't. Thats 1 reason I get an OH license, I can use them with that license...:wink: